US Ambassador Kenney showers praise on Phuket

webfact

One further point of interest. In a conversation with a very senior Chinese person, it seems the Chinese have a 'law' for want of a better word, that requires certain procedures to be followed in so much as any complaint by a Chinese citizen abroad and reported to an Embassy official must be investigated and a report on that investigation filed. Perhaps that is why the Chinese Ambassador appears to have some cahones where the rest of the excuses for Ambassadors seemingly happy to shrink under the table so far as their citizens rights and justices are concerned.

If you look at your history, the Chinese have been absolutely astounding chroniclers of everything that happens. Until the Red Guards came in and destroyed so much, they could tell you what the Emperor had for dinner on June 23 of 1426.

But, just like the Stasi, they have so much information that they can't possibly act on all of it. The incident ends up filed away, where in 2086, some historian will find out that a Chinese tourist was assaulted in Phuket in 2013. And absolutely nothing was done about it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diplomats are briefed extensively on the country that they are working in.

The ambassador is well aware that Thailand has a long history of not responding to international condemnation and of Phuket's myriad of problems. Private talks are the way to change things.

TV posters miss the point yet again.

Well private talks over how many years now have done absolutely sweet FA so why not try another way.Bring things into the open.

Mind you that is not Americas way with all the security forces they have sneaking around and delving into peoples private lives.

What are you hiding? You better tell us now. We're going to find out anyway. whistling.gif

I guess she didn't rent a JetSki while she was there.

Gotta wonder if she's just spewing out what she's been told to say, or if she honestly doesn't have a clue about the BIB,.

"Gotta wonder if she's just spewing out what she's been told to say. . ."

Modus operandi for the current regime.

Edited by venturalaw

I guess she didn't rent a JetSki while she was there.

Gotta wonder if she's just spewing out what she's been told to say, or if she honestly doesn't have a clue about the BIB,.

Of course she knows about the jet ski scams, and of course she's just reciting what she was told to say.

The U.S. isn't going to strain diplomatic ties over a few robberies and assaults. Thailand is a strategic regional partner, from the "war on drugs" to checking China's influence in SEA, so the U.S. will choose its battles accordingly.

It does't seem as if she's here to represent the interest of her fellow Americans.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or maybe she just thinks in little more in the future, and on a grander scale. Like having TLand as an ally is more important than offending an easily offended nation

I think she's a diplomat with DiploSpeak she's thankful for every cop ( not, to....)

But really giving a little credit, has not the new chief of police actually been doing some good? He was transferred here from Pattani and I think has been making positive change.

"No abyss is traveled in two steps"

She's right too, Phuket is beautiful, still many parts at least.

And yep, I live in the country side , with all the conveniences ( and annoyances) of a small city close at hand.

Edited by MacChine