US Ambassador Kenney showers praise on Phuket

webfact

Diplomats are briefed extensively on the country that they are working in.

The ambassador is well aware that Thailand has a long history of not responding to international condemnation and of Phuket's myriad of problems. Private talks are the way to change things.

TV posters miss the point yet again.

Thanks Dad!biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ambassador is well aware that Thailand has a long history of not responding to international condemnation and of Phuket's myriad of problems. Private talks are the way to change things.

Indeed. I doubt she's that stupid. She's going to collect one of these days very soon and it will be done behind closed doors.

But I have to say her compliments to the police force were extremely over the top. She must be embarrassed and right now, is "showering" an embassy toilet bowl.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I understand public condemnation is anathema to diplomacy. But to publicly praise those who turn a blind eye to the injustices perpetrated against her fellow Americans, and their navy, isn't the right answer either.

Yes sir.

And a Thai friend of mine said that it's common knowledge amongst the locals on the beach down there that every time the US or British Navy are in town, it's open season for scamming (often resulting in threatening behaviour)

Well said. Just because China's ambassador recently came here to lambast the local governor, who decided to take a trip to Nice France and missed the Chinese ambassador's visit, might just tell you a thing or two about world politics versus local politics.

Edited by Jimi007

I guess she didn't rent a JetSki while she was there.

Gotta wonder if she's just spewing out what she's been told to say, or if she honestly doesn't have a clue about the BIB,.

Of course she knows about the jet ski scams, and of course she's just reciting what she was told to say.

The U.S. isn't going to strain diplomatic ties over a few robberies and assaults. Thailand is a strategic regional partner, from the "war on drugs" to checking China's influence in SEA, so the U.S. will choose its battles accordingly.

It does't seem as if she's here to represent the interest of her fellow Americans.

Of course she is. But not just the Americans living here. She's also looking after the interests of the other 99.9% of Americans that don't live in Thailand, as she should.

How long do you think she'd be in that position if she came out and called the place (any place) a den of thieves and a filth pit, and suggested demanded a thorough cleanout of the corrupt estate?

Frankly, I think she may have stepped over the line when she said the problems were outside of local control. Problems? Outside of local control? Bold words for a diplomat. Those words will now be parsed and scrutinized and taken out of any context and may come back to haunt her.

She clearly doesn't have a clue.

She clearly does have a clue. As an ambassador, you come in and praise the people on the front line. You then use diplomatic channels to resolve the conflicts. Let her do her job, and trust in her. You have never had a position to match hers, and the thought of riding a horse into town to clean it up just does not work except in movies.

She clearly does have a clue. As an ambassador, you come in and praise the people on the front line. You then use diplomatic channels to resolve the conflicts. Let her do her job, and trust in her. You have never had a position to match hers, and the thought of riding a horse into town to clean it up just does not work except in movies.

Perhaps the problem might be that in most countries the folk who are receiving compliments know it's nonsense talk but in LOS it is taken as WOW. ...................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I presume the people on the front line in this case are Phuket's policemen. I don't agree that her praise was warranted. Moreover, she didn't just praise them: "I totally understand that you did your best and tried your best to help. It was just out of your control." What was out of their control? A mob of taxi drivers blocking the navy's entry to the island? How is that out of their control? Saying that isn't praise: it's relieving the police of their responsibilities altogether, while also emboldening the mafia.

The navy has had many run-ins with the "Drivers Union" and there's never been anything approaching a resolution yet. All that's ever discussed it seems is the amount the drivers are allowed to extort from our sailors. If Thailand is an ally, it should act as such, and show our military courtesy enough to provide safe entry into the country.

The ambassador's remarks demonstrate this isn't a battle the U.S. is going to fight. What's occurring in Phuket isn't going to be resolved diplomatically, so there's no reason to embarrass our sailors even more with such "praise" for the police.

So she has totally exposed herself as inept.... One wonders what the motive is....Maybe someone very important is going to benefit somehow? All eyes on CIA non marked aircraft departing Phuket with passengers unknown.... All smiling and reflecting on the LoS.......

Perhaps the problem might be that in most countries the folk who are receiving compliments know it's nonsense talk but in LOS it is taken as WOW. ...................:coffee1:

Sorry but cannot agree with you there.... With the track record for that particular area indicating a certain level of lawlessness against farang, one might deduce that this is a charade for whatever reason. Ambo's do not operate unilaterally outside any ministry of foreign affairs without some good reason..... Imagine the precedent this sets globally.... It's a right old US of A larf in my view. Now the real reason behind it is the tantalising thing......

I seriously doubt that any diplomat from any country at the ambassador level is going to get directly involved in disputes between some tourists and a jet-ski scammer. It may possibly be mentioned as an aside, and concern expressed, but I'm sure the diplomatic relations that exist between (i.e.) the US and Thailand are far more complex and on a higher level than random tourist scams.

These are local problems, and need to be solved locally. Any diplomat would recognize that and approach those problems, well... very diplomatically, as not to upset 'more important issues' in their relationship.

• Like 1

The U.S. isn't going to strain diplomatic ties over a few robberies and assaults. Thailand is a strategic regional partner, from the "war on drugs" to checking China's influence in SEA, so the U.S. will choose its battles accordingly.

It does't seem as if she's here to represent the interest of her fellow Americans.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

US government does'nt represent it's citizens, it serves Goldman Sachs and that's it.

Thai government does'nt represent it's citizens, it serves Thaksin and that's it.

X government doesn't,,,etc pp ad nauseam...

Umm, what does Thaksin have to do with it? Where the tuk tuks and jet ski mafia not around when the yellow shirts where in govt?

It's one thing not to discuss specifics in public, as often diplomacy requires such discretion, but to out and out thank Phuket's police force --<deleted>!

This woman's actions, and the actions of whoever's pulling her strings, disgrace her country. That the world's most formidable navy is allowed to be bullied by a local mafia every time it makes port is but another example of the travesty passing for the U.S. government these days.

Thai culture wont change even if The Titanic resurfaced and arrived at Phuket.

Much rather see some servicemen overcharged than see our children's blood spilled in unjust wars.

It's one thing not to discuss specifics in public, as often diplomacy requires such discretion, but to out and out thank Phuket's police force --<deleted>!

This woman's actions, and the actions of whoever's pulling her strings, disgrace her country. That the world's most formidable navy is allowed to be bullied by a local mafia every time it makes port is but another example of the travesty passing for the U.S. government these days.

Thai culture wont change even if The Titanic resurfaced and arrived at Phuket.

Much rather see some servicemen overcharged than see our children's blood spilled in unjust wars.

So allowing some servicemen to be overcharged will prevent unjust wars? Not sure I follow you here.

You're right that Thai culture won't change; that's why I didn't even broach that topic.

My main concern is the state of U.S. diplomacy these days. What is my government getting in return from Thailand on other issues that they haven't remedied the problems affecting the U.S. Navy in Phuket, despite years of mistreatment.

One poster said she is protecting American interests not only here, but for the 99.999% of Americans that don't live in Thailand. I don't necessarily agree with this: The U.S. government protects the interests of the U.S. government, even if those interests run counter to the interests of the average American. That is obvious in this day and age.

Not critcising in public is one thing, but to actively praise each Phuket police officer publicly is hardly sending out the right message.

Well private talks over how many years now have done absolutely sweet FA so why not try another way.Bring things into the open.

Mind you that is not Americas way with all the security forces they have sneaking around and delving into peoples private lives.

• Like 1

this one has sand in her eyes, ears and other body parts...

all is well... euh ... yes, all police officers of the island were with her that day

...yes, all police officers of the island were with her that day

That would have turned out as a new entry to the Guinness Book of Records:

“The biggest mafia gathering since the funeral of Al Capone”

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

US government does'nt represent it's citizens, it serves Goldman Sachs and that's it.

Thai government does'nt represent it's citizens, it serves Thaksin and that's it.

X government doesn't,,,etc pp ad nauseam...

Umm, what does Thaksin have to do with it? Where the tuk tuks and jet ski mafia not around when the yellow shirts where in govt?

Let me explain my post to you, FDog: It is generalizing sentiment on how governments do not serve the interests of their citizens.

I seriously doubt that any diplomat from any country at the ambassador level is going to get directly involved in disputes between some tourists and a jet-ski scammer. It may possibly be mentioned as an aside, and concern expressed, but I'm sure the diplomatic relations that exist between (i.e.) the US and Thailand are far more complex and on a higher level than random tourist scams.

These are local problems, and need to be solved locally. Any diplomat would recognize that and approach those problems, well... very diplomatically, as not to upset 'more important issues' in their relationship.

I was thinking the same, but, if Phuket is the main source of complaints or requests for assistance, I can see why the issue may be raised, officially.

Basically, Phuket is causing many Embassies, most of their "work" - and politicians/public servants do not like to work. :)

There was a story recently where the Australian Governmnet was considering having an office on Phuket, due to the amount of assistance that was requested from here.

Whenever there has been a meeting of Ambassodors on Phuket, they have, collectively, bought the same issues up, over and over, because these issues are what creates most requests for their intervention or assistance.

So, it's possible it may have been officially raised in talks.

Perhaps I have long harbor red a misconception as to one of the roles of an Ambassador and Embassy - that of protecting its citizens abroad. I have read several pages of content regarding the role of the American Ambassador and nowhere do I see mention of protecting the expatriate citizens or tourists abroad. There is mention of some minor administrative duties such as notifying relatives on death and that sort of thing.

So given that it is obvious that the Ambassadors really have no interest in helping their own expatriate citizens can we assume their role is to promote foreign policy and promote business and trade for the benefit if the home nation. In other words they could not give a rats about the injustices and scams meted out to foreigners living as expats.

As expats we really have no voice and it seems a misplaced belief that Thailand has a just system of law on which you can depend and a further misplaced belief that in some way should normal justice not prevail then the embassy will be there in an official capacity to object at the highest level.

The horrendous corruption generally and racist treatment of foreigners by the police, particularly in Phuket and Koh Samui but also throughout Thailand means that tourists and expats cannot expect justice and may well get the opposite. Thai police will try anything to obstruct a foreigner who has a valid action that would result in something bad to a Thai. You see it everywhere and if you get targeted you will really open your eyes.

The problem that is overlooked is that this lack of access to justice not only affects foreigners and tourists but businesses to. In advancing the interest of trade should these countries not be petitioning for access to justice and a cleaning out of the police force to make it socially beneficial and to promote justice?

Whilst one may not expect a diplomat to come out and lambast a place, especially one from a failing nation scared of the new kid on the block, one does not expect out and out lies either. The American Ambassador may have no interest in helping her citizens here but she should certainly not be praising he very people who are persecuting them.

It's f#{^*%d up!

Edited by timewilltell

One further point of interest. In a conversation with a very senior Chinese person, it seems the Chinese have a 'law' for want of a better word, that requires certain procedures to be followed in so much as any complaint by a Chinese citizen abroad and reported to an Embassy official must be investigated and a report on that investigation filed. Perhaps that is why the Chinese Ambassador appears to have some cahones where the rest of the excuses for Ambassadors seemingly happy to shrink under the table so far as their citizens rights and justices are concerned.

When making a complaint to my own embassy they told me to go to the police and through the domestic justice system. Of course most of us know that is akin to going to hospital saying your doctor has poisoned you and the hospital sending you right back to the doctor so he can finish the job! There will be no report filed because like the Thai police the Embassy will avoid the problem by simply ignoring you.

Maye the Chinese are a little more concerned with the treatment of their own citizens because they are less bothered with niceties since they gain little from trade with Thailand. From a position of strength they do not have to play the diplomatic game of subservience to Thailand which all the other spineless nations seem to be playing. I don't think it is a matter of what is said behind closed doors because I see the problems only getting worse and a marked ambivalence to corruption where the people involved are now using the press to expose other semi-official agencies wanting their cut of ฿100 million a week (or was it a day) from the cake of corruption. When it gets so the corrupt are openly admitting their involvement in the press and no one does anything about it, it can hardly be seen as an improvement.

There is no rule of law in Phuket anymore. It is a rule of corruption and no one cares or is brave enough to stand up and confront it. Do not visit Phuket, do not invest here either until the government cleans up the justice system and makes some inroads against the racism that pervades it. Racism has no place in any system of justice!

Edited by timewilltell
  • Like 1

what a load of twaddle

Well she is the American Ambassador. The US where BS is a way of life. "Have a nice day' from most who don't give a rat's ass about how life is treating you. The word 'beautiful' must precede the name of any downtown area of any city. There are many good things about the US and Americans - I wouldn't include facing realities and calling a spade a spade amongst them.

• Like 2