Thai Social Security

I have been employed by the Thai Government for 8 years, under annually renwed contracts (with non-immigrant visa & work permit). I have had Thai Social Security withheld from my pay during this time. I have several questions:

1. Is it correct for for ex-pats to be subject to Social Security withholding?

2. I was 60 years old on the last contract signing and Socail Security is still being withheld - is this correct (60 being the normal retirement age)?

3. Assuming it is proper for these amounts to be withheld, how does an ex-pat claim Social Security reimbursements (or benefits)?

I am getting conflicting answers to these questions - anyone with similar experience?

1.  Is it correct for for ex-pats to be subject to Social Security withholding?

2.  I was 60 years old on the last contract signing and Socail Security is still being withheld - is this correct (60 being the normal retirement age)?

3.  Assuming it is proper for these amounts to be withheld, how does an ex-pat claim Social Security reimbursements (or benefits)?

I am getting conflicting answers to these questions - anyone with similar experience?

1. anybody working in Thailand and paying taxes also has to pay social security contribution, regardles of nationality.

2. as long as you work and pay taxes you also have to pay social security regardless of age.

3. you should have a social security card given to you by your employer. for medical treatment go to the hospital/clinic assigned to you and show the card. you'll have to pay the bill first and later file a refund claim at your local social security office.

there are limits as to the amount of claims you can make.

for example:

dental care: not more than 200.-Baht per time and not more than four times per year!

I'm not sure about other types of refunds (never tried it) but it is my understanding that if your medical problem is related to your job (accident at work etc.) it will be fully covered.

Anybody has more accurate info in this regard? I would also be very interested in the details since I can't find any reliable info in English.

opalhort

As I understand it, the current rate (as of Jan.'04) is 5%

the employee pays 5%, the employer pays 5% and the government pays 4.5 or 4.75% (??)

until Dec.'03 it was 4% for employee and employer but since Jan a 1% has been added to cover 'unemployment benefits'.

The maximum salary subject to this withholding is 15,000.-Baht. meaning that if you earn over 15K you pay social security withholding based only on 15K.

opalhort

Current rate as of January is 10% (split between employer and employee means each have to bear 5%). 3% each was what it started with when the law was actually enforced and became applicable to ALL employees. Before it was only concerning organizations with more than 10 employees.

The rate is based on a maximum of THB 15,000 means the highest premium to be paid is THB 1,500 a month (THB 750 employee and THB 750 employer) even if your monthly salary is THB 50,000 or above.

The relevant authority informed my company in November last year already with an official registered letter that the rates are going up to 10%. Last year it was 8%.

It is correct that EVERYONE - independant from nationality - in a working relationship needs to pay that social security. In exchange you get credit card sized cards (one made out of paper and the other a hard plastic card).

Coverage by the insurance is indeed very low and if one has an actual (work related!) health problem he/she is surely better off to head for Bangrumrad and pay the bills privately.

Anyway, payment is mandatory. Make absolutely sure your payments are in line with the law. Authorities do not forget and if it turns out that you have paid the wrong rates you have to compensate for the shortage and get charged something like 1.5% interest per month on top which can sum up quite a bit if its for a period of two years or more. Also if you try to extend your visa and work permit correct social security payment is an important issue and prove needs to be provided that payments were correct.

Last but not least the actual benefits are not really security or health coverage but rather two nice little cards and increased chances that you get your work permit and visa extended.

"Current rate as of January is 10% (split between employer and employee means each have to bear 5%). 3% each was what it started with when the law was actually enforced and became applicable to ALL employees. Before it was only concerning organizations with more than 10 employees."

I have a friend, who worked as a teacher without a work permit years ago. His employers (2) kept automatically 3% of his pay.

Unlikely that this money went into government coffers. I would guess, that the employers just pocketed it...

:o

Opalhort.

I can only refer to my better half. She say that the amount is 5% employe and 5% employer. She had an accident three years ago and the social security covered all hospital bills.

The social security can be used at a few selected hospitals. Not only Goverment Hospitals. The accident was not related to here work.

She also say that dental care now is max 400 baht x 2 a year.

Opalhort.

I can only refer to my better half. She say that the amount is 5% employe and 5% employer. She had an accident three years ago and the social security covered all hospital bills.

The social security can be used at a few selected hospitals. Not only Goverment Hospitals. The accident was not related to here work.

She also say that dental care now is max 400 baht x 2 a year.

you are probably right. I wish I could find all the details somwhere in English.

yes, you can select hospital(s) and they can be private ones participating.

It appears to be up to the doctor to decide wether you are covered or not, for example if one has problems because of smoking, alcohol, drugs etc. they'll reject coverage (at least this is my understanding).

dental coverage:

last year my wife (Thai) had dental care three times and was refunded only 200.- Baht each time and was told that the forth time will be last for that year.

Could this have changed now?

I'm wondering if Admin could post some detailed info in English regarding social security.

opalhort

Just to reconfirm - my SS withholding is only 1.5% (Perhaps because my employer is the Thai Govt.??). I do have the health coverage cards mentioned, but have never attempted to use them for anything, feeling that private coverage is superior).

Private is the way to go if you can afford it. :o