90 day reporting by post.

According to the info on the Thaivisa home page, when doing 90-day reporting by post, it is not necessary to send the actual passport in the post. However this information dates from 2006 so it could be out of date.

Discussing the issue with a friend, he insisted it is necessary to send the actual passport to do 90-day reporting by post. However this contradicts the information on Thaivisa.

So which is it?

Your friend is wrong, you need only send copies of the relevant passport pages plus latest TM6 departure card, duly signed and dated, with a postal 90-day report. Be sure, however, to ensure that each passport double-page and the TM6 are copied to separate A4 sheets as certain immigration offices (in particular Maptaput in my case) are extremely fussy about this!

You will also need to enclose with your completed TM47 the original (not copy) of your previous 90-day notification slip provided by Immigration.

Edited by OJAS

And this is the information as provided by immigration:

http://www.immigration.go.th/

Notification by registered mail
Photocopy of passport pages with following pages
- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.
- current visa
- last entry stamp of immigration
- last extension of visa
Photocopy of departure card TM.6 click to view Example TM.6 card
Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any) click to view Example document
Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 click to view Example document (Don't forget to sign name.)
Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
Send the mail before the renewal date 15 days to Immigration office
Notice :
- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.
- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.
- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.
- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)
- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt.
Note
The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
  • Like 1

Don't believe there is any rule you can not do that - but I would make sure all are sorted to each other and stapled that way so taken out as three files and return envelope has sufficient size and postage on it.

EMS to your local Immi office should cost 18B, include return-addressed envelope to yourself with 3B stamp.

Thus 21B, cost less than 05 litre fuel, bargain! AA

There is no such postal rate as 10 baht. If you want to play safe put a 5 baht stamp on which covers you to 100 gms. 9 baht (the next rate up) covers you to 250 gms. A quarter of a kilo. You can't possibly be sending that much paperwork for a 90 day report. The next rate up is 15 baht. There is no 10 baht rate.

And please use real stamps, not those awful sticky labels. Yes, I do collect Thai stamps.

I report to Immigration at Laksi, Bangkok, where 3 Baht stamp on the return envelope is OK..

What is NOT ok, is sending your reg. mail 15 days before, cause they´ll just sign the TM47 on arrival, and that´s about 3 days after you sent it, and 12 days before the actual 90 days are due!

This is stupid, very stoopid, why they do it, I dunno, so the next time I´ll just mail it 3 days before the 90 day period is up.

BTW - don´t they want copies of ALL pages of the passport?

Edited by laurits

And for the copies, BE SURE TO SIGN EACH PAGE. This somehow makes them legit in the Thai system.

FYI, when I was doing mail-in 90-day reports I sent them EMS, not Registered, worked fine and seemed to be easier to track.

Mac

No, you don´t need to sign them, not at Laksi/Chaeng Wattana

Edited by laurits
  • Like 1

< BTW - don´t they want copies of ALL pages of the passport? >

Three single-sided photocopies are wanted:

the main photo page showing your happy smiling face

the page with your visa stamp*

the page showing your extension stamp*.

ALSO required is a photocopy of your departure card (showing date of most recent entry). As this card is stapled, just remove it and copy it with either (or each)of the pages* above.

[You will also need to enclose with your completed TM47 the original (not copy) of your previous 90-day notification slip provided by Immigration]

So, inside your registered letter to Immi should be 5 sheets of paper + that self-addressed stamped envelope. Until the rules change, AA

There is no such postal rate as 10 baht. If you want to play safe put a 5 baht stamp on which covers you to 100 gms. 9 baht (the next rate up) covers you to 250 gms. A quarter of a kilo. You can't possibly be sending that much paperwork for a 90 day report. The next rate up is 15 baht. There is no 10 baht rate.

And please use real stamps, not those awful sticky labels. Yes, I do collect Thai stamps.

The printed flyer that I picked up at Nakon Sawan Immigration explains what is required. It states that a 10 baht stamp is required on the return envelope. I have been doing it for years and get the 10 baht stamps at the post office.

It may just be good luck, but my last 90 report to CW by post 15 days in advance was returned with only 3 days less than the full 90 days (it was a weekend.)It seems they held the report until the last day possible.

But they do sell 10thb stamps and the official web site instructs you provide a return envelop with a 10thb stamp. Be safe and do as they ask.

There is no postal rate of 10 baht. It's utterly pointless putting a 10 baht stamp on a letter. 3 baht would easily cover what you're sending, 5 baht if you want to play safe.

Maybe, but I'm going to do as asked because just not that expensive to use a 10 baht stamp. And you are getting back all your photocopies, a blank TM7 and your receipt from your last report.

The requirement is a 10 baht stamp - why even ask. If you must use logic perhaps the 7 baht extra we often get charged as receiver on overweight packets could explain it? 3 baht plus 7 would equal 10 baht. But I am not a postman; so would just go by the rule.

You don't know what you are saying, there is a 10 baht stamp and I use it to send my 90 day report and have a number of them at my house.

Remark about including a copy of the "current visa" page: if you're on extension already, your visa has run out. I've had several extensions already and a new passport as well and don't include a copy of the visa. Which seems to be fine.

I once got a 10 Baht stamp for the return envelope smile.png Next time I asked for a 10 Baht stamp I was given two 5 Baht stamps clap2.gif which seems to be perfectly acceptable.

You don't know what you are saying, there is a 10 baht stamp and I use it to send my 90 day report and have a number of them at my house.
Me too. Phra Khanong has 10 baht stamps...

Having written and had published an 81 page book about the definitive stamps of the current King, I assure you I do know what I am saying (about Thai stamps anyway).

I didn't say there was no stamp of that value, there is. The latest printing of 10 million was released on 11th Nov. 2012. I said there was no postal rate of that value. ie how much Thailand Post charge you for sending letters of different weights. The postal rates for ordinary letters are 3 baht, 5 baht, 9 baht, 15 baht. I re-iterate, there is no postal rate of 10 baht, so unless you're sending dozens of sheets of paper then 3 baht is enough, 5 baht if you want to play safe.

The Immigration office in Chiang Mai has changed the 90 day's reporting procedure about mail, the current procedure is as follows ...

Those resident in Chiang Mai City can no longer apply their report by post, it has been cancelled.

Those not living in Chiang Mai itself can still carry on sending the report by post, the reason being that the Immigration office to not want to force them to travel long distances for their 90 day reports.

As a result those foreigners living in Chiang Mai itself must take their position in the queue again.

Edited by personchester

The Immigration office in Chiang Mai has changed the 90 day's reporting procedure about mail, the current procedure is as follows ...

Those resident in Chiang Mai City can no longer apply their report by post, it has been cancelled.

Those not living in Chiang Mai itself can still carry on sending the report by post, the reason being that the Immigration office to not want to force them to travel long distances for their 90 day reports.

As a result those foreigners living in Chiang Mai itself must take their position in the queue again.

Out of curiosity, how many windows are there at Chiang Mai Immigration dedicated to 90-day reports?

If a solitary one as at my office (Maptaput), then I pity the poor farang natives of Chiang Mai City who will presumably now be obliged to queue behind legions of couriers/agents seeking multiple reports on behalf of whole armies of local Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, etc workers - to be eventually attended to by an IO who insists on faffing about doing sweet FA for 5-10 minutes between each punter to boot, and is, furthermore, constantly interrupted for blank copies of the TM47 form.

Would also be interested to hear which other offices also refuse to accept mailed-in reports - either wholly or (as in Chiang Mai's case) partially.

• Like 1

The way i do it is :-

I send a self addressed envelope with a 10 baht stamp and my name on it for the return acknowledgement paper.I photocopy all my stamped passport pages and send it to the 90 day reporting.I send them a tm 47 form, a copy of my tm9 card, and the original receipt received last time i reported for 90 days.

The envelope addressed back to comes back in about 10-12 days and i stick the piece of paper i get from thai immigration in my passport for my next time 90 days reporting.

its simple if u do it the right way.

I sent mine in at 0842 on Monday, 17 JUne via EMS. I included a SAE with a 10 baht stamp. I received the form back with the new report date via regular mail on Thursday 20 June. They also included a new TM 47 form. I use Nakhon Sawan Immigration. The stamp on the form was 18 June. My original report date was 1 July, so I "lost" 12 days, but didn't have to drive the 200 + kilometers to report in person and it only cost me 47 baht and a trip to the local post office. If your immigration office allows reporting by post, some don't, it's a no mrainer!