Windows Start-up

kkengvibul

I'm not sure what i did, but right now everytime i turn on my computer.....it goes to this black page (before the windows xp loading page)...and it lets me select whether i want to start:

Windows HOme Edition or

Windows Home Edition (Tuenup backup)...

is there a way to fix this?

I'm not sure what i did, but right now everytime i turn on my computer.....it goes to this black page (before the windows xp loading page)...and it lets me select whether i want to start:

Windows HOme Edition or

Windows Home Edition (Tuenup backup)...

is there a way to fix this?

YOU CAN FIX THIS BY EDITING A FILE CALLED BOOT.INI IN YOUR C:/ DIRECTORY, but why bother, it is doing no harm.........sorry for the caps, i didn't realise till after i had typed

YOU CAN FIX THIS BY EDITING A FILE CALLED BOOT.INI IN YOUR C:/ DIRECTORY, but why bother, it is doing no harm.........sorry for the caps, i didn't realise till after i had typed

DID YOU NOTICE IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FASTER IF YOU JUST RETYPED THE LINE RATHER THAN WRITE AN EVEN LONGER APOLOGY IN LOWER CASE? oops, sorry just noticed caps lock was on too.

Don't modify boot.ini directly because you can screw up the system and besides you have to change its attributes first. Do it by menu: start -> my computer -> view system information -> advanced -> startup and recovery. You can change what you need there.

thanks guys!..its not fixed...

and also..lately i feel that my computer is taking kinda longer to reboot than before...is there a way to improve this? I heard that i can choose the programs i want on start-up..but i dont really know what i need...

also...when i reboot...after the windows xp loading page comes up, it disappears and become a dark screen...

then the welcome page comes up....and then the screen blinks again (turn into the black screen)..

after a matter of seconds, the screen comes back on...(im pretty certain the screen is not broken)

is this a problem? any way to fix it?

For Windows XP

Right click on ‘My Computer’ ‘Properties’ then the ‘Advanced’ tag

‘Startup and Recovery’ – ‘Settings’

There you should see ‘Default operating system’ with drop down window.

Uncheck the ‘Time to display list of operating systems: or reduce the value to zero.

That should get rid of your start up problem.

As for the dark and blinking screens can’t help you. I am getting similar thing happening. Don’t know if it was happening before but I seem to notice it recently. Any help on that would be welcome.

Beachcomber. :o

For Windows XP

Right click on ‘My Computer’ ‘Properties’ then the ‘Advanced’ tag

‘Startup and Recovery’ – ‘Settings’

There you should see ‘Default operating system’ with drop down window.

Uncheck the ‘Time to display list of operating systems: or reduce the value to zero.

That should get rid of your start up problem.

As for the dark and blinking screens can’t help you. I am getting similar thing happening. Don’t know if it was happening before but I seem to notice it recently. Any help on that would be welcome.

Beachcomber. :o

Yes, that's the way to do it.

post-3503-1143805435_thumb.jpg

I shouldn't worry about this "blinking"...when Windows loads all sorts of things happen with your boot screen.

There are many ways to speed the boot up time. The best way is to buy a new computer. Really. All other ways are a bit geeky.

Generally windows does these things when it starts - checks that all your hardware has corect drivers, checks all your registry, starts necessary services needed to run Windows, and loads start up programs - things like Yahoo Messenger.

You can check all four stages one by one. Some will give you big speed improvement, some not, and you can screw your computer many times over in the process, but also learn a lot about it.

If you want to take that road - don't rush, do one thing at a time, it might take a week to learn the steps, and you'll probably need dedicated, separate threads here on TV as well.

And you'll get rid of some of the display changes in the process as well.

I would also suggest "obtaining" a copy of System Mechanic by Iolo Technologies. I use a rather old version (5.5a) but it has everything I need. Mind you, this software needs to be used correctly so for those who are not very software/hardware literate, you will need to spend some time learning how to use it.