Will Pattaya Be Affected By 12am No-drink Cutoff?

Membrane

Hey Membrane ! You still taking care of our girl? :o

I agree , the place will become a strange site after midnight.

A lot of farang and Thai bar owners will feel the pinch, makes me glad I never went down that route , had enough chances. I suppose the Hotels willhave some interest in the marketplace though!

Chon

There are several 'Entertainment Areas' designated in Patty - Walking Street for instance.

But as these designated areas must be at least 100 metres from a Wat or a school, then many bars are affected by the stupid law.

If the intention is as stated - to keep the yuth of Thailand out of trouble - then it is surely a simple matter for the local plod to ask for IDs and warn-off offenders. No need to interfere with Thailands most popular foreign currency earner - tourism!

But that is not the real agenda of our current Interior Minister or Deputy Prime Minister. Both are out to stop the alcohol and sex trades. It is in their cultural upbringing and their beliefs. Regrettably (?) it is not in mine!

I'm begining to think this is all just idle chatter by the thai govt. They'll reverse course in the end- since this is sort of thing that might cause a shakup. If not funny enough unless I'm mistaken hotels are not affected by the new social order campaign hence the all night bars that are open. (get away with 2AM closing times now by having rooms to rent) If this is the case I can forsee a load of rooms cropping up for rent in the non-entertainment zones. :o

greetings, Membrane from your old mate

There should now be a alternative plan regarding entertainment venues and the new fascist rules...all expats know what they like...as in going to a beer bar or somewhere else and lining up a dolly for the evening's entertainment...1500 baht for a night will give some security to a girl that will have to fight others for short time for 500 when the lights go out at 11:30 down at the bar.

Find your lady in the late afternoon then take her back to the hotel and relax. I like the Surf Beach Hotel in Jomtien with the nice sidewalk restaurant downstairs...plenty of places to buy booze nearby and all the rooms have got a minibar. Hang around the bars until closing knowing that you have your own party fixed up back at the hotel...

'Are we not men?'...then demonstrate that simian idiots cannot take our pleasurable activities from us...

Guest IT Manager

I am pleased to report a change of view at village level. TRT has started being called Thai yed Thai and T'sin yed Thailand. There is hope yet.

###### off gfunk... :o

If you want to discuss Pattaya with me you will find yourself woefully short on info , so open up a new thread you sad trolling <deleted>..etc

Chonners, i think you would make a good Pattaya Forum 'govner. :D

Don't bite Chon as he probably spanks one off everytime you do :o

Well I live in a country where unofficial bed time is 11pm but at weekends it's 2am,

and certain nightclubs can get special late night licenses I think this route would work quite well in Thailand aswell.

Why are the Thai gov treating Weekend nights the same as Week nights anyway?

Theres too many <deleted> who go to Patts , hang on thats a poem!

No I think the forum admins have there work cut out for them.

I could be the forum admin for offering pricks like Gfunk out for a sound beating...yes Beatings admin sounds good!

Line up who's first?

:o

Taken from Pattaya Mail :

For example, he said, dance venues inside the designated “entertainment zone(s)” would be allowed to operate from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m., but those outside the zone would be required to close at midnight. Beer bars inside the zone would be allowed to open from 11 a.m. to midnight ... Thai massage parlors inside the zone would be allowed to operate from 4 p.m. to midnight and outside the zone, 6 p.m. to midnight.

Places offering live music and shows inside the zone would operate from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m., but those outside the zone must close at midnight. He said that these regulations will come into effect as of March 1 this year.

Full article

Effects on Pattaya? I own 10 studio's in a condominium in Jomthien which I rent out for short term stayers. In the last 2 weeks I had 2 reservation cancellations, with as reason the uncertainty of what will happen with nightlife by the time they would be here!

For those interested in a nice condo, I'm selling out!!!

Good a few less people in March! :D Anyways - I think its not the time to panic yet. Let's see how this pans out first - I honestly don't think it will unless the govt is looking to be toppled. I think a vast majorty of Thai's income comes from tourist dollars and they are playing with fire because this is their livelyhood. I for one will wait and see what happens - do see the coppers getting rich over this one if this proceeds as scheduled. :o

Brit is right, but if worse comes to worse I guess all we can do is adapt.

knowing that you have your own party fixed up back at the hotel

see what I mean?

good to see your thinking ahead tutsi, doesn't sound too bad.

I have been guilty of doing that myself, ofcourse the lady has always been my wife, but essentially it is the same thing. Although she has a couple of girlfreinds hanging around, makes for some interesting photos :o

Thanks for your concern Axel.

of course she is always right there with me. Just a bit of fun.

Besides she always carries the pruning shears with her when we go out with her girlfriends :o

sorry to say, the old butterfly has had his wings clipped :D

:D

I think this new 12.00 closing rule won't cause major problems.

Ex-Pats who live here, like myself just don't care, it's the tourists that will be hit, because they come here to party and go mad a bit. When I first came to Pattaya bars were open until 4.00 and even then stayed open except the lights and music was off.

If all the bars on say soi 2, 7 and 8 etc. close at 12.00 then there will be a mass exodus to walking street and the go-go's and discos etc. there.

Manila went exactly the same way except drastically so. Ermita and Malate are a ghost town now, very hard to find entertainment, so Pasay City and Paranaque hold some action now.

I still reckon that 80% or more of tourists don't care about late bars, though, if they come to Pattaya is primarily for the bar-girls, and they are available round the clock (check spelling).

Just to put a bit of "fact" to this thread. The "zone" has been set as pretty much from dolphin roundabout to bali hai pier and from 3rd road to beach road. Unless I am truly mistaken that would pretty much leave all expats with somewhere to drink after midnight of they so choose.

Of course all of those on the other side of sukhumvit may have to relocate after the witching hour, but then the police tend not to care too much about those bars anyway.......

Just to put a bit of "fact" to this thread. The "zone" has been set as pretty much from dolphin roundabout to bali hai pier and from 3rd road to beach road. Unless I am truly mistaken that would pretty much leave all expats with somewhere to drink after midnight of they so choose.

Of course all of those on the other side of sukhumvit may have to relocate after the witching hour, but then the police tend not to care too much about those bars anyway.......

Sorry 'Manfromoz' but you have exaggerated a bit.

There are six zones in Pattaya, each with a distinct area defined by Soi and even whether it is the North or South side of the Soi.

As I posted above - there are off-limit areas around various Wats, schools, some sois without bars / restaurants / massage parlours.

There are many people I know with bars or other night-time businesses outside the designated areas who are worried sick.

I am happy, however - I plan to buy a house later this year and expect prices for decent expat premises to fall as a good 10% of the business men in this area leave for greener pastures. I may even buy into a bar or two, for when the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

Monty - I understand your problem, but Condo rentals are in trouble all over Patty at the moment, where I am many farang have left this year - down from an average of 150 in the block (behind Monty's Pool) to about 30 each week.

Up2U, where did you find out the information on the entertainment zones in Pattaya? And can you post the full details?

As far as I can tell there are no official zones for Pattaya yet. One bar owner has told me that the boys in brown have informed him that he can stay open as he does currently, but there may be zoning next year.

It appears that there is only a provisional zone for Pattaya, the only official zones being the three in Bangkok. This from a recent edition of Pattaya Today:

Provisional entertainment zones have been published by city hall. These reveal that there will be three permitted zones which run from soi 18 in Naklua to the Bali Hai pier in south Pattaya. The boundary is basically Third Road. From there to the beach, fun spots will generally be permitted. However, areas on the other side of Third Road will not be zoned for entertainment and no new registrations will be issued.

This seems contradictory to your statement that there are six zones. Some enlightenment please?

I have been searching the web for the past 24-hours (since posting the six-zones thing), but without success.

This all came up a long time ago - at least a couple of years ago, when Purachai was Interior Minister. At that time I saw a map of the proposed zones for Pattaya, also all the information about nothing within 100 metres of any Wat, school or solely residential area.

between Dolphin Roundabout and Walking Street there were three or four zones, extending from Beach Road to Soi Bua Khao or Third Road. Then there was virtually all of Walking Street, plus areas of Jomtien.

I was researching the possibility of running a bar or two, as partner in a fairly prosperous business, but as the uncertainties of the zoning laws were not resolved, I didn't follow up.

I will back track in Pattaya Mail again, maybe I missed it. About two years ago, I'd say.