Calls escalate for review of Thai rice pledging scheme

webfact

I asked the wife the other day how much her family gets per tonne and was told Bht12,000...I have no idea how this scam scheme works but none of the figures add up bah.gif

The NRPCs Monday meeting is expected to discuss reduction of the rice pledging price, currently set at Bt15,000 per tonne. (MCOT online news)

But good luck to them finding plug to fill this plughole wink.png

I asked the wife the same, and her answer was 11,000 baht a tonne!

Moisture and quality.

I asked the wife the other day how much her family gets per tonne and was told Bht12,000...I have no idea how this scam scheme works but none of the figures add up bah.gif

The NRPCs Monday meeting is expected to discuss reduction of the rice pledging price, currently set at Bt15,000 per tonne. (MCOT online news)

Moisture and quality.

and after two years of storage how much of the original tonne that is salable.

.............................................attachicon.gifcosta.jpg

.............................................S.S. Costa Lottabaht underway.

"My fellow Thais, do not panic, everything is under control. We just don't quite understand the extent of the problem"

Captain Fantastic.

attachicon.gifTS.jpg

Nice photo. what brand of ice-cream does he sell?

Basking & Robbing. Democwacy wanilla rice cream.tongue.png

"Basking & Robbing"

Now that was a moment of pure TV genius!

Moisture and quality.

and after two years of storage how much of the original tonne that is salable.

The moisture and quality grading explains why farmers don't get top price from pledging

"The moisture and quality grading explains why farmers don't get top price from pledging"

No matter how good the rice the farmer takes the men with the money say its moist then give the farmer low money whilst themselves claiming top money.

Amazing. Hiding in the business pages of the other paper apparently there was a statement from the pm office yesterday stating.

130bn for the first 2 crops is the true loss not 30bn and the last year's crops could be 80bn.

Well done the media for not screaming this from the hills.

• Like 1

"The moisture and quality grading explains why farmers don't get top price from pledging"

No matter how good the rice the farmer takes the men with the money say its moist then give the farmer low money whilst themselves claiming top money.

That is the fundamental problem. There is zero independent checking of these tests and the farmer just eats the result, but it has always been like this.

Of course it would be too much for the government to verify this stuff at purchase. That would need a moisture probe. Farmers have been getting shafted here forever.

Edited by Thai at Heart

This is a nice one for the government and it's new PR mob to handle.

Do they lose face by having a review which is an admission something is or may be wrong or do they brass it out and insist it's not as bad as is being portrayed ?

The only thing I'm sure of is no matter what it will be mis-handled

Having a review whereby they might have to admit they are.........gulp!!.......wrong!!, is considered worse than death to a Thai!!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 2

Too late,... the rip offs and dirty mafia business is already in the process...

If there is any truth in this the organised crime cellst that are steeling this money must be found before Thailand's economy fails. I suggest that a one Million baht reward is offered for each name of an organised crime leader that can be charged and removed from the streets now.

If there is any truth in this the organised crime cellst that are steeling this money must be found before Thailand's economy fails. I suggest that a one Million baht reward is offered for each name of an organised crime leader that can be charged and removed from the streets now.

Indy, I often have a problem with your posts but here you have the right idea about finding the organized crime cell that is stealing the money. No reward money will be required, not even from little "Acorn" Shinawatra.

However were a reward offered of one million baht per name, it would be more than the value of the hot wheels in Korat.

I suspect at least 150 million baht would be needed. As for locating said suspects, the vicinity of Baan Phitsanulok and The Parliament building may be a good start.

Unfortunately for anyone investigating these mysterious organized crime cells, the godfather does not reside in Thailand but in the middle east.

Any offers?

edit to add.

"............before Thailand's economy fails"..

I'm afraid it's a bit late for that Indy, the proverbial horse is in the next province and they are still trying to shut the stable door.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

If a government manages to loss 40% (or THB 135 billion out of 337) on a scheme that was supposed to help poor farmers, can we call it:

1. a clear and splendid success
2. trickle down concept in action
3. a disaster
4. criminal

A million Baht for the right answer to be claimed in dy UK

80 billion to farmers, 120 billion to what ever, these numbers really help those poor Isaan farmers. It was a bad idea from day one and no matter how much lip stick you smeared on Yingluck you still had a pig. Notice none of the PTP boys show up to defend this mess come on GK I am sure you could get something good to say out of this.

This is an absolute prime example of what the red 'class struggle' means in practice. Maybe the forum Thaksin apologists think it is OK as some of the skimmed off funds go towards financing the red 'democracy' campaigns. To accept even for one minute that the Thaksin project represents the forces of good just shows you how bankrupt their ideas are.
  • Like 2

After reading various reports that the farmers are still only getting paid around 10-12,000 Bht per tonne, I just don,t understand why the farmers appear to enjoy getting ripped off in this obvious scam. Clearly the arithmetic does not add up and someone higher up the food chain is reaping the difference. Sooner or later they are going to realise they are being taken advantage of, but until then let them play games with their tablet computers while their fat cats are buying Lamborghinis.

Because if the poor farmers complain they would probably get a visit from a friendly group of Red Shirts who would explain that some people are more equal than others.

MUST WATCH!!

Here is a video of Nattawut and Boonsong a few days ago at a press conference when they had promised to explain the rice situation. Watch in horror and if you need then get your wife/GF/Partner to translate. Here we have the ballsiest journalist I have seen in Thailand...a woman! She starts to grill Nattawut saying basically, tell us what has happened to the rice and the money, tell us how much is lost. Nattawut replies I need to ask another department. The Journo is straight in saying you told us you needed 3 days to explain, you have 3 days now explain. Nattawut cannot and goes into schoolboy mode and silence. The camera turns to Boonsong as the journo says, please tell us the truth. The journo's laugh so Boonsong starts laughing nervously. A male journo tells him this is not funny explain. All boonsong says is 'aren't you all tired yet? aren't you all tired asking this? The woman journo comes back saying, how come you can sign and approve large amounts of money for a budget without any problem, you just sign it, yet when you are asked to explain where the money is, it is too difficult!!

This shows the quality of the Ministers, go to the you tube page to find more examples of inabilities to answer.!

When all our Red/PTP/Thaksin fans have watched this, can they please put up an appropriate defensive argument, cause I can't wait, I've ordered the popcorn already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwOTniYGTw

Of course, they all know the answers, but can't tell as the truth would be too damming. Got to wait till its been twisted, manipulated and twisted again so the answers given can be meaningless gibberish - and then just hope to balls it out.

Yingluck will play furious at this sudden knowledge and re-shuffle her cabinet, Tarit will try to divert attention to the "losses" incurred by the previous government and Thaksin will skype to get back to the important issue of his whitewash and successful return. They really do seem that arrogant and maybe believe their own propoganda now.

Arriving on the other paper at 10pm is the revelation that the losses for 2011-2012 stand at according 136bn according to the finance ministry.

Hiding also in the report is that in chacoengsao a warehouse smells so bad it is detectable from a few kilometres away.

How does a story like this only hit the news pages so long after the announcement? Surely this should be big headlines.

Arriving on the other paper at 10pm is the revelation that the losses for 2011-2012 stand at according 136bn according to the finance ministry.

Hiding also in the report is that in chacoengsao a warehouse smells so bad it is detectable from a few kilometres away.

How does a story like this only hit the news pages so long after the announcement? Surely this should be big headlines.

This scam is so large that PTP have to cover it up. The crash is coming though.

So the 260 bn would be about right.

So the 260 bn would be about right.

Won't be too far away, and this doesn't count damaged and mouldy product which has essentially no value commercially.

Loose 10% of the total at 15k per ton to zero value and is a catastrophic amount. It's one thing for it to be sellable but reduced in value, but 10% reduced to no value along with the rest devalued 10 to 20%, can mean the loss can add up to 30 to 50% of total very quickly.

^51 Thai at Heart

The Office of the PM Minister mentioned an upper (loss) figure of THB 134 billion (MoF figures) on 335 billion spent 2011/2012 to buy rice. That's about 40% already. Mind you, no data of how the loss has been calculated, what items have caused this loss and how it relates to 22++ million tonnes of rice bought for those mere 335 billion.

^51 Thai at Heart

The Office of the PM Minister mentioned an upper (loss) figure of THB 134 billion (MoF figures) on 335 billion spent 2011/2012 to buy rice. That's about 40% already. Mind you, no data of how the loss has been calculated, what items have caused this loss and how it relates to 22++ million tonnes of rice bought for those mere 335 billion.

they have no clue on the condition of what is in the warehouse. that is going to be a scary job just to remove the damaged product from being shipped.

if the order is 1mn tons and 20% is off nose, the losses will be massive. it won't be economic to ship back and resell, this then either is claimed back in value, or more must be shipped to replace it, I presume.

they will have to inspect it all, sack by sack.

^51 Thai at Heart

Since they are paying 40/50% over market price it's a no brainer that would be the baseline for the scheme losses even if the rice would go straight from the mill to the international buyer. To be added are the "administrative" costs, storage, spoilage, etc, etc...

The government claims the loss figures are wrong and can easily prove it by releasing the figures from the latest review of the scheme - unless a scheme that has been running more than 2 years hasn't had a review. And of course that would show total incompetence at least.

they also said it would take three years before they could give an answer!

The photos and videos of the inside of the rice warehouses that I have seen have all shown wall to wall sacks of rice stacked almost to the roof.

Have seen them poking a gizmo into the sacks and taking out a sample to show, as in 'look it's still in good condition'

The rice in the outside sacks where air can get to them may not be in to bad a condition but what about those in the middle?

With no air circulation there must be a build up of heat from any deterioration particularly from something that holds a moisture content.

Ever seen the heat generated by a pile of grass clippings?

I know from experience with other things that this heat build up can sometimes cause spontaneous combustion.

That being the case it is always possible that a warehouse could burst into flames.

Loss 100 %.