Do you use a GPS?

DrAzTiK

Hello,

I have currently purchased my new bike in Chiang Mai and I am wondering about GPS. Do you think it could be helpull to buy one in Thailand ?

I currently use a 3g key (AIS) internet I am wondering about purchasing a smartphone considering smartphone now have GPS application..

Do you use a GPS while riding and touring ? (on smartphone?standard GPS?)

I just ordered a Garrmin Zumo 350, which is bike-specific (large buttons, weatherproof, anti-glare screen, etc)- I don't like using a smart-phone for navigation and prefer something built for the task- I think it's a great thing to have with you whenever you're touring.

Paper maps are terrific and should be carried as well, but I don't have the greatest sense-of-direction in the world (it's been remarked I could get lost inside a phone booth;)) and I rely (perhaps too heavily) on a GPS.

Do not use gps. But i check my destination from google maps a couple of minutes from my android phone before sitting on my bike if i am not super familiar with that area i am heading.

Other than that i know all over thailand and follow the signs in an old school way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I sometimes use Sygic Navigation for Android. But its not very good. Sygic is not reliable. Sometimes it stops working. And it doesn't tell you if your are going the wrong way. You have to look at the display to be sure you are right. And a smartphone display usually is too small and not readable in sunlight. But mostly i reach my target, so its OK for me at the moment smile.png

Or you can plan your trips at home with Google maps and print the map parts you need.

I guess something like a Garrmin Zumo 350 will be best. Or the cheaper Nuvi, like yankee99 said. And when it rains put a plastic bag over it.

Here is another thread: Gps Devise For Bikes

Would like to know more about this Peaklife GPS. Looks good, but caution: Its chinese iirr! wink.png

Edited by wantan

I use the cheapest Nuvi and it works perfectly. Phuket Town is a mess and I use it all the time to get around. Gas stations, ATMs, government buildings, it's the only way to go. I don't know why you would go for a high end model.

• Like 1

I am not sure to understand how GPS works on smartphone. Do you need internet in order to use it ? Even if you have 3g, I guess you will be ofen lost in some area where internet is not avaible...

No, GPS itself has nothing to do with internet. My navigation software (Sygic) for example runs "offline". Once it is installed it doesn't need any network connection. But Google maps usually needs internet connection to load the map pictures for the position you are at the moment.

The "GPS module" in the phone only detects the current position (latitude, longitude, height). Then you need some software to visualize this position on a map and so on...

I am not sure to understand how GPS works on smartphone. Do you need internet in order to use it ? Even if you have 3g, I guess you will be ofen lost in some area where internet is not avaible...

After I got my iPad mini, I went on a trip to Issan. I found that the Google Maps is a GPS. Fantastic. It is identical to any GPS unit that I owned in the states, telling you in voice about upcoming turns, how much further to stay on this road before you turn onto that road, and the screen shows your location at all times. Even maps out your trip 3 or 4 different ways, and you select which route you would like to take. Like a GPS that you just plug into a cig lighter and does not need the internet, this app is almost the same way. I found that initially I did need to use the Wi-Fi at the motel to set it up, but once that it was done you no longer needed to be connected to the Internet in any way. Acts just like a GPS. I don't have an iPhone, but I would imagine this app on an iPhone would work 100% the same. On the iPad, I would rate this app at 100 out of 100!

You can probably get a mount for the iPad mini- the screen will be tough to see in sunlight, though, and the constant vibration from the bike can damage it after a while- bike GPS units are built to different (and tougher) standards than car units or tablets as they take more abuse.

Edited by RubberSideDown

If using google maps you need internet connection. I downloaded both the Garmin and TomTom app for my iPhone and once downloaded no internet connection is required.

I mostly use them for getting in and out of unfamiliar cities.

After I got my iPad mini, I went on a trip to Issan. I found that the Google Maps is a GPS. Fantastic. It is identical to any GPS unit that I owned in the states, telling you in voice about upcoming turns, how much further to stay on this road before you turn onto that road, and the screen shows your location at all times. Even maps out your trip 3 or 4 different ways, and you select which route you would like to take. Like a GPS that you just plug into a cig lighter and does not need the internet, this app is almost the same way. I found that initially I did need to use the Wi-Fi at the motel to set it up, but once that it was done you no longer needed to be connected to the Internet in any way. Acts just like a GPS. I don't have an iPhone, but I would imagine this app on an iPhone would work 100% the same. On the iPad, I would rate this app at 100 out of 100!

Not just like it as yours requires a data package

You can probably get a mount for the iPad mini- the screen will be tough to see in sunlight, though, and the constant vibration from the bike can damage it after a while- bike GPS units are built to different (and tougher) standards than car units or tablets as they take more abuse.

They are tougher but come with a big price tag. I decided i can buy five normal garmins for the cost of a mc specific one. Mine is a nuvi2xx and still ticking knock wood!

They are tougher but come with a big price tag. I decided i can buy five normal garmins for the cost of a mc specific one. Mine is a nuvi2xx and still ticking knock wood!

I agree with that- for me, personally, though, I can see getting myself so lost to the point where I don't even know which direction I'm traveling and will desperately need the GPS, and that's when one made without weatherproofing will crap out.;)

One nice thing about the 350 is that it has free lifetime map updates, unlike any other Zumo models, so in a few years it can pay for itself (Garmin is pretty good about protecting their proprietary software so bootleg maps can be glitchy and problematic, and you need the real thing).