The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was a bit surprised Cook opted to bat first given the conditions, but the ball hasn't done much, seems the decision was based on not wanting to bat last.

Quite possibly.

Another factor is that foot holes from the Aussie bowlers are already appearing at both ends in just the right spots for Swann to exploit.

Well played Australia. Though I would have liked nothing more than to see a 5-0 drubbing, I hope they end up shutting the flabby mouth of the press with all that 'they don't stand a chance' rubbish. England. Dear me. Although Lords was good -- courtesy of decent batting displays by some and, of course, one should never judge until both teams have batted the wicket -- they have still not turned up to bat. Very frustrating, though reckon a few defeats might wake them up for the return Downunder.

The series is lost, it's all over. Huff and puff all you like. The next two tests are show matches.

Incidentally like you guys I've followed cricket since boyhood, a short playing career of three years, 37 years of watching it. Give it a by with the stupid comments about Scots, there are plenty of Scottish cricket fans and virtually all of us support England.

Sorry to burst your ill founded "caber tossing, what do we know" puerile crap.

Never mind puerile crap. A playing career of three years! The mind boggles! This is an Ashes series. The next two tests are show matches! Haha.I'm sorry but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about..The idea that the Aussies , in an ashes series would just roll over with two games to go in the series when if they won the next two they would square the series is just laughable to anyone who understands the game to be honest. Which you clearly don't, despite your 3 years "career", and 37 years of watching it! Just a tip for you, blether, you won't get too many likes on the cricket forum, especially when you clearly don't know what you talking about! Better stick to the Thailand News forum, which i see you have just discovered will give you lots of 'likes' if you join in with the moronic Thai bashers. I will even concede that you are intellectually superior to the vast majority of them, but i'm sure you have worked that out already.coffee1.gif

Yes, he likes his Likes, though any sweaty sock (giggle.gif) -- barring the upper echelons of the cricketing world up there -- even mentioning support for England in passing or as a joke, unless there's a pint in it, you know there's something fishy going on.

Well played Australia. Though I would have liked nothing more than to see a 5-0 drubbing, I hope they end up shutting the flabby mouth of the press with all that 'they don't stand a chance' rubbish. England. Dear me. Although Lords was good -- courtesy of decent batting displays by some and, of course, one should never judge until both teams have batted the wicket -- they have still not turned up to bat. Very frustrating, though reckon a few defeats might wake them up for the return Downunder.

The unrealistic 5-0 expectations of the public and media may have added some pressure to the English team.

Still. They could win this one and the next, so still 4-0.

All will become clearer when we see the Aussies bat

Bird receiving praise on TMS for his efforts in making the batsman play.

I don't know him; any ideas why he was preferred to Starc?

They also can't understand why Siddle hasn't had a bowl yet.

I understand they left Starc out because his footprints actually gave Swann more assistance than, as expected, Lyon.

(I would always have a good lefty, particularly one who can bat a bit, in the side before a fleet of similar right handers)

Siddle is thought to be better with the older ball, and troubles KP more than others.

The unrealistic 5-0 expectations of the public and media may have added some pressure to the English team.

Indeed. The Aussies have done half the job (albeit quite well) - let's see if they have the balls to target 500 runs in less than a day and a half.

Indeed. The Aussies have done half the job (albeit quite well) - let's see if they have the balls to target 500 runs in less than a day and a half.

They should score at a higher rate than England but whether the batsmen can stand up this game to actually make 500...maybe we can have another big one from Clarke

...even mentioning support for England in passing or as a joke, unless there's a pint in it, you know there's something fishy going on.

Most of the Scots I know that follow cricket will support England against any of the other test nations

SC

Funny how that works ... neighboring countries and the like.

Whenever the Wallabies are playing a Union game ... the All Blacks always some team to to support ... the opposition! Whoever is playing the Wallabies!

Just catching up with the days events ...

I liked this 'crunchy' comment ...

ENG 214/9 | Overs 87 | Bresnan 3*, Anderson 0* OUT! Swann 13(18)

After playing a few crunchy shots to the boundary, Graeme Swann succumbs to his temptation as he hooks Harris straight into deep square legs hands. That has summed up England's day as they have played poorly after a decent start.

HERE

Missed the live action, but that batting performance was shocking and an accident waiting to happen. Apart from the odd individual performance in each game the batting as a unit has not functioned and if we don't sort it out it could be a long winter down under.

• Like 1

Indeed, apart from a couple of individual performances, Root's 180 at Lords for example, England's top 4 have not performed well as a unit in this series. Even when they have got a start, they've not converted it into a big score often enough.

If it wasn't for Bell, we probably wouldn't be 2-0 up; and even he failed yesterday.

Bookman, I think, and most of the commentators seem to agree, that England's slow run rate yesterday had more to do with a tight performance from the Aussie bowlers than anything else; they worked hard, frustrated the English batsmen and got the results they deserve.

Though, as you say, the pitch may also have had a part to play; but we'll have to see how the Aussies fare on it before we can judge that.

Hopefully Bresnan and Anderson can push the score above 250 and at least make it halfway respectable.

It will be nice if Lyon can get the last wicket and his first Ashes fivefor. But with the new ball only 6 overs old, will he get the chance?

Edited by 7by7

Indeed, apart from a couple of individual performances, Root's 180 at Lords for example, England's top 4 have not performed well as a unit in this series. Even when they have got a start, they've not converted it into a big score often enough.

If it wasn't for Bell, we probably wouldn't be 2-0 up; and even he failed yesterday.

Bookman, I think, and most of the commentators seem to agree, that England's slow run rate yesterday had more to do with a tight performance from the Aussie bowlers than anything else; they worked hard, frustrated the English batsmen and got the results they deserve.

Though, as you say, the pitch may also have had a part to play; but we'll have to see how the Aussies fare on it before we can judge that.

Hopefully Bresnan and Anderson can push the score above 250 and at least make it halfway respectable.

It will be nice if Lyon can get the last wicket and his first Ashes fivefor. But with the new ball only 6 overs old, will he get the chance?

I agree both reasonable bowling and the pitch played a part in England scoring slowly..however, it was still a bit slow, everything considered

Innings over without scaring the total. Many are saying we shouldn't judge until the Aussies have batted but even if our bowlers perform well and bowl them out without too much of a lead, it won't excuse our woeful batting yesterday.

While i'm moaning, anybody else find Cook's captaincy and the selectors very negative ? I don't believe there should be many changes but Bairstow is really struggling and Onions should have got the nod in this game.

That's a weird one!

England appeal, Rogers given out.

He reviews and hot sport shows the ball hit his pad, not his bat.

But hawkeye shows he was out lbw on umpires call.

But because the umpire gave him out caught behind, which he wasn't because he hadn't hit it, he was allowed to stay.

If he's out, he's out, I'd have thought; but the rules say different.

Edited by 7by7

More from the BBC

Michael Vaughan, Ex-England captain on BBC Test Match Special
"You can't give him out lbw after a review when you've given him caught behind. The confusing thing is what is Broad appealing for? It's a really grey area. It's very confusing. Broad might have been appealing for lbw and known he didn't get an inside edge."

England were celebrating as they watched the ball-tracker on the big screen, thinking that Rogers was on his way. However, this was a case of the players not knowing the rules. To reiterate, Rogers was given out caught behind, not lbw, so the 'umpire's call' backed Hill's original decision not to give Rogers leg before. Are you as confused as the players? To make matters worse, I believe plans are afoot to change the rules later in the year, meaning future situations such as these would see Rogers given out.

Tom Fordyce, BBC chief sports writer at Chester-le-Street
"Complete bafflement in the Riverside crowd after Rogers survives that DRS review. Were England appealing for caught behind or lbw? Did umpire Tony Hill give his decision to the catch or lbw? There have been many flaws with the review system this summer, but this feels like a new low - mass confusion all around the ground, as much bafflement among the learned old pros as among the punters."

Edited by 7by7

Weird indeed. The pundits on TMS are in agreement that the correct decision was reached, but I can see the ICC are going to have to sort out the whole DRS debacle. We seem to talk more about the umpires than we do the cricket.

Good to see Stuart Broad on fire this morning.

Edited by Bangkokhatter

That's a weird one!

But because the umpire gave him out caught behind, which he wasn't because he hadn't hit it, he was allowed to stay.

Many would say the rule is silly.

However isn't cricket supposed to have a bit of the bizarre about it?

Win some lose some...it made me smile.

• Like 1

That's a weird one!

Comical stuff

Cheers for that ... Mod said Khun BookMan still very Hunsom Man ... rolleyes.gif

She knows her stuff

New link?

Old one dead again!

Or ... what is the secret to the good connection?

Then I can search myself and not bother you !

... maybe you can tell me .. then have to kill me ?

Thanks Mate ...