The Ashes Tour 2013

Was another stunning bowling spell by Broad, while Bresnan's efforts should get a mention in dispatches. I admit to being in the drop him camp, but my thoughts were more about Onions playing on his home ground etc. Broad can be infuriating at times, seems many people want him dropped at some point in each test series and then he produces spells like yesterday.

Pity the MOM can not be shared, thought Bell's hundred was as important as Broad's bowling, having said that, the batsmen generally win them most times.

Hard to see where Australia go from here, Lehman was pretty scathing about his batsmen in his comments after the game and i read only 2 have managed to score a century in 2013. Having said that the majority of England's batsmen seem out of touch.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having been denied victory at Old Trafford due to the weather, I can see your point.

I apologise if I caused offence, I thought you were being light hearted.

Well i wasn't really being serious...but the point was there.. Had it rained all day the Aussies would have felt miffed.

I just want to see Cricket get its rules in order and have the governing managers show some actual leadership.

I agree with your point about the rules etc. The umpire's call is quite farcial when you analyse it. For me the whole DRS and the use of technology has been a bit disappointing this series. Should have all been about the cricket.

• Like 2

It does seem that 'umpire's call' has removed the convention that the batsman should be given the benefit of the doubt; especially in lbw decisions.

But that was only a convention, never a rule; and I'm sure that there's many a bowler who didn't care for it.

It does seem, though, that umpires are more inclined to give lbw decisions these days, especially when the batsman is playing well forward, than they used to be and then let the DRS sort it out.

Which, in my humble opinion, is not what the DRS is for.

• Like 1

A hard fought win at the Oval for the Aussies would bode well for the interest in the Ashes Down Under.

Apparently the Oval is a top notch Venue?

What's our recent record there like?

Well, it was Australia's win there in 1882 which prompted the satirical obituary in the Sporting Times which led to series between the sides being dubbed "The quest for the Ashes."

In the last three series in England:

2001; Australia won by an innings and 25 runs.

2005: Too much time lost to the weather, so match drawn. Notable for two things. KP's maiden test 100 (his 158 and Giles' 59 meant that despite England being just 133 for 5 at lunch, Australia ended up needing 341 off only 19 overs) and that when play stopped for bad light Australia had just started their second innings and scored only 4 leg byes. Making this is the only innings in Test history where all the runs were extras!

2009: England won by 197 runs.

Edited by 7by7

To be honest, did anyone expect anything different?

A batting line up that has everyone apart from Clarke,

Rogers and the bowlers averaging in the 20's.

The trouble is, the guys like Khawaja replacing Hughes

and Cowan aren't better.

Time for new blood but where is it?

They will come through..but not yet apparently..Could we be talking about 3-5 years?

I don't think things are that bad. They had an unsettled spell with changes in the coaching staff etc. I don't believe they are fundamentally inferior to England, but they need to spend more time together as a team and get into a winning habit. England are battle hardened and used to killing teams off. We've generally competed ok for most of the series and if we can stop these collapses and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the return series will be worth staying up for..

I think they are. I don't think that Hughes, Cowan, Smith and to a lesser extent Warner and Watson are up to test

match standard.

Bell has really been the difference but these guys have had plenty of time to prove their worth and continually fail.

To be honest, did anyone expect anything different?

A batting line up that has everyone apart from Clarke,

Rogers and the bowlers averaging in the 20's.

The trouble is, the guys like Khawaja replacing Hughes

and Cowan aren't better.

Time for new blood but where is it?

They will come through..but not yet apparently..Could we be talking about 3-5 years?

I don't think things are that bad. They had an unsettled spell with changes in the coaching staff etc. I don't believe they are fundamentally inferior to England, but they need to spend more time together as a team and get into a winning habit. England are battle hardened and used to killing teams off. We've generally competed ok for most of the series and if we can stop these collapses and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the return series will be worth staying up for..

I think they are. I don't think that Hughes, Cowan, Smith and to a lesser extent Warner and Watson are up to test

match standard.

Bell has really been the difference but these guys have had plenty of time to prove their worth and continually fail.

Khawaja?

Of the bunch you mention, I don't mind Watson, but I don't think he should ever have been opening in test matches. His bowling is accurate and he can tie down batsmen and create pressure. Better coming in late in the order for Test matches. Warner can turn a match, but his ego gets in the way sometimes.

Clarke should always have been #3 or 4.

• Like 1

Final chance for under-fire batsmen, says Lehmann

Darren Lehmann says there are batsmen who will have their Test careers on the line in the final leg of the Ashes at the Oval next week after another capitulation handed England a series victory in the fourth Test.

The Australian coach admitted he thought his team, chasing 299 to win at the Riverside on day four of the match, would ''get them comfortably two or three down, hopefully one down'' after cruising to 1-147 thanks to an excellent opening stand between David Warner and Chris Rogers.

He said it was ''bloody hard'' to accept what happened next, Australia losing by 74 runs after being turned over for 224. At one point inside a dramatic hour they lost 5-13, with a Stuart Broad-led England devastating the middle order and making short work of the rest.

See Full Article Here

Edited by BookMan

Oops, I knew I forgot one!

I don't mind Watson if he bowls as well but not as an opener.

Warner can turn a match but when is the last time he did?

I also agree about Clarke, he should be batting at least at 4.

Yes, true, Warner has not matched up to his promise. Here is a revealing list of all his test innings.

post-147205-0-19333500-1376449526_thumb.

Edited by BookMan

AN interesting snippet of information from an article

At 3-0 down Australia must win at the Oval to avoid dropping to fifth in the world rankings behind Pakistan. If Australia lose at the Oval they will have the worst touring record of any team to go to England

At 3-0 down Australia must win at the Oval to avoid dropping to fifth in the world rankings behind Pakistan. If Australia lose at the Oval they will have the worst touring record of any team to go to England

Is that purely on number of matches/ series lost or worked out as a percentage of series played / losses ? I would guess Australia have toured England many more times than the other test playing nations and stands to reason their number of losses would be higher.

Interesting stat that one. It's 1 of the reasons i love the game so much, can always find an interesting snippet or two.

Is that purely on number of matches/ series lost or worked out as a percentage of series played / losses ? I would guess Australia have toured England many more times than the other test playing nations and stands to reason their number of losses would be higher.

Interesting stat that one. It's 1 of the reasons i love the game so much, can always find an interesting snippet or two.

The article didn't explain the stat but I took it to meant games played on this actual tour. I assume that meant all games including against County sides?

I'd like to follow it up and find out. Certainly if that is the case it makes the Australian performance look even worse than I thought

Done his bit so I doubt he'll be missed. A chance for Finn to return.

England all-rounder Tim Bresnan has been ruled out for the rest of the summer due to a back injury.

Bresnan will miss the final Ashes Test with Australia and the subsequent Twenty20 and one-day internationals due to a stress fracture in his lower back.

The Yorkshire star was a key figure in helping England beat Australia by 74 runs in Durham to win a third consecutive Ashes series.

Bresnan put on 45 runs at Chester-le-Street on Monday before claiming the two crucial wickets of David Warner and captain Michael Clarke in the visiting side's second innings.

The seamer, who was forced to miss England's tour of New Zealand after having elbow surgery, could be replaced in the England side by Steven Finn, Chris Tremlett or Graham Onions, though the latter himself suffered a finger injury on county duty last week.

Tremlett, who would be playing on his home ground, is the most likely option.

The fifth and final Test of the current series begins at the Kia Oval next Wednesday, while it is too early to tell whether Bresnan will be fit to make the trip to Australia for the return Ashes series this winter.

An ECB statement read: "England and Yorkshire pace bowler Tim Bresnan has been ruled out of the remainder of the international season with a stress fracture in his lower back.

"Bresnan will begin a recovery and rehabilitation programme and a date for his return to cricket will be determined in due course."

Done his bit so I doubt he'll be missed. A chance for Finn to return.

England all-rounder Tim Bresnan has been ruled out for the rest of the summer due to a back injury.

Bresnan will miss the final Ashes Test with Australia and the subsequent Twenty20 and one-day internationals due to a stress fracture in his lower back.

The Yorkshire star was a key figure in helping England beat Australia by 74 runs in Durham to win a third consecutive Ashes series.

Bresnan put on 45 runs at Chester-le-Street on Monday before claiming the two crucial wickets of David Warner and captain Michael Clarke in the visiting side's second innings.

The seamer, who was forced to miss England's tour of New Zealand after having elbow surgery, could be replaced in the England side by Steven Finn, Chris Tremlett or Graham Onions, though the latter himself suffered a finger injury on county duty last week.

Tremlett, who would be playing on his home ground, is the most likely option.

The fifth and final Test of the current series begins at the Kia Oval next Wednesday, while it is too early to tell whether Bresnan will be fit to make the trip to Australia for the return Ashes series this winter.

An ECB statement read: "England and Yorkshire pace bowler Tim Bresnan has been ruled out of the remainder of the international season with a stress fracture in his lower back.

"Bresnan will begin a recovery and rehabilitation programme and a date for his return to cricket will be determined in due course."

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Tremlett get the nod. His home ground, and with his pace and height he could be a handful on the hard and bouncy Oval wicket. Would be good to see him back too, thought he always looked dangerous before his injury.

England squad for fifth Test: Alastair Cook (Essex, captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire), Kevin Pietersen (Surrey), Matt Prior (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Chris Tremlett (Surrey), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Ashes 2013: Simon Kerrigan and Chris Woakes in England squad

England squad for fifth Test: Alastair Cook (Essex, captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire), Kevin Pietersen (Surrey), Matt Prior (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Chris Tremlett (Surrey), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Australia's squad should be announced in a couple of days...They are just waiting for anyone to respond to their advertisement of 'Batsmen Wanted'

Do they have to pay their own travel expenses?

They just need a first class average of above 40..Grade Cricket possibly

Ashes 2013: Are England flawed winners?

On the face of it, England's Ashes victory has been a walkover. To be 3-0 up with one to play sounds, to all intents and purposes, like a job well done.

The reality, however, is somewhat different. England's emphatic margin of victory masks performances from the home side that have been often erratic and occasionally ordinary.

With the final Test starting on Wednesday at The Oval, BBC Sport looks at some of the questions facing England and asks two-time Ashes winner Allan Lamb to provide the answers.

Edited by 7by7

Ashes 2013: Are England flawed winners?

On the face of it, England's Ashes victory has been a walkover. To be 3-0 up with one to play sounds, to all intents and purposes, like a job well done.

The reality, however, is somewhat different. England's emphatic margin of victory masks performances from the home side that have been often erratic and occasionally ordinary.

With the final Test starting on Wednesday at The Oval, BBC Sport looks at some of the questions facing England and asks two-time Ashes winner Allan Lamb to provide the answers.

They don't have to be brilliant. They just have to keep being better than the convicts.

Faulkner to debut, recall for Starc, Khawaja Out

"James Faulkner the bowling allrounder, will make his Test debut at The Oval on Wednesday and will bat at No.7 as the Australians search desperately for a way to end their failed Ashes campaign on a high. Faulkner and Mitchell Starc have been included for the final Test while Usman Khawaja and Jackson Bird have been dropped, and the batting order will be reshuffled to feature Shane Watson at No.3 and Brad Haddin at No.6.

The inclusion of Starc was expected but the naming of Faulkner was a major surprise given that it is Australia's batting that has been their biggest issue on this tour. Faulkner has scored 111 runs in the tour matches and has been dismissed only once, but there is no question that his bowling is his stronger suit: in 37 first-class matches, he has made eight half-centuries and is yet to register a hundred, but has 132 wickets at 22.87."

See full article here

Edited by BookMan

Are England flawed?

While they've been far from convincing with the bat, they've still got the job done.

That Aus would 'fire' with bat and/or ball at some point of the series was in little doubt.

While they seem unable to click as a unit, there's still some good individual players there. I'm sure that even the likes of Bangladesh or Zim would also have 'fired' on these decent pitches at some point over the course of a 5 match series (if they ever get to play one) and Aus are still a distance ahead of those two sides.

I feel there is too much expectancy on the England side at times. We expect them to be imperious in every game they play, yet they seem to have recovered the knack of getting the job done after a pretty poor summer last year. Undefeated now in 12 tests (7 wins and 5 draws) makes for better reading ahead of the winter.

Australia win toss and will bat.

Teams:

England: Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Woakes, Broad, Swann, Kerrigan, Anderson.

Australia: Rogers, Warner, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Haddin, Faulkner, Starc, Siddle, Harris, Lyon.

Edited by 7by7