The Ashes Tour 2013

Are we getting a bit precious guys?

Clarke likely to be fined for Anderson sledge

Michael Clarke, the Australia captain, is expected to be charged by the ICC and fined 20% of his match fee for his sledge against James Anderson during the dying stages of Australia's win in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane.

Clarke is believed to have been cited for a level one Code of Conduct offence over the exchange in which he said Anderson, who was batting at the time, should "get ready for a broken f***ing arm". The stump microphone picked up Clarke's words.

It is expected that Clarke will be charged under section 2.1.4 of the ICC's Code of Conduct, which relates to the use of "language or a gesture that is obscene, offensive or insulting during an international match".

Very much so. Clarke's only mistake was the fact that he said this next to the stump mic. From all accounts Anderson is the number one serial pest who loves to dish it out more than anyone in his team. Far worse things get said on a cricket field.

I watch the ABC morning program and they .. actually 'she' was all over it.

I agree with you guys ... get over it.

What I am critical of Clarky is that, not that it was a vicious sledge ... just that it wasn't witty ... didn't pass the 'raise a smile in the Bar' test.

Lets have more of ...

Sir Viv Richards vs. Greg Thomas

During his spell for Somerset in County Cricket, Sir Viv Richards produced a legendary retort.

After playing and missing at successive deliveries, Glamorgan paceman Greg Thomas made the brave decision to give Viv some verbals as to the appearance of the ball.

"It’s red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering."

Of course, the next ball was launched out of the ground by the West Indian legend accompanied with the following words:

"Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it."

I always liked this one.

Merv Hughes was bowling to Robin Smith who kept playing and missing. Finally Merv said, "Mate, if you turn the bat over the instructions are on the back."

smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of my favourites:

Little-known England batsman James Ormond makes this list. Upon his arrival at the crease during a Test match in 2001, Ormond copped grief from Mark Waugh. "---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

Shane Warne bowling to porttly Sri Lanka skipper Arjuna Ranatunga, Ian Healy suggested "bowl him a Mars Bar

Shane and we'll have him out stumped".

Daryll Cullinan v Warne: As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him that he had been waiting two years for another chance to humiliate the South African. The Proteas batsman's response? “Looks like you spent it eating."

Weight was at the heart of Glenn McGrath and Eddo Brandes going head to head. After the Zimbabwe batsman played and missed, McGrath enquired: "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?" This cutting reply riled the lanky quick: "Cos every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit."

And the last one to Captain Grumpy AB

When Robin Smith wanted a drink during the 1989 Tent Bridge Test, AB refused. "What do you think this is, a ----ing tea party? No, you can't have a ----ing glass of water, you can ----ing wait like the rest of us."

• Like 1

Weight was at the heart of Glenn McGrath and Eddo Brandes going head to head. After the Zimbabwe batsman played and missed, McGrath enquired: "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?" This cutting reply riled the lanky quick: "Cos every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit."

That one was my favourite ...

Just that I have run out of likes ...

Stress related illness? I did hear Johnsonitis was quite contagious amongst the England dressing room a couple of days ago....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/embattled-england-no3-jonathan-trott-flies-home-with-a-stressrelated-illness/story-fndpt0dy-1226768146271

That being said, if it turns out he is suffering from a mental illness then, all jokes and sledging aside, wish him well in getting the help he needs!

• Like 1

It seems that this has been building for some time, but no one outside the England camp was aware of it: Jonathan Trott: England batsman leaves Ashes tour of Australia

Not the first time this has happened; the stresses of international cricket can be very debilitating.

For an insight into these and the effects they can have, I highly recommend Marcus Trescothick's autobiography.

I am sure that Warner was completely unaware of Trott's problems when he made his remarks.

I wish Jonathan Trott all the best for a speedy recovery and a return to international cricket.

• Like 1

I am sure that Warner was completely unaware of Trott's problems when he made his remarks.

I wish Jonathan Trott all the best for a speedy recovery and a return to international cricket.

Yep, we have a dig ... but we're not nasty ... "I am sure that Warner was completely unaware of Trott's problems when he made his remarks."

"I wish Jonathan Trott all the best for a speedy recovery and a return to international cricket." ... ditto

Yep, we have a dig ... but we're not nasty ... "I am sure that Warner was completely unaware of Trott's problems when he made his remarks."

"I wish Jonathan Trott all the best for a speedy recovery and a return to international cricket." ... ditto

I'm sure Warner had no idea of the "severity" of Trotts condition but i do think its about time Clarke started to lead by example rather than making comments about breaking bowlers arms. And i very much doubt that the likes of Pieterson and Prior are angels either but at least Cook shows some class.

I suppose my point is that either side can win this series without needing to turn it into a slanging match, and perhaps the match officials should sit both teams down and bullock them.

If Clarke had made that comment to me about breaking my arm i would have punched the little gobshites lights out at stumpsbiggrin.png

Some of my favourites:

Little-known England batsman James Ormond makes this list. Upon his arrival at the crease during a Test match in 2001, Ormond copped grief from Mark Waugh. "---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

Shane Warne bowling to porttly Sri Lanka skipper Arjuna Ranatunga, Ian Healy suggested "bowl him a Mars Bar

Shane and we'll have him out stumped".

Daryll Cullinan v Warne: As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him that he had been waiting two years for another chance to humiliate the South African. The Proteas batsman's response? “Looks like you spent it eating."

And the last one to Captain Grumpy AB

When Robin Smith wanted a drink during the 1989 Tent Bridge Test, AB refused. "What do you think this is, a ----ing tea party? No, you can't have a ----ing glass of water, you can ----ing wait like the rest of us."

Rod Marsh to Ian Botham when he arrived at the crease. "Hows your wife and my kids?" Botham. "The wife's fine, the kids are retarded".

Century-making Australian batsman David Warner says England's Jonathon Trott is a 'weakness'

David Warner has accused England's batsmen of having "scared eyes" in the face of a relentless pace barrage as Australia strives for an Ashes defining victory on Sunday in the first Test at the Gabba.

Speaking after he and Michael Clarke completely dominated the third day with attacking centuries, Warner accused Jonathan Trott of being "weak" for falling again to a Mitchell Johnson short ball, caught hooking on nine.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cricket/centurymaking-australian-batsman-david-warner-says-englands-jonathon-trott-is-a-weakness/story-fnii0bxd-1226766894940

I really hope that Michael Clarke or Darren Lehman tell this boofhead to pull his head in. The last thing we need is this tool

giving the opposition any more ammunition.

It's ok if someone like a Botham, McGrath or Warne come out and say it, as they've at least got the runs on the board

and the credibility.

When you've only played 20 odd tests and average in the mid thirties, one would think he would concentrate on his own game.

Yeah, Warner might have been better keeping his foot out of his mouth

To be fair, his test average is probably slightly higher than his IQ. Amazing that the Aussie management thought it would be a good idea to put him anywhere near a microphone.

Isn't funny how the story unfolds as the days go on. So now Anderson has threatened to punch Bailey in the face?

If so, young Bailey must have been shivering in his boots, lol. Anderson has the width of an ant. Even my late grandmother would have torn him to shreds.

Boys will be boys, cricket will be cricket and who gives a f@@k what they say to each other on the field.

I am just delighted that test cricket still has a couple of nations that still give a toss about this beautiful form of the game.

Rod Marsh to Ian Botham when he arrived at the crease. "Hows your wife and my kids?" Botham. "The wife's fine, the kids are retarded".

+1 (have ran out of likes)

Good sledge ... Great retort.

I'm sure they both enjoyed the verbal sparring.

What irritates me is that Jimmy Anderson lets a pussy like Clarke with a girlie nickname like "Pup" threaten him and he didn't beat the living crap out of the guy in the clubhouse after. Being spoken to like that by a wimpy looking bloke like Clarke has to be highly embarrassing in itself, aside of the fact its appallingly bad sportsmanship. How could he let himself be spoken to like that by a bloke called Pup!!!!!

Basically i think it totally acceptable to use physical assault if you have been the victim of this type of verbal abuse.

Its clear neither side likes each other so why not stick then in a room for ten minutes and let them have it. Atleast they would be behaving like men and not the total w*nkers that they are currently making themselves look.

Simple cure to sledging...you insult me on the pitch and i'll beat the crap out of you at close of play when you don't have the protection of tv cameras. End of sledgingbiggrin.png

Have a Siamtastic day everyonewai.gif

Edited by carmine

What irritates me is that Jimmy Anderson lets a pussy like Clarke with a girlie nickname like "Pup" threaten him and he didn't beat the living crap out of the guy in the clubhouse after.  Being spoken to like that by a wimpy looking bloke like Clarke has to be highly embarrassing in itself, aside of the fact its appallingly bad sportsmanship.  How could he let himself be spoken to like that by a bloke called Pup!!!!!

Basically i think it totally acceptable to use physical assault if you have been the victim of this type of verbal abuse.   

Its clear neither side likes each other so why not stick then in a room for ten minutes and let them have it. Atleast they would be behaving like men and not the total w*nkers that they are currently making themselves look.

Simple cure to sledging...you insult me on the pitch and i'll beat the crap out of you at close of play when you don't have the protection of tv cameras.   End of sledgingPosted Image  

Have a Siamtastic day everyonePosted Image

Why would we want an end to sledging?

Sometimes it is the most entertaining part of a match

*sent from the zombie apocalypse survivors camp payphone

What irritates me is that Jimmy Anderson lets a pussy like Clarke with a girlie nickname like "Pup" threaten him and he didn't beat the living crap out of the guy in the clubhouse after. Being spoken to like that by a wimpy looking bloke like Clarke has to be highly embarrassing in itself, aside of the fact its appallingly bad sportsmanship. How could he let himself be spoken to like that by a bloke called Pup!!!!!

Simple cure to sledging...you insult me on the pitch and i'll beat the crap out of you at close of play when you don't have the protection of tv cameras. End of sledgingbiggrin.png

Because its embarrassing watching grown men behave like immature schoolboys. And at the end of the day, they ain't that funny. If they were they'd be on stage. Sorry, but is calling out "bowl him a mars bar funny?! Just makes the bloke sound like a juvenile pillock. Theres nothing worse than a right boring stuff trying to be funny...in an unpleasant aggressive type way.

I just wish one of the perpetrators got a right beating so we can get back to playing the game. Bunch of pussies

Because its embarrassing watching grown men behave like immature schoolboys. And at the end of the day, they ain't that funny. If they were they'd be on stage. Sorry, but is calling out "bowl him a mars bar funny?! Just makes the bloke sound like a juvenile pillock. Theres nothing worse than a right boring stuff trying to be funny...in an unpleasant aggressive type way.

I just wish one of the perpetrators got a right beating so we can get back to playing the game. Bunch of pussies

Oh Carmine ... you really are a Wally.

Have you done any research?

--artwidbailey-20131125213659981550-620x

Did you know that Anderson started it by sledging the newbie Bailey.

... James Anderson of threatening to punch George Bailey in the face, and defended skipper Michael Clarke for stepping in to support the Test debutant. As the fallout continued after the dramatic and controversial finish to the first Test, it emerged on Monday that Anderson's treatment of Bailey sparked the fiery exchange between Clarke and the England pace spearhead.

Here

• Like 1

England coach Andy Flower says sledging rules may be needed in wake of Jonathan Trott exit

ENGLAND coach Andy Flower says he'll consider meeting with Australia counterpart Darren Lehmann in a bid to set some sledging ground rules ahead of the second Test in Adelaide.

Flower said the right balance needed to be found with on-field banter after details emerged of the vicious on-field exchange involving England's James Anderson and Australia's George Bailey and Michael Clarke.

It's been alleged No.11 batsman Anderson escalated that situation by threatening to punch Bailey in the face, prompting Clarke to respond with his, "get ready for a broken f***ing arm" comment which was picked up by a stump microphone and broadcast, ultimately costing the Australian skipper 20 per cent of his match fee.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/england-coach-andy-flower-says-sledging-rules-may-be-needed-in-wake-of-jonathan-trott-exit/story-fni2fnmo-1226768643545

Research for what purpose? I wasn't talking about who started it!! Honestly David!! facepalm.gif

Watching the "incredibly unfunny sledging" reminds me why so many find cricket a boring old mans game because this group of players are carrying on like a bunch of dimwitted old farts.

The aussie sledging for the vast majority is crude, unrefined, lacking in any real wit, and as for the english, perhaps if they buttoned it they might be able to play a half decent game of cricket as opposed to the pathetic display of the last test.

The funniest aspect of the 1st test by far is David warners new facial growth. Perhaps Clarke should make a captains decision and make him remove it?!

... James Anderson of threatening to punch George Bailey in the face, and defended skipper Michael Clarke for stepping in to support the Test debutant. As the fallout continued after the dramatic and controversial finish to the first Test, it emerged on Monday that Anderson's treatment of Bailey sparked the fiery exchange between Clarke and the England pace spearhead.

Here

So you're accusing Sky of deliberately withholding audio that would to an extent exonerate Clarke?

Because that's the only way Warne would have heard it.

The funniest aspect of the 1st test by far is David warners new facial growth. Perhaps Clarke should make a captains decision and make him remove it?!

Hey Carms ... do you live under a rock or something?

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of millions of moustaches around the world. With their “Mo’s” men raise vital funds and awareness for prostate and testicular cancer and mental health. As an independent global charity, Movember’s vision is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health.

Here

• Like 2

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of millions of moustaches around the world. With their “Mo’s” men raise vital funds and awareness for prostate and testicular cancer and mental health. As an independent global charity, Movember’s vision is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health.

Here

Well written David

Here

So you're accusing Sky of deliberately withholding audio that would to an extent exonerate Clarke?

Because that's the only way Warne would have heard it.

Do you think that Sky is the only broadcaster?

Here is one article from your local newspaper.

James Anderson: I can't help sledging the Aussies

pg-64-anderson-slazenger.jpg

"I can't help it," says Anderson. We are talking verbal scraps, part of the tapestry of the Ashes from Bradman and Jardine to Glenn McGrath's tiresome pre-series whitewash predictions.

"If you're trying to challenge people verbally it kind of just happens. It's not really a pre-planned thing – most of the time," he says. "I imagine there will be some passages of play that might involve verbals."

james-anderson-i-cant-help-sledging-the-aussies

Here

He doesn't live down under anything....unlike you cocky little convicts.

I predict England will thrash you in the next test David....justa shame I won't get to see the expression on your face when it all goes "down under".....rolleyes.gif

Or was that all over.....jeez I don't know my full toss from a bouncer......ahh that's what we need.....bouncers instead of umpires. biggrin.png

Darren Lehmann rejects Andy Flower's offer of Ashes peace talks

Australian coach Darren Lehmann has rejected an overture from England counterpart Andy Flower to discuss the teams' behaviour as International Cricket Council match referee Jeff Crowe prepared to remind both sides of their responsibilities before the Adelaide Test.

It has also emerged that David Warner was counselled by team management about his criticism of England batsman Jonathan Trott. Neither Cricket Australia nor the ICC will take action against Warner but Fairfax Media has learnt that Crowe will address both teams about their behaviour following the explosive finish to the Gabba Test.

Read Full Article Here

• Like 1