Over 90,000 killed in Syrian crisis - UN

News_Editor

the reality is that just as many Syrians support his regime as oppose it.

And where did you unearth that gem?

whistling.gif

Here is one source that supports the claim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds
Special to WorldTribune.com
LONDON — After two years of civil war, support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad was said to have sharply increased.
...from the article...
The data, relayed to NATO over the last month, asserted that 70 percent of Syrians support the Assad regime. Another 20 percent were deemed neutral and the remaining 10 percent expressed support for the rebels.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whistling.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON — After two years of civil war, support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad was said to have sharply increased.
...from the article...
The data, relayed to NATO over the last month, asserted that 70 percent of Syrians support the Assad regime. Another 20 percent were deemed neutral and the remaining 10 percent expressed support for the rebels.

QUOTE --

The data, compiled by Western-sponsored activists and organizations

UNQUOTE

Not even close to unbiased ;)

whistling.gif

...from the article...

Makes sense, same happened in Iraq when the Sunni tribal leaders got sick of the killings by Al Qaeda aligned fighters, pivoted and started to kill Al Qaeda operatives and collaborated with coalition forces

I bet that was a fun survey to do.

They didn't -- read the article - it actually says that no polling was done.

We could have come up with an equally credible set of data here in TV smile.png

Edited by jpinx

whistling.gif

...from the article...

I'd be reluctant to trust a Right Wing source that counts Drudgereport.com amongst its "friends" anyway, but when there is absolutely no byline on a supposed "news" article, the red flag goes up.

Alex Jones has been spouting on about the US government (i.e. Obama) paying Al Qaeda for a long time now - are we supposed to believe it?

I bet that was a fun survey to do.

They didn't -- read the article - it actually says that no polling was done.

We could have come up with an equally credible set of data here in TV smile.png

I know. I was being facetious. I just had visions of someone walking around knocking on doors as missiles are flying by....or in the Army barracks asking soldiers....or in the rebel stronghold....etc..

I think it's a little difficult to get an idea of support with such chaos and Syrians in numerous neighboring countries.

• Like 2

400 tons of arms/weapons trucked over from Turkey. Man, talk about an escalation.

Now Iran and Russia will be even more compelled to up the ante.

I see it as a lose lose scenario. If buttplug Assad successfully squashes the rebels, he stays in power and the rebels fester. If the rebels win, the most extreme Muslim faction(s) will commandeer the power chairs.

damned if you do, damned if you don't....

A very interesting interview on Al Jazeera, late last night. They were speaking with Syrian analyst from UK.(sorry do not recall the name, but fluent English, not even an accent)

Anyhow, he appeared to be very pro government and made some rather interesting points

1. If it was Assad regime, they would have used Scud missiles, not something small which so happens to be in the hands of rebels

2. If it was Assad regime, why would they bomb only certain area's not wider areas

3. If it was Assad regime, why would he kill his own soldiers

Another interesting point he made, is that The West has long decided to go into Syria to remove any and all chemical and other weapons in fear that it could fall into the wrong hands. So according to him, it is not really relevant who used it, the Western powers will go in either way.

Personally, i do not know who used it as both sides have enough evidence to point at each other, however the grave danger i see is, if West does go in to support the rebels, they would be giving hand to Al Quada and other jihadist groups and who is to say, once Assad is out, the new power struggle will not break out between the said groups

IF West does not go in, the murder continues, so there is no win win situation and no light at the end of the tunnel

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Good news....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23833912#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Now let's hope the rebels promise safe conduct as well and we get a chance for the UN to show some leadership.

<deleted> ? blink.png

Richard Engel @RichardEngel

Sr US official: At this juncture, any belated decision by the regime to grant access to UN team would be too late to be credible. #syria

8:23 PM - 25 Aug 2013

• Like 1

Good news....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23833912#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Now let's hope the rebels promise safe conduct as well and we get a chance for the UN to show some leadership.

<deleted> ? blink.png

Sr US official: At this juncture, any belated decision by the regime to grant access to UN team would be too late to be credible. #syria

They have to take a position early in case they need to claim the findings are meaningless later so that they can justify whatever they want to do next.....

it's called politics ;)

Good news....

<deleted> ? blink.png

They have to take a position early in case they need to claim the findings are meaningless later so that they can justify whatever they want to do next.....

it's called politics wink.png

OR

Gas takes 30 mins to evaporate and inspections week later will not produce any results, perhaps the reason for delaying the decision to allow UN inspectors

• Like 1

They'll be searching for fragments of the canisters and similar evidence, but most likely whoever did it will have cleared up by now. It'll take NCIS to do the forensics on this one..... whistling.gif

Edited by jpinx

They'll be searching for fragments of the canisters and similar evidence, but most likely whoever did it will have cleared up by now. It'll take NCIS to do the forensics on this one..... whistling.gif

In theory doable, but in current reality of war zone, most definitely not safe to be crawling around.

Funny enough, both sides the rebels and Assad accused each other, but also both did most possible to delay the inspectors one way or another.

3,000 people were hospitalized with "neuro-toxic" symptoms and more than 300 of them died.

CBS/AP/ August 24, 2013, 11:19 PM LINK

"Syria options weighed as U.S. forces move closer"

Dang, I wish the US would stay out of this. There's no end game - no good and final outcome.

Totally agree with you. US will be blamed no matter what.

French stated they were ready to use Force, so let them, Let Europe handle this crisis.

• Like 2

3,000 people were hospitalized with "neuro-toxic" symptoms and more than 300 of them died.

Dang, I wish the US would stay out of this. There's no end game - no good and final outcome.

Last night on CBS Nightly News the story was about the FACT that the chemicals were NOT weapons grade and they showed a stash of chemicals in a rebel stronghold that were used to make the deadly gas. Their source said the rebels had turned the gas on the civilians hoping to set the blame on Assad.

No mention of that story on any network since.............ph34r.png

On January 29, 2013, Britain’s most popular Daily Newspaper, in its online version Dailymail.co.uk published an article titled:

U.S. ‘backed plan to launch chemical weapon attack on Syria and blame it on Assad’s regime’

A few days later they pulled the articlehuh.png .

What the reason was for the deletion remains unclear. The article was published at this URL:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/deleted-daily-mail-online-article-us-backed-plan-for-chemical-weapon-attack-in-syria-to-be-blamed-on-assad/5339178

Edited by midas

Last night on CBS Nightly News the story was about the FACT that the chemicals were NOT weapons grade and they showed a stash of chemicals in a rebel stronghold that were used to make the deadly gas. Their source said the rebels had turned the gas on the civilians hoping to set the blame on Assad.

claim, counter-claim, obfuscation...... like I said -- It' going to take sherlock holmes to find anything close to the truth.

In this situation it's perfectly possible that either side will have gassed their own people.....

Not weapons grade. Just hospitalized 3,000 and killed more than 300.

You can bet that NATO has forces on the ground there and they'll figure it out.

CBS has an agenda and has for as long as I can remember. I don't trust anything they say. They'll pick and choose their sources until they get the story they want.

claim, counter-claim, obfuscation...... like I said -- It' going to take sherlock holmes to find anything close to the truth.

In this situation it's perfectly possible that either side will have gassed their own people.....

Spot on,

Lets blow away some smoke and look at the players.

On one side you have Al Queda and other terror groups and on the other side you have Assad, with backing from Iran and Hezbollah.

Not exactly the most trustworthy bunch all of them.

One side wants The world to help only to gain control and other side has itchy fingers(Iran)

The true rebels are long gone in my opinion and even if they still there, they are no longer pulling the strings.

Little off topic, but all the jail breaks of Al Queada, i am sure was not an accident, most likely all 2 thousand of them if not more were released under condition of going to Syria

Spot on,

Lets blow away some smoke and look at the players.

On one side you have Al Queda and other terror groups and on the other side you have Assad, with backing from Iran and Hezbollah.

Not exactly the most trustworthy bunch all of them.

One side wants The world to help only to gain control and other side has itchy fingers(Iran)

The true rebels are long gone in my opinion and even if they still there, they are no longer pulling the strings.

Little off topic, but all the jail breaks of Al Queada, i am sure was not an accident, most likely all 2 thousand of them if not more were released under condition of going to Syria

Not off topic at all I suggest ;) Wasn't it those jail breaks that inspired the recent closedown of embassies around the time of Ramadan ? There were some seriously pissed off guys amongst the escapees and they'll be looking for any way to "strike back" at their perceived foe. Syria is a perfect opportunity to lure the lion into a trap..........

This is always going to end badly........

French stated they were ready to use Force, so let them, Let Europe handle this crisis.

The issue here is that if it's Europe alone, Russia might get involved. If the US brings in stealth fighters, high flying stealth bombers and stealth drones that can fly higher than missiles can reach while carrying super accurate missiles, a couple of nuclear subs, and the destroyers that are reportedly in position, Russia will stand back.

Russia has spent very little money on its military for a long time.

Not off topic at all I suggest wink.png Wasn't it those jail breaks that inspired the recent closedown of embassies around the time of Ramadan ? There were some seriously pissed off guys amongst the escapees and they'll be looking for any way to "strike back" at their perceived foe. Syria is a perfect opportunity to lure the lion into a trap..........

In regards to bad ending, in a way it may actually help. they can kill each other, so less for the rest of the world to worry about.

By that i mean AlQuada, Hezbollah and all other terror groups.

Let them use up all their arsenal and money on each other.

Naturally the sad part of all of it is the innocent civilian victims.

One real party to blame in all of these in my opinion is Iran. Iran is one of the same who has been sponsoring Hezbollah who now is fighting against the very same people Iran also sponsors.

Iran is the one giving support to both and is the one backing it all. May be because, in the end they want to control the region and may well end up doing it IF they have enough brain to play both sides

The issue here is that if it's Europe alone, Russia might get involved. If the US brings in stealth fighters, high flying stealth bombers and stealth drones that can fly higher than missiles can reach while carrying super accurate missiles, a couple of nuclear subs, and the destroyers that are reportedly in position, Russia will stand back.

Russia has spent very little money on its military for a long time.

Yes and No, in my view.

Russia in reality has no interest at all to support or intervene. They talk, but i seriously doubt would actually use force or do anything else but talk.

In a way, Russia would be happy if Europe does go in, because it means they can sell more weapons.

You will also find Russia usually opposes anything USA supports, Russia hardly ever speaks up when it comes to EU actions.

Not off topic at all I suggest wink.png Wasn't it those jail breaks that inspired the recent closedown of embassies around the time of Ramadan ? There were some seriously pissed off guys amongst the escapees and they'll be looking for any way to "strike back" at their perceived foe. Syria is a perfect opportunity to lure the lion into a trap..........

In regards to bad ending, in a way it may actually help. they can kill each other, so less for the rest of the world to worry about.

By that i mean AlQuada, Hezbollah and all other terror groups.

Let them use up all their arsenal and money on each other.

Naturally the sad part of all of it is the innocent civilian victims.

One real party to blame in all of these in my opinion is Iran. Iran is one of the same who has been sponsoring Hezbollah who now is fighting against the very same people Iran also sponsors.

Iran is the one giving support to both and is the one backing it all. May be because, in the end they want to control the region and may well end up doing it IF they have enough brain to play both sides

I would not entirely disagree with your sentiment, but the reality of the outcome you envisage would be a lot more messy than can be predicted. Almost without exception these revolutionaries are tribal and/or religious groups and can not be eliminated entirely, so they are not going to vanish after being beaten. The real difficulty is identifying their "needs" and accommodating them as much as is reasonable. But you don't have to go far to find groups of rebel mercenaries with only a vague notion of what they want -- this being one of the major problems in the south of Thailand.

Look at Afghanistan over the years while UK; Pakistan, Russia, USA have almost all been supporting - sometimes unwittingly - both sides of what was actually a tribal warlord feud. These guys need to be ringfenced and left to their devices -- they'll come out soon enough when they've run out of guns, ammo, food, etc and then they have to bargain for support.

Where the UN has singularly failed is in Arms sales controls. In my personal opinion no arms should every be exported to anywhere, but policing that just ain't going to happen because there is SOOOOO much money in it and almost all these places have huge natural resources and can afford to pay in kind for just about anything.

As I said -- there really is no upside to trying to resolve religious tribal warfare :(

• Like 1