Thai rebels say peace could be years away

webfact

Thai rebels say peace could be years away

by Julia Zappei

KUALA LUMPUR, June 15, 2013 (AFP) - Rebels from Thailand's restive south Friday said securing lasting peace could take years, acknowledging some insurgents were trying to undermine ongoing talks through continued violence.

More than 5,500 people have died in the near decade-long insurgency in the Muslim-majority region bordering Malaysia.

Talks between the Thai government and representatives of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) began on March 28 but have so far failed to halt near-daily violence.

A second rebel group, the Patani United Liberation Organisation (PULO), joined negotiations from the second round.

Talks could last "two or three years" or even longer, said BRN representative Hassan Taib.

"There is no indication how long it will take... We hope that all sides will be patient and see these talks through," he said in rare comments to foreign media.

"These talks are our best shot. War does not solve anything. This issue can only be solved through negotiations; that is the only way even if it takes a long time," he added.

Thailand and the rebels agreed late Thursday to scale back violence in the country's south during the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, which is expected to last from July 9 to August 7.

Thailand earlier Thursday, before the day-long talks, had expressed impatience at the continuing insurgent violence.

Thai National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut, Bangkok's lead negotiator, told reporters in Thailand Friday that it would be a "test for them (the BRN) during Ramadan whether they can control the violence".

He said Thailand would reduce seal-off and search operations of houses, except to protect "soft targets" such as teachers, scores of whom have been executed for their perceived collaboration with the Thai state.

Hassan said BRN would provide Thailand with "conditions" within 10 days for a reduction in violence, but he did not elaborate.

Five Thai security personnel were killed in a fresh spate of gun and bomb attacks two weeks ago, which the government blamed on insurgents seeking to disrupt the fragile peace process.

Despite two rounds of peace talks since March, the bloodshed has raised questions over how much control rebel leaders have over radical militants.

Hassan acknowledged that there were divisions with some trying to undermine the negotiations, but said these were "mainly individuals with their own interests" and he hoped those who wanted a resolution would join the talks.

"We are only just beginning these negotiations. We intend to include all parties so it goes well," he said.

Amid a series of five demands made in April, BRN has called for "liberation" from the Thai kingdom.

Thai negotiators have raised the idea of creating some form of locally-elected administration in the region, but full autonomy for the south remains taboo as the constitution insists the Buddhist-majority kingdom must not be divided.

Hassan said Friday that they wanted Bangkok to "acknowledge the rights of the people of Patani on their own land", saying autonomy was not an issue currently on the table.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-15

Thai National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut, Bangkok's lead negotiator, told reporters in Thailand Friday that it would be a "test for them (the BRN) during Ramadan whether they can control the violence".

The BRN has no control of the violence. The violence is controlled by s,all cells operating independently. Each cell has a leader, but the member of the cell do not know who the leader reports to. This is the tactic used by all insurgent groups, including the Taliban.

• Like 2

As I said in previous posts on this issue...

Do not go to talks unless they beg for it - in other words put yourself in the position of strength first.

Translated into plain language - 5 for one! And deportation of affiliates. Very soon the neighbors and family members will turn against the terrorists.

They should know, they are the one's that are setting the agenda, one positive out come, Thailand now knows what they are up against and it ain't prettybah.gif

and they won't worry too much about time just as long as they get a ceasefire over their religious month and will claim any breaches were not their fault.

• Like 1

Do not go to talks unless they beg for it - in other words put yourself in the position of strength first.

Translated into plain language - 5 for one! And deportation of affiliates. Very soon the neighbors and family members will turn against the terrorists.

To be clear, what you proposed as a solution was indescriminate retribution killing of five Thai Muslim civilians for one murdered Thai.

• Like 1

I repeat myself on what I have often said on other threads.

Yingluck could be the key. Have her spend more time in the south. Have her work towards improving the living conditions of the honest law abiding hard working citizen. Show them that She really cares about them.

Behind the scenes she can put a stop to military abuse towards the people. On the surface refer to the Military as only there to protect every one from Terrorists and not dwell on it. Spend her time on improving their living conditions. Show them that it is them she really cares for. With consistency this would eventually turn the people against the terrorists to a point they would cease to protect them and turn them in. Also when captured the Terrorists must be treated in a humane way thus further allaying the fear of turning them in.

I maintain my way would work and just talking never will. You do not talk an extremist religious fanatic out of his beliefs especially when he has a book that tells him to kill the infidels.

As for the use of Terrorism for drug dealing I think that is just a way to support their terrorism. End the Terrorists and you will still have the drug problem just different faces the line up to take over is a long one it includes politicians and military figures.

5 for 1? Are you suggesting that the Thai army murders 5 people for every ----actually who do you mean by the 1? 1 soldier? 1 Buddhist? 1 Muslim civilian? These terrorist scum are killing all of these. However, back to my original question, are you seriously saying for everyone murdered by these scum the army in turn kills five people? Where do they find these 5? From prisoners? Suspected terrorists? Or just any passing Muslim? How will that help? It will only inspire more hate and escalate this ugly conflict further. As for deportations, how can you deport someone from their own country? I don't like PT or these terrorist scum, but talks are the only way to stop this conflict. Edited by Bluespunk

To be clear, what you proposed as a solution was indescriminate retribution killing of five Thai Muslim civilians for one murdered Thai.

Please, do not put your words in my mouth. Where do you see 'Muslims' in my post? Where do you see 'killing' in my post? Where do you see 'civilians' in my post?

On the other hand you will find in my post that 'Terrorists are not Muslims'. Are you trying something sinister here? I think I warned you that I am not that simple...

5 for 1? Are you suggesting that the Thai army murders 5 people for every ----actually who do you mean by the 1? 1 soldier? 1 Buddhist? 1 Muslim civilian? These terrorist scum are killing all of these. However, back to my original question, are you seriously saying for everyone murdered by these scum the army in turn kills five people? Where do they find these 5? From prisoners? Suspected terrorists? Or just any passing Muslim? How will that help? It will only inspire more hate and escalate this ugly conflict further. As for deportations, how can you deport someone from their own country? I don't like PT or these terrorist scum, but talks are the only way to stop this conflict.

Bluespunk, - Yes 5; Yes for 1 soldier; Yes for 1 Buddhist; Yes for 1 Muslim civilian; Yes seriously 5. Correction: they are not people. They forfeited all rights and privileges.

I can understand your indignation. But this is the only way. You will be talking to these animals until you are dead, physically dead.

All your other questions are misdirected. But the answers could be found. Sorry, but we disagree on this: no talks will ever stop this conflict. And Yes, history knows effective mass deportations...

BTW, why every second poster here tries to 'hang on me' the accusation of hating Muslims? Absolute fallacy. No Terrorism (wherever) has been about Religion.

Edited by ABCer

Bluespunk, - Yes 5; Yes for 1 soldier; Yes for 1 Buddhist; Yes for 1 Muslim civilian; Yes seriously 5. Correction: they are not people. They forfeited all rights and privileges.

I can understand your indignation. But this is the only way. You will be talking to these animals until you are dead, physically dead.

All your other questions are misdirected. But the answers could be found. Sorry, but we disagree on this: no talks will ever stop this conflict. And Yes, history knows effective mass deportations...

BTW, why every second poster here tries to 'hang on me' the accusation of hating Muslims? Absolute fallacy. No Terrorism (wherever) has been about Religion.

I hate to tell you this, but the tactics for the handling of insurgencies has evolved a bit since the SS and WWII. The Nuremburg War Trials, where officers giving such orders were hanged, had a lot to do with it, as did the higher education levels of recruits. Conscripts might not be, but regular NCOs are well aware that carrying out illegal orders has severe repercussions.

The current theory is 'hearts and minds' which is not always successful, but will be viewed as much better by historians.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1