Chiang Mai Redshirts Clash With 'Guy Fawkes' Crowd

webfact

Well, at least they were  not shot at as the Reds were in Bangkok.Posted Image

That's maybe because the "white masks "were having a meeting over dinner rather than paralyzing the capital business area for months and refusing to leave :)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the red shirts the same as the Nazi brown shirts? ph34r.png

No!!!! The red shirts wear red shirts and the brown shirts wear brown shirts just as Oswald Mosley's blackshirt movement wore black shirts!!

You should be seeing a pattern appearing now.

I believe his question was referring to their politics and mindset, not fashion related.

I live in Chiang Mai when in Thailand and I have noticed a lot of the Thai people there are not fans of the redshirts but are not ready to oppose them either, would rather sit on the fence.

I wonder how long it will take before the general population of Issan and the moron redshirts themselves wake up to the fact that they have been used and duped ?

The only good thing I have found about the supporters of the PTP, Thaksin and his red thugs for hire is that it makes it easy to spot the braindead rednecks.

Really!!! I'm glad you put me right on that as I was beginning to think he was colour blind!!

If I were the suspicious type, I might suspect the "yelllows in disguise" wanted to draw attention to their cause. And what better way then to go into red territory and make a few provocations. whistling.gif

Well, at least they were not shot at as the Reds were in Bangkok.coffee1.gif

<deleted> - 20 people gathering at a restaurant comparable with a violent armed siege in Bangkok? Have you really lost the plot, or is this some inane attempt at satire?

• Like 1

Just cause democracy here works in a different way than it does for some of us at home... Doesn't make it 'not democracy'. If u come from a half decent European country and you look at the USA, u could easily ask yourself the same question.

I'm not saying everything goes great in Thailand, but it just always amazes me how quickly people judge, how nobody but a few understand that democracy needs time to grow, and that there are many different forms and it can work in many different ways... THAT IS DEMOCRACY.

Saying democracy in Thailand is not democratic, is like saying Catholicism is the only correct form of Christianity.

Try researching the word democracy and the fundamentals that need to be in place in order for a democracy to exist. If after doing that, you still believe there is democracy in Thailand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, please do let us know with supporting reasons.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Just cause democracy here works in a different way than it does for some of us at home... Doesn't make it 'not democracy'. If u come from a half decent European country and you look at the USA, u could easily ask yourself the same question.

I'm not saying everything goes great in Thailand, but it just always amazes me how quickly people judge, how nobody but a few understand that democracy needs time to grow, and that there are many different forms and it can work in many different ways... THAT IS DEMOCRACY.

Saying democracy in Thailand is not democratic, is like saying Catholicism is the only correct form of Christianity.

Try researching the word democracy and the fundamentals that need to be in place in order for a democracy to exist. If after doing that, you still believe there is democracy in Thailand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, please do let us know with supporting reasons.

I wouldn't confuse him with big words such as fundamentals if I was you!!

"democracy" doesn't need time to grow!! it is either there or it isn't. In any case, it can't be termed Democracy when nobody is allowed to criticise, disagree, protest against you or complain about the way things are being done!!

This is more akin to dictatorship voted in by the unintelligent.

I would imagine that if martijn 12345 had to give supporting reasons then he might struggle as he clearly doesn't understand what the word means let alone in attempting to argue his case.

"Really!!! I'm glad you put me right on that as I was beginning to think he was colour blind!!"......If he was colour blind how the hell would he know if they were wearing different coloured shirts ??? whistling.gif

"Really!!! I'm glad you put me right on that as I was beginning to think he was colour blind!!"......If he was colour blind how the hell would he know if they were wearing different coloured shirts ??? whistling.gif

He couldn't tell the diffrerence, that is why he was asking!!!

@ Winstonc

Oh thanks for that crazy.gif

'Actually' I did read his post and we could generalise all day but like I said first in my post, 'Know what you are saying' this would be agreeing with him don't you think?

Regardless of what you say, it still isn't connected the 'southern problems'. Maybe you should understand all of what is said.

If I were the suspicious type, I might suspect the "yelllows in disguise" wanted to draw attention to their cause. And what better way then to go into red territory and make a few provocations. whistling.gif

So your 'suspicions' are that all anti-Thaksin groups are yellow shirts. They're not.

The group were in a restaurant and were targeted by the red thugs. I suppose all the similar intimidation of Democrat party meetings around Isan are 'provocations'.

What you're saying is that certain areas are off-limits to all but red-shirts. Red-shirt villages?

Sad.

So your 'suspicions' are that all anti-Thaksin groups are yellow shirts. They're not.

The group were in a restaurant and were targeted by the red thugs. I suppose all the similar intimidation of Democrat party meetings around Isan are 'provocations'.

What you're saying is that certain areas are off-limits to all but red-shirts. Red-shirt villages?

Sad.

I would sum it up as follows:

Anti-Thaksin groups (of whatever colour of the spectrum) know what is going on and are sensible in their thinking whereas Thaksin supporters are simply thick and ignorant of the facts (through choice or otherwise) blinded by their mistaken beliefs.

• Like 1

Sad.

Your fanatical conjecture hints at a serious emotional problem.

Read my preface again. It's ok to move your lips. tongue.png

Sad.

I would sum it up as follows:

Anti-Thaksin groups (of whatever colour of the spectrum) know what is going on and are sensible in their thinking whereas Thaksin supporters are simply thick and ignorant of the facts (through choice or otherwise) blinded by their mistaken beliefs.

Wow! I see said the blind man. crazy.gif

Edited by rijb

Sad.

I see. You make fanatical conjectures based on 'suspicion' and accuse me of fanatical conjecture. What hypocrisy.

You 'suggested' that any anti-Thaksin group actually going into 'red territory' is a provocation. It is a basic freedom of movement and deliberate intimidation (very much a part of the red-shirt armoury) is ok because they were provoked?.

You made your rather wacky comments - attacking me personally is no defence.

• Like 1

You might want to check your facts the United States do not practice Democracy. I believe all there states do but not them. If they did the year 2,000 election would not have been decided by the supreme Court Al Gore would have been the winner he had the most votes. I believe Harry s Truman was another president who did not get the majority of votes.

Sad.

I see. You make fanatical conjectures based on 'suspicion' and accuse me of fanatical conjecture. What hypocrisy.

You 'suggested' that any anti-Thaksin group actually going into 'red territory' is a provocation. It is a basic freedom of movement and deliberate intimidation (very much a part of the red-shirt armoury) is ok because they were provoked?.

How do you move your lips when reading? Just curious!!!

Sad.

I meant no offense about your reading and emotional problems. It just sounds a little suspicious when a mask-wearing, anti-government group member tries to take pictures of those 'nasty' red shirts. What's another word for a shameless publicity stunt? Sad? Hypocrisy?

Sad.

what he did was write an escape clause before he made his ridicules statement. He started off with.

If I was

the wonderful game of if allows all kinds of stupidity.

I meant no offense about your reading and emotional problems. It just sounds a little suspicious when a mask-wearing, anti-government group member tries to take pictures of those 'nasty' red shirts. What's another word for a shameless publicity stunt? Sad? Hypocrisy?

OK. When a peaceful group are minding their own business and a much larger group starts targeting them, taking a photo is none of the things you suggest. It is simply providing evidence of being intimidated. Do you still deny them freedom to meet in a 'red-shirt' territory without being intimidated? That's the sad part.

• Like 1

Of course they are the yellow shirts and just like little children they change their appearance every time when they see something on TV. Today a mask, tomorrow they call themselves Thai spring and say that Thailand is in a matter of fact the same as North korea because there are a lot of portraits of the big leader. But than did they look who is on the portraits or are they having eye trouble from wearing masks?

Does it matter whether they were yellow shirts or not? Does that make it OK for them to get beaten up?

• Like 1

This is a protest against corruption , the only problem is that the people are ignorant or totally blind to the fact that it is endemic at all levels.

The People who are demonstrating against this may be just totally pissed off with the fact that they are poor and cullpable of wrong doings in the eyes of the law, whilst the rich are above the law because they can pay to be above the law .

There seems to be a mood of great discomfort within Thailand at the moment, as it moves towards ASEAN membership, and maybe the many are begiinning to feel threaten that their livelihoods are at risk and that their education system as been badly letting them down for many years, and is without signs of improvement, and that corruption is badly letting the country down in the eyes of the world.

I see so many Facebook posts from my Thai students denouncing all that is wrong in Thailand at the moment, and most are from Issan ( red shirt country ), and yet today I was in Rayong ( Yellow Shirt Country ) where I also saw a masked demonstration against corruption , denouncing the Shinawatra clan.

But these were not rich wealthy Thais ( or typical wealthy yellow shirts) , but young every day people who may ride a Yamaha Fino or Honda Wave, rather than a Ferrarri or Merc. ( see pics ) .

So ask yourselves , before you go down the usual TV Forum responsive route of slagging off all Thais Yellow, or in particular red from what i see often here ,

Could this not be a similar response happening here, which is similar to what has been happening all over the world recently, where the masses are beginning to revolt against the elite rich and controlling, media operating, imposing regimes, because Thai people have laptops, Global interconnectivity ( at the moment ) and are maybe comming to realise that they do not have to put up with is c**p anymore ?????

post-115850-0-08291100-1371315540_thumb.

post-115850-0-84784000-1371315562_thumb.

• Like 1

Well, at least they were not shot at as the Reds were in Bangkok.coffee1.gif

Bet this comment raised a few laughs !

I have noticed the redneck arguments are weaker and more pathetic every day. Luckily they are only an annoying minority group and will disappear as soon as the general population wake up to the fact that they been duped and the PTP are banished to Dubai with their grand poo-bah.

Sawasdee Khrup,

While the vividness of any given color of mask may wax or wane in terms of real power (political, economic, social), and nominal power, and the degree and intensity of mass-media publicity fluctuate like flags at demonstrations ...

Great structural imbalances ... the tectonic plates ... of social inequalities ... concentration of wealth ... barriers to upward economic mobility ... demographics and environmental degradation ... a flawed and corrupt educational system that is not preparing future generations to compete in the Asian economic sphere ...

Will move inexorably towards ... ?

And, as that great transformer of prophets into fools, butcherers into national heroes, and victims into martyrdom, history, reminds us, always lurking is the potential for what Dr. Nassim Taleb called a "Black Swan" event, a "perfect storm." About which, in regards to Thailand, it is very unwise to speculate.

imho, a key qualitative difference in today's Thailand ... Asia ... World ... is that virtually no one's life is not permeated by mass-media, and everyone's visual environment is filled with powerful images of "the good things of life," and the excesses, and luxuries, flaunted publicly by the rich, and communication is ever more decentralized, and instantaneous, via cell-phone, internet, etc.

Sinead O'Connor sang: "I do not want what I have not got." That could have been a "hymn" in many centuries of western culture, or a sign of virtue (metta) in Buddhism long ago: now it's an anthem that suggests individual social protest at the secularized consumer society ... powered by the kind of "dark energy" of which social revolutions are spawned ?

Mr. Natural said: "Twas' Ever Thus," and he did have the smile of a happy human being, but, he was living (in Crumb's mind) before the age of dataveillance, drones, Twitgrub, and FaceFood, when the number of people with college degrees in China is greater than the population of the United States.

But, come, dear friends, let us go back to living in the illusion of the genteel Lanna, recreated from old-cloth, and whole-cloth, in the 1960's, by a truly wonderful group of Chiang Mai intellectuals, musicians, ethnographers, architects ... and then made into a Disneyland by TAT ... no less "valid" than any other cultural revivification, and no less deeply drawing its sustenance and flow from authentic deep artesian wells of ancient customs, and ritual-cycles of weather, and agriculture, fed by the underground aquifer nourished by Shan, Tai Yai, Lao, Sipsongpannese, Akka, Mong Meow, Lahu, Lua, Lisu, Chinese Haw, Karen, Ngaio, Mon, Raman, Avan, among many, sources.

Let's get back to which buffet's better butter.

~o:37;

• Like 1

People being slaughtered anywhere, in any circumstance, is not funny at all. Fact is the whole rotten situation should not have happened, but it did happen because one man wanted to make a point.