Kitchen scale with 0.1g graduation or better?

roban

Seems to be impossible to find a kitchen scale with 0.1g graduation or better.

I found a few at Macro, Central, Verasu, etc.

But all of them only with 1g graduation.

Any ideas, where to get a 0.1g scale?

Why would anyone need a scale of 0.1 gram or better ? Are you cooking to an accuracy of +/- 1.5 grains of salt

where in my post, I was talking about salt?

Sad enough, answering such useless posts....

So...what's the difference between 1.0 and 1.99 gr. ...?

When the scale shows 1 g in both cases?

....?

Edited by roban

Why would anyone need a scale of 0.1 gram or better ? Are you cooking to an accuracy of +/- 1.5 grains of salt

where in my post, I was talking about salt?

Sad enough, answering such useless posts....

So...what's the difference between 1.0 and 1.99 gr. ...?

When the scale shows 1 g in both cases?

....?

A 1.5 grains of salt weighs about 0.1 gram . As such, your initial request was to have a scale of such accuracy or better, means you are doing some very very precise cooking.

Dunno, but if dont there there is a human who will have such a sensitive pallet who could detect you put 1 or 2 grains of salt more or less in the soup :)

Dunno, but if dont there there is a human who will have such a sensitive pallet who could detect you put 1 or 2 grains of salt more or less in the soup

OMG...facepalm.gif

Where did I mention, that I need a scale, to weigh salt?

I just asked a simple question about a simple gadget, which is available everywhere in the first world for few €.

Apart from this forum, it seems that many people find them useful rolleyes.gif

AMAZON.COM

I think he is in Bangkwang right now!

Where is "Bangkwang"?

//OT ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ask you local drug dealer.

Yep - that's about it

ohh, two comedians

saai.gif I hope, you two will never get such a, more than stupid answer, if you have a serious question.

Edited by roban

ohh, two comedians

Posted Image I hope, you two will never get such a, more than stupid answer, if you have a serious question.

If being a comedian means I still get it, then fine.

I am just imagining the "OCD Chefs Cook Book"

The OCD Omelet

1091 grains of sugar ( give or take 1 )

153 grains of salt

20,000 grains of flour

Add 12007 micro litres of water

And 34321 micro litres of egg yolk

I bought mine at Pantip. They're also available at Fortune Town, MBK and a lot of kiosks in Chinatown. I have never seen them in mainstream stores. In Pantip, try the row of kiosks directly behind the KFC, if I recall correctly.

Good down to .01 grams, but only up to 200g. They also have 1000g x 0.1g and several other variations.

I use mine to weigh fishing components like sinkers, wire, and lures, as I used to export fishing tackle as my "retirement plan".

I bought mine at Pantip. They're also available at Fortune Town, MBK and a lot of kiosks in Chinatown. I have never seen them in mainstream stores. In Pantip, try the row of kiosks directly behind the KFC, if I recall correctly.

Good down to .01 grams, but only up to 200g. They also have 1000g x 0.1g and several other variations.

I use mine to weigh fishing components like sinkers, wire, and lures, as I used to export fishing tackle as my "retirement plan".

Thank you very much!

Also useful to weigh Gold or Gunpowder....

I really wonder what kind of cooking the OP wants to do.

If you had read the last, 3-4 posts (especially from "butterisbetter"), you wouldn't have asked.

But I am wondering about the reactions, a simple question, like "where to buy a precise kitchen scale", generates.

Low season? Boredom?

If some people are clueless what to do with such a scale, doesn't necessarily mean, others are in the same boat. rolleyes.gif

But I didn't intend to start a thread about the usefulness (or not), but just a simple question, where to buy.

I give up...wai2.gif

Edited by roban

Once you have one, it's amazing how useful they are. I used mine to weigh out epoxy part A and part B after having a couple of glue jobs go bad, to weigh post office items to make sure I don't go 1/4 oz over a pound (and get dinged the 2 lb rate), etc.

Funny you should mention gunpowder. The first one I ever bought was in mid '90s for my job to locate porosity in some plastic molded pieces. At that time, about the only reasonable source for them was ammo reloading catalogs so that's where I bought mine. I paid $200 for it (boss chewed me out for that one), or I could have gone to a lab supply shop and paid 10x as much.

Now, they are so ubiquitous on EBay that you can pick them up for a few dollars.

Once you have one, it's amazing how useful they are. I used mine to weigh out epoxy part A and part B after having a couple of glue jobs go bad, to weigh post office items to make sure I don't go 1/4 oz over a pound (and get dinged the 2 lb rate), etc.

Funny you should mention gunpowder. The first one I ever bought was in mid '90s for my job to locate porosity in some plastic molded pieces. At that time, about the only reasonable source for them was ammo reloading catalogs so that's where I bought mine. I paid $200 for it (boss chewed me out for that one), or I could have gone to a lab supply shop and paid 10x as much.

Now, they are so ubiquitous on EBay that you can pick them up for a few dollars.

Err sure, gold, drugs, gun powder, roofies....... can see the need for better than 0.1 gram

But the title is

"Kitchen scale with 0.1g graduation or better?"

Err sure, gold, drugs, gun powder, roofies....... can see the need for better than 0.1 gram

But the title is

Yes, and If I wanted an insulated chest to store my soda pops, would it be really wrong of me to ask where I can buy a beer cooler? After all, I won't be using it to cool beer.

Would that subject me to the same kind of ridicule? Give us a break.

Edited by impulse

But the title is

Search for Kitchen scale with 0.1g on Amazon.

Must be all idiots who sell/buy these useless things

_Fortunately_ it is absolutely irrelevant in this thread, if you see the need for a precise scale or not.

But if you like to summarize purposes for a scale, you should be honest and post them all.

Especially this one:

A 1/10 gram scale can be very useful for weighing spices where a small amount goes a long way. Also for making small quantities of pink salt where you want to be very exact with the amount of sodium nitrite.

I think, it's all said.

I would have preferred a shop around Pattaya, but if Pantip is the place to go, acceptable.

wai2.gif

Did you try the kitchen supply place next to Foodland on Pattaya Klang, alternatively try the police station on Soi 9 tongue.png

Also try the search function.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564610-digital-scales/

They've got accurate scales at Central Department Store in the kitchen section. How accurate do you need? d = 0.1g or 0.01g?

I bought a very nice Tanita scale for the kitchen with 0.1g accuracy up to 300g and right up to 3kg at 0.5g accuracy. 1800 baht.

They also have a certified scale - legal for selling. Not sure the d value. Good scales are never cheap.

Edited by Spoonman

Did you try the kitchen supply place next to Foodland on Pattaya Klang,.........

Used this shop many times, but never looked for a kitchen scale.

But I will try my luck tomorrow.

Will check the Amorn shop (in the TukCom building) too.

Regarding Central (5th floor): yes I've looked already.

Found some heavily overpriced 1.0g scales, but no 0.1g ones.

Why would anyone need a scale of 0.1 gram or better ? Are you cooking to an accuracy of +/- 1.5 grains of salt ? Waow, that's super cooking

I have been looking around Pattaya for the last 5 days for a .1 gr division sale. I am still looking and will appreciate feedback.

To avoid uninformed comments I would like to offer some explenation to my requirement.

I develop spice blends and sauce products. Now, in 1Kg of BBQ spice the bulk of the product will be salt, corriander etc. But when it comes to other ingredients and Olioresins that gives colour and taste to the product you require a scale that can give a very accurate parts of a gram. In sauce products there are legal limits to certain additives and is also measured in accurate small quantities.

In cooking and baking where food colourants are used it is essential that an accurate small amount can be measured for the sake of concistancy.

If a recipe calls for .5gr of Safron you better weigh it accurately because it is the most expensive spice available. Good quality Saffron can be up to 30000 THB per Kg

Why would anyone need a scale of 0.1 gram or better ? Are you cooking to an accuracy of +/- 1.5 grains of salt ? Waow, that's super cooking

I have been looking around Pattaya for the last 5 days for a .1 gr division sale. I am still looking and will appreciate feedback.

To avoid uninformed comments I would like to offer some explenation to my requirement.

I develop spice blends and sauce products. Now, in 1Kg of BBQ spice the bulk of the product will be salt, corriander etc. But when it comes to other ingredients and Olioresins that gives colour and taste to the product you require a scale that can give a very accurate parts of a gram. In sauce products there are legal limits to certain additives and is also measured in accurate small quantities.

In cooking and baking where food colourants are used it is essential that an accurate small amount can be measured for the sake of concistancy.

If a recipe calls for .5gr of Safron you better weigh it accurately because it is the most expensive spice available. Good quality Saffron can be up to 30000 THB per Kg

ok....cool - thx. so there is super precise cooking, just never seen in in hells kitchen.

Mine just died and I bought a new one at a baking supply company called Yok in Chiang Mai. The brand was Tanita so it should be widely available. And it also came with what I bet is a really useful manual: useful if you can read Japanese. As it is, all I can get the thing to do is weight stuff. There is a button in it that changes the gradations from 1 gram to 1/10 of a gram. It cost 1190 baht. There were a couple of other brands available at the local scientific supply house. One cost 3,000 baht and the other 18,000 baht.

ok....cool - thx. so there is super precise cooking, just never seen in in hells kitchen.

Thanks for the reply

Mine just died and I bought a new one at a baking supply company called Yok in Chiang Mai. The brand was Tanita so it should be widely available. And it also came with what I bet is a really useful manual: useful if you can read Japanese. As it is, all I can get the thing to do is weight stuff. There is a button in it that changes the gradations from 1 gram to 1/10 of a gram. It cost 1190 baht. There were a couple of other brands available at the local scientific supply house. One cost 3,000 baht and the other 18,000 baht.

Thanks. I will follow this lead and hope to find what I am looking for.