Is the er6n an adventure bike?

RaysFan

Im sure this is kind of a stupid question... But I dont know much about bikes at all, and havent sat on any yet.... But Ive been doing a lot of internet research, and I found that I think an adventure bike would best suit my needs. I really want the V-Strom... but they seem to be hard to find in Thailand. For some reason, I just dont like the Versys... Maybe because most of my research has been V-Strom vs Versys... and the V-Strom seems to be the better bike of the 2. So then I discovered the cb500x... Seems like an amazing bike, I really like it... So here is my question...

Can the cb500x and the er6n be compared? Ive looked at pictures of them closely and they look a lot alike in terms of seating position and things. I know the cb500x is an adventure bike... Is the er6n also? Can it do everything the cb500x can do? What about in terms of maneuverability, city, highway, light trails, dirt roads, road trips, mountains (Chiang Mai to Mai Sai)...

Thanks

The CB500X is not an adventure bike and nor is the ER6N, so they both have that in common.

They will both go up hilly roads and around the city, but neither of them would be particularly happy on anything but a light trails that's pretty smooth.

Like the above poster said, they would do fine for light trails, I would clarify it more - they would do fine for back roads with no pavement, that's as much of adventure as I would take them for anything more serious you need to look for off road bikes. There's no bike that's perfect for every application.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ahhh ok.

So are these 2 bikes very identical in terms of riding style? What about agility? That is the main thing I hear about the cb500x is how agile it is... How easy it is to maneuver around corners, in and out of traffic, things like this...

Ridden both the VStrom and the Versys a lot over the years, and find the uglier Versys the better bike in many ways.

Any bike can be an adventure bike, since the beginning of June I'm seeing hordes of (lucky) fully dressed Harley's and GoldWing heading up the Alaska Highway, many planning on riding the unpaved Dempster or Dalton Hwy's. It also depends on the riding position you prefer and how tall you are; I haven't ridden the CB500x, but from sitting on one found it a nicer fit for my height than the nice ER6n.

Rent both for a day, than you'll know.

You could call a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 650 an Adventure bike, but the reality is that they both not really come near a real Adventure bike. Sure what the average bike owner wants from its motorcycle fits into the capability of a Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Versys 650.

I had the pleasure to ride the Honda CB500X and the Kawasaki Versys 650 on the same off-road conditions and my points go to the less powerful Honda CB500X as it has much more control on off-road conditions.... On pure road power the Kawasaki Versys 650 wins but it's at speeds you not want to ride anyway...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

You could call a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 650 an Adventure bike, but the reality is that they both not really come near a real Adventure bike.

An accurate statement, as a true adventure bike is one that the average owner has no hope in getting upright solo after a fall in offroad conditions. smile.png

I dont know much about bikes at all, and havent sat on any yet....

Rent both for a day, than you'll know.

OP, when you said you haven't sat in a bike yet, do you mean at all or you only mean those 2 you were researching? If the former, maybe start with renting an auto scooter, then manual scooter, then go to a small CC manual bike... By the time you're ready to ride a big bike, there maybe some new models. :ph34r:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645287-failed-test-ride-on-a-650-ninja/?view=getnewpost

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

-KennyN-

" I dont know much about bikes at all, and havent sat on any yet.... But Ive been doing a lot of internet research, and I found that I think an adventure bike would best suit my needs...."

Seems you are a "theorist" learn driving a Motorbike first before you specify so much and stay on paved roads or at least not to "bad" roads! wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Ah, sorry for the confusion, Ive ridden a few street bikes in the states... I know how to ride, I meant, Im not current on all of the latest bikes and models... I havent visited stores to check out any or ride any.

Im actually moving to Chiang Mai from the states on Friday. Im 27 years old, my primary means of transport will be a bike... I was researching scooters only... Then I started looking at motorcycles, and its hard to go back to looking at scooters again lol.

Ive been reading a lot of reviews, and it seems like the 4 bikes that are always mentioned are the... Versys, V-Strom, cb500x (which are all called 'adventure bikes') and the er6n which is just a street bike...

I mainly just want to know if you guys would put the cb500x and the er6n in the same category?

I mainly just want to know if you guys would put the cb500x and the er6n in the same category?

Similar enough in my opinion.

I have just this week bought the Honda CB500F. Might see you about the streets of Chiang Mai soon enough. Ride safely.

The Honda 500 and Kawasaki 650 are roughly in the same ball park. Main differences being that the Honda is cheaper, lighter, slightly less powerful. Wait until you get here and hire each of them for a few days trial. No need to jump in with urgency.

Also, you won't really want to ride either of these around town - they are no good for daily transportation. You need a little scooter for the tight parking, at times congested roads and ultra slow traffic of towns & cities in Thailand.

• Like 1

the ER6N is a ROAD BIKE - it has road tyres / suspension - its not suitable for off roading. you would be bonkers to take it off road.

The CB500X is an ADVENTURE BIKE, albeit junior league - it has combined road/off road tyres and suspension suitable for both on and off road....so is suitable for both road and off road use.

i would say that for the price, the CB500X is probably now the best all round bike for Thailand.

^^ Nonsense. The CB500 F & X are great bikes for getting around town (unless your a 5' weakling), but a Wave might be better if you have some shopping with you. They're light, manoeuvrable, comfortable and have a nice gear change. The wide has a Wave and I have a CB500F so talk from experience.

Edited by Wong!
  • Like 1

You could call a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 650 an Adventure bike, but the reality is that they both not really come near a real Adventure bike. Sure what the average bike owner wants from its motorcycle fits into the capability of a Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Versys 650.

I had the pleasure to ride the Honda CB500X and the Kawasaki Versys 650 on the same off-road conditions and my points go to the less powerful Honda CB500X as it has much more control on off-road conditions.... On pure road power the Kawasaki Versys 650 wins but it's at speeds you not want to ride anyway...

a lo

a lot of truth there, Richard.

I have tried cb500x (honda actually markets this as an adventure bike) I liked it a lot. I like the riding height and sitting position more comfortable for a long ride than my cbr500. I love the way er6n looks that naked look, however I did not like the sitting position on it.

Anyway take a look on thai forums to see what you can find on your budget new or second hand. Get something you will like.

I daily drive a 650 Ninja and have no trouble with it in CM. I drive my Dream less and less and can't wait to get rid of it.

as for "slightly less powerful" I wouldn't consider ~20hp/20tq "slightly".

There's about 30bhp between my 2 bikes and the only difference power-wise in real use is that the more powerful bike will pull a bit harder over 100kph. The top speed is almost identical (both naked bikes) and the 500 is so much nicer to ride.

Of course the ER6N is also a modern bike and I'm sure it is lovely to ride as well, but I would guess that 2 similarly competent riders on each machine would be pretty close in a canyon race.

I daily drive a 650 Ninja and have no trouble with it in CM. I drive my Dream less and less and can't wait to get rid of it.

Not that i'm one to bash other people's bikes

But i've ridden both and the extra money is well spent if you ask me.

The CBR500 (or CBR471) is a 'nice bike' at a great price but after riding both, the Ninja650 (which isn't anything special) seems a more planted on the road and a dam sight quicker, if that matters....

My 2012 650 will be used as a down payment on something more drool worthy at the end of next year.

Not that i'm one to bash other people's bikes

But i've ridden both and the extra money is well spent if you ask me.

The CBR500 (or CBR471) is a 'nice bike' at a great price but after riding both, the Ninja650 (which isn't anything special) seems a more planted on the road and a dam sight quicker, if that matters....

My 2012 650 will be used as a down payment on something more drool worthy at the end of next year.

well i too have driven the ER6n, 650 Ninja, CB500F and CB500X and in my opinion the Honda's over all are better......

Wong!: Know what? Good point. The extra power let's me pull away faster, and that second disc brake helps slow me back down. But all is for not as there are many on slower bikes who are much better in the turns than I am.

karlos: I wouldn't want people to think I am putting down the Honda either. Hell, I wouldn't have been able to afford a new ER6n/f, thus mine being used. My used bike cost just shy of a new CBR500. If it didn't come up for sale, I would be on a Honda. I would also be on CB500F if it was more like the CB750's as I prefer a more cafe style bike. Have fun with your next bike, I wish the Thruxton 900 wasn't so over priced here...

piston broke: I have yet to get on a 500 as the rental costs are a bit wonky right now, I'll have to wait for the demand to drop a bit. What do you find better about them specifically?

• Like 1

Of course the ER6N is also a modern bike and I'm sure it is lovely to ride as well, but I would guess that 2 similarly competent riders on each machine would be pretty close in a canyon race.

You could be Wong smile.png

Sorry couldn't resist smile.png

Actually in a canyon race with riders of equal ability the Kawasaki 650 would wax any of the 3 Honda 500's

That is not to say they are not all great bikes.

But there is much more to it.

If you look at hp & torque of course that is obvious but also power to weight wise the

Kawasaki has a 50% whopping advantage & I do mean whopping because 50% is just that when it comes to bikes

power to weight ratios.

I am assuming when you say canyon it has sections that you need to shift more than once between turns.

It may start put close but with equal ability riders the 650 will walk away in a short while I guarantee it

But I am not saying size is everything & personally I now ride a N250 wink.png

• Like 1

The US comparisons of Versys and V-strom are not all that applicable here as the Versys ships without ABS in the states. Or used to back when I read some reviews 2 years ago.

My impression is that they are both good bikes.

Would take a versys over an er6n any day it's just a much better ride. The er6 wins on power but the V has much better suspension (way better than the cbx500 too), and more torque which makes it better in the turns. I've owned both btw.

I think the Versys is way too heavy for off road but then it's lighter than most real adventure bikes. If you don't know the first thing about bikes you might want to stick to the pavement with a heavy bike like that anyway. Use a proper dual sport for dirt....

• Like 2