Russian Resort Owner beaten-up on Pattaya’s Walking Street

Lite Beer

... always remember that the Thais are never alone. One call and the Thai guy has 10 friends to back up his side of the disagreement :)

This says it all on Thai people. I would rather die alone than win with the help of other 7 people!

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wager he will move the next time he is asked to step aside.

He is Russian, and is a resort owner - he can afford to call a few "friends" of his own. He just needs to be a bit quicker next time. On the other hand, if he remembers the faces or names, there might be some Russian justice soon. Russians are not known for being shy and self-effacing. And there are quite a few established in Pattaya.... The Thai thugs are amateurs.

So in Thailand, motorcycle taxi drivers are referred to as 'individuals'.... but foreign resort owner victims must have their nationality mentioned.

Still, I am quite impressed that a motorcycle taxi driver can get on his phone and quickly have the support of 7 or 8 mixed gender toughs.

I couldn't rustle up 3 friends never mind 3 genders!

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the Russian, I once politely asked a group of motorcycle taxi drivers to let me past on the pavement and nearly ended up injured.... they own the pavements, the roads, they own their parking areas and do not mention your asxj.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I'm 64, only 173cm and 63gk. Not exactly an "imposing" figure. But I hold a 2nd Dan in Shotokan and 1st Dan in Akido, and was Recon/Force Recon Marine for 18 of my 20 years in the Marines. Definitely can't judge this book by the cover.

3 years go I bought a nice gold necklace for my wife at a gold shop in Big C, Hang Dong. Put it in the inside pocket of my jacket, left, got on old model CBR 150 and casually headed home down the 200 Year highway. Had gone maybe 300 yard when 4 punks on 2 motorbike pulled up, one pushing over in front of me to block me off. No problem. Pulled over, got off the bike, took off helmet and smiled at them. Less than a minute later I was back on my bike, laughing most of the way home. Sometimes the good guys win, even in LOS

:wai2:

I love your story! Just hope it's true.
  • Like 2

I am just waiting for the day when the Russians or some other group reciprecate this thug meantality treatment.

A " We Gatcha " kick arse session that is really needed. These guys block the paths everywhere, Pattaya being one of the worst places to cross the street because of all the motorcycles lined up So,.I can't wait for the day I hear were a group of people set up a sting in pursuit of the purse snatchers and the motorcycle bandits that gang up on everyone.

I'm 64, only 173cm and 63gk. Not exactly an "imposing" figure. But I hold a 2nd Dan in Shotokan and 1st Dan in Akido, and was Recon/Force Recon Marine for 18 of my 20 years in the Marines. Definitely can't judge this book by the cover.

3 years go I bought a nice gold necklace for my wife at a gold shop in Big C, Hang Dong. Put it in the inside pocket of my jacket, left, got on old model CBR 150 and casually headed home down the 200 Year highway. Had gone maybe 300 yard when 4 punks on 2 motorbike pulled up, one pushing over in front of me to block me off. No problem. Pulled over, got off the bike, took off helmet and smiled at them. Less than a minute later I was back on my bike, laughing most of the way home. Sometimes the good guys win, even in LOS

wai2.gif

Sure it is, I heard it a few times before!

Personally, I have been bumped by these dam_n drivers when walking around the soi's on walking street. The drives have absolutely no regard for pedestrians and believe that it is their right to run over or into anyone in their way. There have been occassions when I have left my elbow extended a bit and have caused their mirrors to be bent or broken off when they drive by. It hurts a bit but worth it. I think I will have to temper my attitude because I could end up the same as every other assulted falang with just a simple phone call by one of these pr*cks.

"occassions when I have left my elbow extended a bit and have caused their mirrors to be bent or broken off when they drive by. "

If it needs your "actions" to inflict harm to them, they had not been to near. Only, to near for your attitude. rolleyes.gif

wai2.gif

I'm not in the habit of fabricating fairy tales. smile.png

• Like 2

One wonders about the 'ruskies' tone of voice and choice of words to the Thais!

He must have really pushed his luck for this to happen. Sure most Thais only fight with their buddies but who goes looking for a fight in sin city at 5 am?

'Only drunks and loons are out at that time and either one is gonna bring you trouble Borat!'blink.png

• Like 1

Personally, I have been bumped by these dam_n drivers when walking around the soi's on walking street. The drives have absolutely no regard for pedestrians and believe that it is their right to run over or into anyone in their way. There have been occassions when I have left my elbow extended a bit and have caused their mirrors to be bent or broken off when they drive by. It hurts a bit but worth it. I think I will have to temper my attitude because I could end up the same as every other assulted falang with just a simple phone call by one of these pr*cks.

Why anybody would stand around and let somebody phone for reinforcements boggles the mind.

To "prove" himself!

To get what he and his attitude deserves on the end! rolleyes.gif

So Pattaya is not "Family Friendly" at 5am

Tch ! Tch !

Do they publish the hours of 'Safety' in Pattaya for the Tourists ???

That way everyone will know what time is "Family Friendly" time

I am sure that it was the only parking spot available at 5 am

Increase in Tourist figures....?? ----Statistics - "What do you need them to say !" - old Government proverb in most countries.

Can't be too serious an event No one is Pointing !! & no line up of Uniforms

Another nail in the coffin for Pattaya and the rest of Thailand!

yawn...

Do these doomsday posters not realize they are sitting on the same limb they are cutting off.

Fortuitously for Thailand they are very misinformed.

This is behavior found all over Asia where face means every thing and rudeness is similar to wearing a sign on your back and front saying please kick me where it hurts.wai2.gif

• Like 2

I would have loved to witness what "would" have happened if they had picked on one of the top UFC octagon cage fighters such as Alistair Overeem : http://www.fighters.com/fighter/alistair-overeem

cheesy.gif

With OVEREEM's "Imposing appearance" it would not have happened.

Just to know how to fight even dirty and to be good in that, is enough,

so, the 1,73 m 61 kg Bantam Weight UFC Champion DOMINIC CRUZ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominick_Cruz

would have learned them a lesson. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I posted this yesterday on facebook:

Just had my first introduction to Thai men needing to "save face". I was walking along in a parallel soi to 11 (so probably 13?) , and this van was parked so I proceeded to walk around it in the street. This is common on soi 11. As I did so the van started to pull off (I was right next to it). So, I made one soft tap on the van to let him know I was there. The man asked me if I had a problem. He told me "it's a street". I said you have a mirror. You're supposed to use it (in case any traffic, motorbike, pedestrian is going by). So, he told me to "f*&^ you". I just kept walking away and bowing to him with my hands together in front of my face in typical thai style. He then made a gesture and sound like he was planning on coming after me with a knife to cut me up. So, I continued my gesture as I walked away trying to de-escalate the situation. He drove on down to pick up his wife/gf/who knows and then turn around stopped right next to me again essentially challenging me yet again. So, I just continued with the same gesture and walking away. I'm sure his girl was wondering what on Earth he was doing. Anyway, I got to thinking what would I have done if he decided to come after me anyway? This was not provoked at all except for the suggestion about the mirror (I already had some idea about this saving face from other posts). Anyway, I suppose that was my error. It's ok for him to complain about me being in the street, but not for me to say anything back. I suppose the soft knuckle wrap was too much for his poor ego as well.

Why would you even try to placate that idiot? I've never had that reaction and I've done the same thing (i.e. tap on windows). But I've also never acted as you. Once you start cowtowing many Thai men see it as a sign of weakness and will try to get a 'big face' by acting like a tough guy to a foreigner who -- no offense -- is acting like a coward.

You have to ask yourself if what you're doing is reasonable. Would Thais tap on a window of someone was about to hit him? My guess is they would if necessary (after all, it is the driver that's at fault). And for God sake's, if he says something like 'f*** you' say it back, stand your ground, do something but don't beg forgiveness.

I have seen foreigners stand their ground when they're in the right and Thais came to their side -- but they were in the right and not the one causing problems. If you act like a jerk, well, who will come to your aid? But many Thais also get offended when they see other Thais becoming overly rude or aggressive towards foreigners for no reason.

Too many people on TV give the wrong advice when it comes to Thais, always saying 'walk away' no matter what. But this can actually escalate problems. If you're polite and reasonable but someone still causes problems then stand up for yourself. Thais will respect you for it and you may actually change the way other Thais act towards foreigners.

you cant win here sometimes ,,,,be good,be bad,,your on to a loser sad to say,,if the thai is pissed well,what can you do,,,unless your a super hero,,,

I've used my horn on cars and bikes that are in the process of cutting in front of me which endangers me, them, my passenger, and their passenger. Over a six year period I've had all sorts of different reactions (really, no different from my home country). Some stop, some stop and smile, some stop and slight head bow (which I return), some refuse to look at you and don't stop at which I take evasive action, some look right at you and pull in front of you with indifference at which I take evasive action, some look right at you and pull in front of you with a shout and scowl at which I take evasive action. Then you get the yaa baa crowd that not only drive crazy, but are out of their minds.

Cause it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny

You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey"

They pushed that girl in front of the train Took her to the doctor, sewed her arm on again

Stabbed that man right in his heart Gave him a transplant for a brand new start

I can't walk through the park, cause it's crazy after dark

Keep my hand on my gun, cause they got me on the run

I feel like a outlaw, broke my last glass jaw

Hear them say: “You want some more?" livin' on a seesaw

It's like a jungle -- sometimes it makes me wonder How I keep from going under... -- Grandmaster Flash

Just had my first introduction to Thai men needing to "save face". I was walking along in a parallel soi to 11 (so probably 13?) , and this van was parked so I proceeded to walk around it in the street. This is common on soi 11. As I did so the van started to pull off (I was right next to it). So, I made one soft tap on the van to let him know I was there. The man asked me if I had a problem. He told me "it's a street". I said you have a mirror. You're supposed to use it (in case any traffic, motorbike, pedestrian is going by). So, he told me to "f*&^ you". I just kept walking away and bowing to him with my hands together in front of my face in typical thai style. He then made a gesture and sound like he was planning on coming after me with a knife to cut me up. So, I continued my gesture as I walked away trying to de-escalate the situation. He drove on down to pick up his wife/gf/who knows and then turn around stopped right next to me again essentially challenging me yet again. So, I just continued with the same gesture and walking away. I'm sure his girl was wondering what on Earth he was doing. Anyway, I got to thinking what would I have done if he decided to come after me anyway? This was not provoked at all except for the suggestion about the mirror (I already had some idea about this saving face from other posts). Anyway, I suppose that was my error. It's ok for him to complain about me being in the street, but not for me to say anything back. I suppose the soft knuckle wrap was too much for his poor ego as well.

Why would you even try to placate that idiot? I've never had that reaction and I've done the same thing (i.e. tap on windows). But I've also never acted as you. Once you start cowtowing many Thai men see it as a sign of weakness and will try to get a 'big face' by acting like a tough guy to a foreigner who -- no offense -- is acting like a coward.

You have to ask yourself if what you're doing is reasonable. Would Thais tap on a window of someone was about to hit him? My guess is they would if necessary (after all, it is the driver that's at fault). And for God sake's, if he says something like 'f*** you' say it back, stand your ground, do something but don't beg forgiveness.

I have seen foreigners stand their ground when they're in the right and Thais came to their side -- but they were in the right and not the one causing problems. If you act like a jerk, well, who will come to your aid? But many Thais also get offended when they see other Thais becoming overly rude or aggressive towards foreigners for no reason.

Too many people on TV give the wrong advice when it comes to Thais, always saying 'walk away' no matter what. But this can actually escalate problems. If you're polite and reasonable but someone still causes problems then stand up for yourself. Thais will respect you for it and you may actually change the way other Thais act towards foreigners.

I have had a few stand up arguments in bars over bill padding and I have also had a few minor disagreements with Songtaew drivers, serving staff and I didnt back down and I have lived to tell the tale. I never screamed swore or abused in those situations just stood my ground.

But if you are rude or swearing or noticeably drunk then I think it is more likely things will turn ugly.

This was some really really good advice- saying you're sorry in Thailand is the same as admiting you're at fault/in the wrong etc.

and the tone of voice-- how loud and rude--- or how calm and quiet you are can make a massive differance as mentioned in the above quotes.

but, TIT and while confrontations, (as mentioned in this thread) all have a common denominater, their outcomes can often be very very different.

I think you really have to "read each situation- and the "opponent", on an individual basis,-- and that kind of gives you an idea of how much latitude you have in, "standing up", and how far you might want to pursue the issue.

b

• Like 1

If he's already getting into arguments with locals that descend into this type of thing I really don't fancy his chances running that resort on Phangan.

Those Southern Hoodlums will eat him for breakfast.

My money is on him lasting five minutes down there with them.

to those saying he looks like he can take care of himself....I personally wouldn't like to tackle one yaba'd up khatoey let alone multiples of them....all the strength of a man with the venom of a woman when revved up, very dangerous especially with finger nails and stilettos as their weapons w00t.gif

you cant win here sometimes ,,,,be good,be bad,,your on to a loser sad to say,,if the thai is pissed well,what can you do,,,unless your a super hero,,,

I'm still relatively new here, and I so I tend to follow the advice I get from sites such as this until I know better. Granted I think for myself, but it seemed like the right move at the time. He did threaten to knife me, and I didnt have anything with which to defend myself. I'm not a black belt, etc. Neither have I been here for years to know the right thing to do. So, when in doubt do the safe thing. However, mentally I was prepared unless he got out of his car like a total nut job.

Additionally, I've heard stories such as the one above and figured I'd be confronted with a group rather than just the one. Not to mention I was carrying my very expensive laptop as well. I'd rather suck it up and walk away than risk something happening to that.

I've used my horn on cars and bikes that are in the process of cutting in front of me which endangers me, them, my passenger, and their passenger. Over a six year period I've had all sorts of different reactions (really, no different from my home country). Some stop, some stop and smile, some stop and slight head bow (which I return), some refuse to look at you and don't stop at which I take evasive action, some look right at you and pull in front of you with indifference at which I take evasive action, some look right at you and pull in front of you with a shout and scowl at which I take evasive action. Then you get the yaa baa crowd that not only drive crazy, but are out of their minds.

Cause it's all about money, ain't a dam_n thing funny

You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey"

They pushed that girl in front of the train Took her to the doctor, sewed her arm on again

Stabbed that man right in his heart Gave him a transplant for a brand new start

I can't walk through the park, cause it's crazy after dark

Keep my hand on my gun, cause they got me on the run

I feel like a outlaw, broke my last glass jaw

Hear them say: “You want some more?" livin' on a seesaw

It's like a jungle -- sometimes it makes me wonder How I keep from going under... -- Grandmaster Flash

You say

"cars and bikes that are in the process of cutting in front of me"

Where you come from this could well be the facts.

But here in Thailand it is the Thai way of driving and if you do the same to them they will not give it a second thought.

It seems like every time some thing like this comes up there is a farong involved. Can't remember a case of just Thai's involved.

This is not saying they are good drivers but definatly different. Who knows in America they definatly for the most part drive differently and still manage to kill over 40,000 people a year on the road.

i actually know this russian, and he is alright !, not a violent person ( although he is married to a russian lady with a Kid, so not sure he will like his picture being all over the papers ! )

• Like 1

I wager he will move the next time he is asked to step aside.

The guy on the motorbike was looking for trouble. Moving out of the way was not enough. He was targeting this Russian all the way.

• Like 1

The Russian guy looks like he could "Handle" himself; however, always remember that the Thais are never alone. One call and the Thai guy has 10 friends to back up his side of the disagreement smile.png

Tough guy arrogant foreigner with money, 5am outside because he has no contentment with his life or his girlfriend, if he did he would have been comfortably and safely indoors by 5 am. Rude arrogance to refuse to simply move to allow a LOCAL, who's country he is visiting, to park... again a sign of something wrong within this man's head and life.

So in the simplest of terms... seek and ye shall find :P

• Like 1

i actually know this russian, and he is alright !, not a violent person ( although he is married to a russian lady with a Kid, so not sure he will like his picture being all over the papers ! )

He's alright... wife and kid and he's out on walking street at 5 am with that street walker :D Yeah, 'he's alright jack!' :D

• Like 1

He's alright... wife and kid and he's out on walking street at 5 am with that street walker :D Yeah, 'he's alright jack!' :D

Most Russians have Mao nois !

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Most Russians have Mao nois !

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app