Turkey Meat in Chiang Mai

Mekong Bob

About canned lima beans--tender baby beans, no less, Nancy, Rim Ping stores have them right there alongside the other canned vegetables. It's a French product, and quite expensive at something around 110 baht a can. But some times you just gotta pay for good eating.

Which Rim Ping? They have different items at different stores.

They're at Mee Choke Plaza in San Sai.

post-55993-0-54544800-1371604145_thumb.j

the hunt for turkeys continues . . .

Rimping (Nim City) says they only carry these birds during "holidays" - Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Makro (Big C Hang Dong area) said the same, but suggested Tesco Lotus.

Anyone out there with some current confirmed sightings?

Seems to me that the last time I saw turkey was not terribly long ago, and that it was at Rimping Mae Chok, but I recall that there were only a couple of Butterball (?) birds, both pretty large. Then, I also recall more frozen turkey breasts. These might all be gone now. In any case, if you're a leg person, you are out of luck.

I know for a fact that Rimping Nim city has frozen turkey breast. Bought one 2 weeks ago.

more updates on the turkey hunt -

Northern Farms (Huai Kaeo Road) - only in November-December

Tesco-Lotus (Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Road) - only in November-December

Big C Hang Dong - only in November-December

(sigh!)

About canned lima beans--tender baby beans, no less, Nancy, Rim Ping stores have them right there alongside the other canned vegetables. It's a French product, and quite expensive at something around 110 baht a can. But some times you just gotta pay for good eating.

attachicon.gifBonduelle-flag.JPG

Nope -- been there, done that. Those aren't lima beans, those are flageolet beans -- used commonly in French cooking. Lima beans are a New World bean with a different flavor. I've tried substituting flageolet beans, broad beans and Japanese edeame beans for lima beans in succotash and find the Japanese beans work the best.

But, I'd like to learn more about the Burmese food market in the Night Bazaar area -- when and where?

Nope -- been there, done that. Those aren't lima beans, those are flageolet beans -- used commonly in French cooking. Lima beans are a New World bean with a different flavor. I've tried substituting flageolet beans, broad beans and Japanese edeame beans for lima beans in succotash and find the Japanese beans work the best.

But, I'd like to learn more about the Burmese food market in the Night Bazaar area -- when and where?

Early Friday morning and the location is go in onto Chang Klan off Thapae Rd and turn left onto the side soi that goes beside the Mosque there. I think its the first left soi in after you get on Chang Klan The entrance to the market is directly across from the entrance to the mosque. Some unique things at that market. Happy hunting.\

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Definitely not flageolet beans. These beans looked like lima beans, came in pods that looked like lima bean pods. Completely different. Maybe they're seasonal so none available now.

I know for a fact that Rimping Nim city has frozen turkey breast. Bought one 2 weeks ago.

more updates on the turkey hunt -

Northern Farms (Huai Kaeo Road) - only in November-December

Tesco-Lotus (Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Road) - only in November-December

Big C Hang Dong - only in November-December

(sigh!)

When I went to Rimping Nim City yesterday looking for the cheese from another thread. Had a look for the frozen turkey breast but they were all gone. But I did find pheasant which I have never noticed there before. We picked up 2 and they were an average of 725 bahts each.