Anyone else get their once-a-year "prove you're still alive" form from U.S. SSA?

NancyL

Hubby just received his Form SSA-7162-OCR-SM "Report to the United States Social Security Administration" at our CM address. This is the form they send once a year for recipients to complete and return to show they're still alive. Anyone else received theirs recently?

We moved across town in November 2011 and emailed SSA Manila with the new mailing address. We received an email reply saying they'd change the record for his address. Then his payment stopped in Feb. 2012. I know of a two other Americans whose payments stopped in Feb. 2012. It wasn't that big a deal to restart -- an email to the U.S. consulate and the money appeared as a double payment the next month. Good thing we have some cash reserves and don't count on the payment arriving every month.

But, in my emails to the consulate and the Manila SSA office I asked if there was a certain time of the year when they sent this form, so I'd know to watch for it. They said no, they send them at random times during the year. But, it's odd that two other Americans I know here in CM just received their forms, too.

I don't think this form is sent if SSA thinks you still live in the U.S.. We use a U.S. mail-forwarding service, but we didn't start Hubby's SS until after we moved here. Manila said he'd have to apply in Miami if we wanted SSA to use a Miami mailing address for him. No plans to go to Miami to look at our mailforwarding service, so we agreed to apply as resident in Thailand. Interestingly, it's no problem for the monthly payment to be direct deposited into a U.S. bank account, though.

The Brits have to do something similar, only their form has the omenous title of "Proof of Life" and the signature has to be witnessed by someone responsible. The list of who can witness includes consular employees, of course, but also community leaders like local bank managers or clergy. Just google "Proof of Life form" and you'll see that the annual ritual for the Bits is more onerous than for Americans. Our form doesn't need a witness, unless the form is signed with a mark like a thumbprint.

Edited by NancyL

I was told by the Manila office, that if there is no response from you on the first form sent, they send another. If there is no response on the second one sent, they will stop payment.

2 weeks ago and returned it. your all late..

Yes, I got mine and returned it, as I do every year. My SS payments are deposited into my bank in Chicago, but SS knows I stay in Thailand.

Once upon a time SS required banks receiving direct payments to agree to return SS payments inadvertently made after you expired or otherwise became ineligible, but these days they seem to have dropped that requirement.

I also request a proof of payment every year to use (as back-up proof if asked by Thai Immigrations) when applying for my annual extension of stay.

Not really sure what the point of the thread is.

Edited by Suradit69

got mine on friday and mailed it in today... got one for the kid too, as she is minor child and gets SS funds too...

first year we were here, the mail was really late and we got our second notice... but EMS saved us from getting the tap turned off... since we have been in our current residence for over 3 yrs now... they arrive like clockwork.

Received mine, too. I always send it back to the USA via EMS, to be sure they get it.

This time I want to supply both residence address, if that is what they ask, and an extra mailing address, perhaps even a P.O. BOx, safer than my residence. Will that be acceptable to them?

Edited by purushanti

I am a Brit and I got two proof of Life letters last year! One for each pension, plus the first letter for one pension never arrived, then I got a letter saying they were stopping my pension! Eventually sorted it out but they do not confirm receipt so the first you will know of that is when they threaten to stop your pension! Given the vagrancies of the various postal systems it is entirely possible you never receive any of their letters! Oh and I was 65 last year!

funny im a brit,have been fo a awful long time,and ive never ever heard of this prove of life thing,typical yanks got there nose in to everthing.but to be fair i will goggle it and MAYBE learn somet,never too old a.

I am British and though do not receive a Social Security payment/pension I do have an Armed Forces Pension and recieved a form from the administrators earlier this year which I had to have a reputable person, (who has known me for more than 5 years), to witness my signature and then return. Though a list of people who could sign to witness my signature was given, In the end the only qualified person to have was the Thai Bank manager even though she had no idea who I was and I doubt understood what she was signing.

Had to return within 60 days or my pension would be stopped.

A pain in the butt but I can understand they do not want to keep paying out if one is dead.

I get the same letter every year around this time. They only send it to SS recipients who have an address outside the USA.

I always send it back via Registered Mail, requesting a return receipt. One year the return receipt took 12 weeks to arrive and another year it never arrived here at all, but SS apparently received it anyway.

If there's any problem with SS, it can normally be resolved through eMailing the SS office in the US Embassy in Manila.

funny im a brit,have been fo a awful long time,and ive never ever heard of this prove of life thing,typical yanks got there nose in to everthing.but to be fair i will goggle it and MAYBE learn somet,never too old a.

I am British and though do not receive a Social Security payment/pension I do have an Armed Forces Pension and recieved a form from the administrators earlier this year which I had to have a reputable person, (who has known me for more than 5 years), to witness my signature and then return. Though a list of people who could sign to witness my signature was given, In the end the only qualified person to have was the Thai Bank manager even though she had no idea who I was and I doubt understood what she was signing.

A pain in the butt but I can understand they do not want to keep paying out if one is dead.

Lets assume someone has not lived here for 5 years. Therefore no one in this country would be able to sign as having known you for 5 years. Then what do you do?

I'm not collecting SS yet as I'm still working. However, I do have a pension from a states university retirement system and do get a letter every year. Usually I have the university director sign it due to his position and knowing me for so long. Occasionally though, the accompanying letter and the form will explicitly state it must be signed at the consulate and the consulate stamp on it. I also return it via EMS for 600 baht. Too important to me to send by regular mail.

I am a Brit and I got two proof of Life letters last year! One for each pension, plus the first letter for one pension never arrived, then I got a letter saying they were stopping my pension! Eventually sorted it out but they do not confirm receipt so the first you will know of that is when they threaten to stop your pension! Given the vagrancies of the various postal systems it is entirely possible you never receive any of their letters! Oh and I was 65 last year!

doesnt make sense post,propaly a form to begin pensions,

Someone asked about the point of this thread.

As some of you know, I sometimes assist older expats with problems, usually medical problems. Many of the people I assist are brought to Suan Dok hospital and have real problems if their pension check is late.

In February, I received several phone calls from Americans I'd assisted in the past year, saying their SS payment had stopped and they didn't know what to do. It seems SSA cut off the payments in Feb this year for people who hadn't mailed the "prove you're still alive letter" the previous year. Some were totally surprised this letter existed.

Have run into the same problem with Brits, also. Good to know they don't start to send out the "Proof of Life" letter until age 72. For some reason, the Brits are much more antagonistic about this form. Maybe it's the title -- "Proof of Life" somehow seems more intrusive than "Report to the SSA" Also the requirement for the Brits to have a witness, with the consular officials being the preferred witnesses is more intrusive. But, the British consul doesn't charge to witness "Proof of Life" for their citizens. No need for witness with the U.S. version if someone can clearly sign their name.

Despite what SSA Manila told me last year when I asked if there's a certain time of year they send the "Report to the SSA", it does seem that they send them all at one time.

So, Americans, if the SSA knows you live in Thailand, then you should be looking for this form soon. Otherwise your SS benefit may stop in a few months.

Edited by NancyL

Lets assume someone has not lived here for 5 years. Therefore no one in this country would be able to sign as having known you for 5 years. Then what do you do?

As I said above there is a list of people eligible to sign.

One of them is your Bank Manager.

I queried this telling them I have never met the manager so it was a bit stupid and morethan likely would not understandwhat they are signing.

However as I had no alternative they said it would be accepted and it was.

If I remember correctly some other persons could have been a registered solicitor or a fellow Officer of the Armed Forces.

UK, starts at 72 chum, and where you live. whistling.gif

Someone asked about the point of this thread.

As some of you know, I sometimes assist older expats with problems, usually medical problems. Many of the people I assist are brought to Suan Dok hospital and have real problems if their pension check is late.

In February, I received several phone calls from Americans I'd assisted in the past year, saying their SS payment had stopped and they didn't know what to do. It seems SSA cut off the payments in Feb this year for people who hadn't mailed the "prove you're still alive letter" the previous year. Some were totally surprised this letter existed.

Have run into the same problem with Brits, also. Good to know they don't start to send out the "Proof of Life" letter until age 72. For some reason, the Brits are much more antagonistic about this form. Maybe it's the title -- "Proof of Life" somehow seems more intrusive than "Report to the SSA" Also the requirement for the Brits to have a witness, with the consular officials being the preferred witnesses is more intrusive. But, the British consul doesn't charge to witness "Proof of Life" for their citizens. No need for witness with the U.S. version if someone can clearly sign their name.

Despite what SSA Manila told me last year when I asked if there's a certain time of year they send the "Report to the SSA", it does seem that they send them all at one time.

So, Americans, if the SSA knows you live in Thailand, then you should be looking for this form soon. Otherwise your SS benefit may stop in a few months.

At 76 years old and having received UK pension for the past eleven years I have never received a letter asking me to prove I am still alive, must admit I am surprised by this. I also receive a pension from Australia and in the last eleven years have received forms to fill out about four times to prove I am still of this world, on each occasion this mindless government have sent 51 double sided peices of A4 to fill out, hundreds and hundreds of questions to answer, always the same questions. Some of the questions concern the dates that I have left a country and the dates I have arrived in a country, I have lived in five different countries for many years in each and have come and gone on various holiday or business trips on several hundred occasions spanning a 62 year period. Do they really expect me to remember the dates? Not to mention four wives [not at the same time] The only way to keep the Australian pension people happy is to do them a favour and die on your 65th birthday.

Compared to similar forms from other governments, the SSA form is pretty tame. Took less than two minutes to complete. One page, two sided. Hubby will send it regular mail, from a Thai post office. Won't pay for EMS unless it was a second notice, then it's really important to make sure it arrives at SSA.

Genericnic -- what's the alternative? You wouldn't want them to keep direct depositing funds into the account of someone who's dead, would you? That's a real waste of money.

Compared to similar forms from other governments, the SSA form is pretty tame. Took less than two minutes to complete. One page, two sided. Hubby will send it regular mail, from a Thai post office. Won't pay for EMS unless it was a second notice, then it's really important to make sure it arrives at SSA.

Genericnic -- what's the alternative? You wouldn't want them to keep direct depositing funds into the account of someone who's dead, would you? That's a real waste of money.

Online confirmation. Just as safe and secure as a paper form and much quicker. Maybe the government has just never heard of electronic signatures.

David

For some its only a waste of money when its the gov. A private pension I have took 5 months of paperwork back and forth before getting it. They informed me that they would be checking up on me in the same matter as SS does.

For some its only a waste of money when its the gov. A private pension I have took 5 months of paperwork back and forth before getting it. They informed me that they would be checking up on me in the same matter as SS does.

Could be because the private pension doesn't tax you and uses its own money to do stupid things that can me done more efficiently and cheaper electronically.

David