Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall jailed for child sex assaults

News_Editor

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- Veteran British television and radio presenter Stuart Hall was sentenced Monday to more than a year in prison after he pleaded guilty to sexually abusing more than a dozen young girls between the ages of 9 and 17, prosecutors said, calling him an "opportunistic predator."

The investigation against Hall, 83, was launched by Scotland Yard in October 2012 when they received an anonymous letter which alleged the presenter had sexually abused the writer when she was a young teenager in the 1970s. He was eventually arrested in December after four other victims came forward independently.

Hall was charged with three counts of indecent assault for offenses committed between 1974 and 1984 that involved three girls between the ages of 9 and 17. He was arrested again in January after more victims came forward, and he was then charged with one count of rape and 14 counts of indecent assault for offenses committed between 1967 and 1986 that involved 10 girls between the ages of 9 and 17 years.

The former BBC entertainer initially denied all the offenses but eventually pleaded guilty on April 16 to all fourteen counts of indecent assault after four of the charges were rolled into one indictment. He denied raping a 22-year-old woman and prosecutors decided to drop the case, leaving it to lie on file.

The woman who wrote the anonymous letter that sparked the investigation and led to the first arrest eventually came forward in December to identify herself. She was interviewed by officers and gave a formal statement, but she later asked prosecutors not to pursue her case after learning Hall had pleaded guilty in the other assaults.

Appearing at Preston Crown Court on Monday, Hall was sentenced to 15 months in prison for the assaults. Judge Anthony Russell said the presenter would have received 20 months in prison if the case had gone to trial, but he reduced the sentence by five months to reflect his guilty pleas.

"I welcome today's sentence imposed by the court and I hope that it will help the victims in this case move forward with their lives," said Detective Superintendent Neil Esseen of Lancashire Constabulary's Major Investigation Team. "I would like once again to commend the victims in this case for having the courage to come forward."

Esseen added: "They have lived with what happened for a long period of time and it cannot have been easy for them to come forward, especially as when they did so, they did not know there were others who had also suffered abuse. We are committed to investigating any allegations of sexually abuse thoroughly and with sensitivity, no matter how long ago they happened and we will always strive to protect our communities, no matter the status of the alleged perpetrator."

In a brief statement, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) said the corporation was 'appalled' by Hall's crimes and previously indicated they will no longer work with him. "The BBC is appalled that some of Stuart Hallâs crimes took place in connection with his work at the BBC and offer an unreserved apology to the people he abused," the broadcaster said.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

"....more than a year."

What is that about a month per child?

For some molesters that might actually be a sentence they would be willing to take.

That's exactly the first thing I thought. So destroying a child's life is only punishable with a month or so in jail? Amazing England !!!

I guess when we have the urge put down the Thai judicial system, we should remember this heinous injustice. Don't get me wrong -- the Thai system certainly has its problems, but this is absurd. How can those responsible for such inappropriate leniency look at themselves in the mirror or sleep?

On top of that, this is very likely a small representation of how many children's lives he's actually wrecked. It's well known that many people will not come forward to press charged due to the shame and embarrassment they feel. I realize the court system can only sentence the convictions they have, but come on...

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

"....more than a year."

For some molesters that might actually be a sentence they would be willing to take.

exactly, one can only suspect the person doing the sentencing was a part of the club.

a year per child minimum, consecutive.

this sends a message that it is acceptable.

there are people in the uk serving more time for simple possession

Frankly, I'm very surprised that there hasn't been more indignation expressed here. It's an obvious and horrible injustice, but does the general silence by the TVF community mean that many or even most members condone the action of the English legal system in this case?

1.25 stinking years! They must be concerned that the pedo may find incarceration a strain on his health.

How about 15 years in general population?

1.25 years -- No, not that much.

The reality is that if this disgracefully lenient sentence stands up, Stuart Hall will be out in about 5 months, so the reality is that each of the 14 convictions against him for destroying children's lives is punished with less than 2 weeks of jail time per offense. Incredible England !!!

1.25 stinking years! They must be concerned that the pedo may find incarceration a strain on his health.

Don't forget that gets reduced for good behaviour too, unless the judge has stipulated he must serve all of that time.

I reckon about 8 months in total.

"....more than a year."

Yes, far too light. At his age it should have been 12 years rather than 12 months!

Frankly, I'm very surprised that there hasn't been more indignation expressed here. It's an obvious and horrible injustice, but does the general silence by the TVF community mean that many or even most members condone the action of the English legal system in this case?

The TVF community, to use your slightly ludicrous expression, might perhaps more usefully take an interest in exploitation of minors closer to home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22884783

- in which Pattaya is described , correctly in my view,, as a notoriously sleazy seaside town and magnet for paedophiles.Does the general silence of the "TVF community" - where many of its members reside - on the abuse of children in Pattaya mean it condones it?

This particular thread is about BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall. For now, let's stick to that topic. Pattaya and general pedophilia can be discussed elsewhere or on another day.

• Like 1

+1....really make me sick. 15 months in jail...Total B/S .....

We don't all read the World News forum on an hourly basis you know.

The interesting part to me in this case was that the only rape charge laid against Hall was allowed to lie on the file. I can understand that it may have been agreed better that than traumatising the victim, however does anyone know if that charge was considered in the sentencing?

If it was and the 15 month sentence is inclusive of that then that's diabolical. As for the 15 month sentence allocated, I'm delighted that it's going to appeal.

Anyway, on a more disturbing note from a legal point of view, part of his defence was " it was only 13 victims as compared to Jimmy Saville's 1,300 ". I don't know if it was a QC or a Barrister that uttered those words in our court, but I hope the relevant association censures that person for this wretched defence.

Only 13 kids molested? <deleted>.

I have some mixed emotions about prosecuting someone who is very old, so long after the fact and it's not limited just to chiild molestation, I have in the front of my mind the subject of people alledgedly engaged in atrocities during world war two, and let's be clear, I in no way shape or form condone anyone who molests children.

The problem I have is that memories become so unreliable with the passage of time and whilst a person who wishes to bring charges against another for something that alledgedly happened forty or firty years ago, the chances of an innocent person being able to sucessfully defend themslves against such allegations are nigh on impossible. I mean, ask yourself what would you do if the authorities came knocking on your door with a tale that you did this that or the other fifty years and the story was untrue, where would you possibly begin in trying to defend yourself and how, you almost can't I suspect and that's my concern with all of this.

I have some mixed emotions about prosecuting someone who is very old, so long after the fact and it's not limited just to chiild molestation, I have in the front of my mind the subject of people alledgedly engaged in atrocities during world war two, and let's be clear, I in no way shape or form condone anyone who molests children.

The problem I have is that memories become so unreliable with the passage of time and whilst a person who wishes to bring charges against another for something that alledgedly happened forty or firty years ago, the chances of an innocent person being able to sucessfully defend themslves against such allegations are nigh on impossible. I mean, ask yourself what would you do if the authorities came knocking on your door with a tale that you did this that or the other fifty years and the story was untrue, where would you possibly begin in trying to defend yourself and how, you almost can't I suspect and that's my concern with all of this.

To be fair, it's the volume of victims coming forward that makes the difference. The police once they start to put the puzzle together usually detect a pattern then present the evidence to the DPP. The DPP then has to decide if the evidence is substantive enough and if it's in the public interest to proceed.

I think there's enough checks and balances in the system already, and I think it works quite well..

That's a bit like the penchant for the Bush administration to roll out that old saying: "if you're not with us, you're against us".

Please don't take people's silence as condoning the legal system of England and Wales, but instead, as their probable incredulity of the system.

I was close to becoming part of that system and turned away from it as soon as I became aware that the law really is an ass...!

We don't all read the World News forum on an hourly basis you know.

The interesting part to me in this case was that the only rape charge laid against Hall was allowed to lie on the file. I can understand that it may have been agreed better that than traumatising the victim, however does anyone know if that charge was considered in the sentencing?

If it was and the 15 month sentence is inclusive of that then that's diabolical. As for the 15 month sentence allocated, I'm delighted that it's going to appeal.

Anyway, on a more disturbing note from a legal point of view, part of his defence was " it was only 13 victims as compared to Jimmy Saville's 1,300 ". I don't know if it was a QC or a Barrister that uttered those words in our court, but I hope the relevant association censures that person for this wretched defence.

Only 13 kids molested? <deleted>.

It is strange and worrisome that someone in the legal profession would even think this let alone utter it.

What I see here is that Hall's age has been taken into consideration (83) and that has been why the sentencing has been so pathetically light.

This is totally wrong in so many ways, IMHO.

1. It presents the British justice system as a farce to the victims and families of the victims.

2. It presents the British justice system as a farce to the rest of the world.

3. Regardless of his age, he should have received the full extent of sentencing from the court. This person has been an "opportunistic predator", likely for his full adult life and the figures of persons he has abused during this time will never be known. Because he is most likely not considered a threat today it has no consideration to what he has/may have done in the past.

I realize point 3 above is not, will not ever be proved, but any country's legal system that does not demonstrate deterrent to acts of abuse like these by persons hiding behind their public faces does not work.

IMHO of course......................

I agree with your opinion in full. I note also that Stuart Hall recently transferred his home to his wife's name, he's trying to protect his assets in the event of being sued by his victims.

I suggest to his victims to take out a class action against him, and if they can't get legal aid, then open up a pages on causes.com so that we members of the British public can ensure that he is forced to pay every righteous penny in compensation.

A year is a ridiculous insult to the victims..... That said he will need to be on 24 hr lock up. One year in solitary confinement will probably finish him off. Good riddance dirty pervert b::--//d.