Thai monks rebuked over 'ostentatious' jet ride

webfact

Thai monks rebuked over 'ostentatious' jet ride

m1.jpg

video screenshot

BANGKOK, June 18, 2013 (AFP) - The behaviour of Thailand's Buddhist clergy has been thrust under the spotlight after footage emerged of three monks flying in a private jet, wearing earphones and sunglasses and travelling with a Louis Vuitton luxury bag.

The video, which has been viewed nearly 200,000 times on YouTube, has prompted fevered debate in the Buddhist-dominated kingdom over monks' adherence to austere principles which include living without possessions, beyond a handful of robes.

According to one of the monks, who has since been "reprimanded", the jet was chartered by a devotee to fly them home to northeast Si Sa Ket from Bangkok after performing duties in November, said Nopparat Benjawattantnun, director of the National Office of Buddhism.

"His behaviour -- wearing sunglasses and carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag -- amounts to an ostentatious display that will provoke criticism from laymen," Nopparat said.

Virood Chaipanna, director of Si Sa Ket's Office of Buddhism, named the monk as Luang Pu Nenkham Chattigo, 34, from Wat Pa Khantitham.

"Yesterday I went to the temple but he was not there. They said he is in France," Virood said.

Buddhism is Thailand's state religion and around 95 percent of the population is believed to follow it -- the highest percentage in the world.

Figures last year from the National Office of Buddhism showed Thailand had more than 61,000 monks.

Their behaviour frequently falls under the spotlight with media reports uncovering cases of clergy taking drugs, drinking, gambling and visiting prostitutes.

"To be in the monkhood one should be isolated and content with what one has," said Pra Khru Vinaithorn Teerawit, of the Buddhism Protection Center of Thailand, adding complaints are most commonly made against newly ordained monks.

Referring to the video, he said the public reaction should depend on whether the monks chose to travel by private jet or if it was organised by followers.

"If monks chose to travel by jet then it's not suitable," he said.

The video can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sANFgwoJeic

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-18

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two comments. Firstly if Monks are going to France then it's probably better flying than walking - if the sponsors want to pay, then so what? Secondly, I don't believe these guys are monks. The chap at the back had longer hair than me! A Monk with a mustache? Nah..... It's a spoof designed to do exactly what it is doing - throwing the Monks "under the bus" for some reason

whatever do you mean not monks.

One MONK has been positively identified by "Virood Chaipanna, director of Si Sa Ket's Office of Buddhism,"

the others may not b monks at all, but what dos that say about the one travelling in their company.

nobody has anything against a genuinely devout clergy, and even the average male on retreat is forgiven many a transgression, but these guys are clearly taking the piss

• Like 1

Nothing new here. The Pope has a Maybach and his private airplane partition would make a business-class passenger blush. The clergy were the next set of historical swindlers after kings (See Guns, Germs and Steel). But Thai Buddhism is so holy that nothing but the holiness can touch such holiness.

100% agree

• Like 1

61, 000? I think the figure is nearer a quarter of a million. This number rises around Song Khran into june. many of the monks are temporary.

Although the numbers are dropping over recent years, as they rely on donates from the public for everything from food to housing it represents a significant financial burden on the Thai people as a whole.

It is also disturbing to see the blatant abuse of this holy position by so many monks - not just the ones flying about in planes, but those hanging around in Tuk.com phone markets etc.....and outside after Khao Pansa during Vassa.

I have two comments. Firstly if Monks are going to France then it's probably better flying than walking - if the sponsors want to pay, then so what? Secondly, I don't believe these guys are monks. The chap at the back had longer hair than me! A Monk with a mustache? Nah..... It's a spoof designed to do exactly what it is doing - throwing the Monks "under the bus" for some reason

The flight in question was from Bangkok to Sisaket in the North, a route covered by coaches adequately. Obviously to France is another thing (not the flight mentioned - merely where the media were told the monk now was), but even so private jet would still be grossly ostentatious.

Nothing new here. The Pope has a Maybach and his private airplane partition would make a business-class passenger blush. The clergy were the next set of historical swindlers after kings (See Guns, Germs and Steel). But Thai Buddhism is so holy that nothing but the holiness can touch such holiness.

The Pope is Catholic, Catholics have long displayed wealth and refinement (Puritanism meanwhile supports the opposite). Theravada Buddhism, on the other hand, is actively defined around a set of precepts (5 for laymen - 272 for Monks) many of the Monks precepts relate to not owning things other than discarded rags and offered food, to not attempt to beautify oneself or show off (which is why they shave their heads and make up is banned), to eat just enough to sustain life (2/3rds full), etc. Owning flashy luggage, mobile phones, computers (it is OK to use computers, but they should be owned by the temple not the individual), designer/fashion sun glasses etc. It is direct violation - it would be like the Pope having a live-in girlfriend - would nothing be said if that was discovered?

So how are Thailand's monks different than the clergy? The Pope (I am commanded by Microsoft to comply with their correction of my improper use of capital letters [or lack thereof])?

Edited by Unkomoncents
  • Like 2

whatever do you mean not monks.

One MONK has been positively identified by "Virood Chaipanna, director of Si Sa Ket's Office of Buddhism,"

the others may not b monks at all, but what dos that say about the one travelling in their company.

nobody has anything against a genuinely devout clergy, and even the average male on retreat is forgiven many a transgression, but these guys are clearly taking the piss

Why use slang when a good portion of the readers are NOT from your country where only that slang is known?

The flight in question was from Bangkok to Sisaket in the North, a route covered by coaches adequately. Obviously to France is another thing (not the flight mentioned - merely where the media were told the monk now was), but even so private jet would still be grossly ostentatious.

The Pope is Catholic, Catholics have long displayed wealth and refinement (Puritanism meanwhile supports the opposite). Theravada Buddhism, on the other hand, is actively defined around a set of precepts (5 for laymen - 272 for Monks) many of the Monks precepts relate to not owning things other than discarded rags and offered food, to not attempt to beautify oneself or show off (which is why they shave their heads and make up is banned), to eat just enough to sustain life (2/3rds full), etc. Owning flashy luggage, mobile phones, computers (it is OK to use computers, but they should be owned by the temple not the individual), designer/fashion sun glasses etc. It is direct violation - it would be like the Pope having a live-in girlfriend - would nothing be said if that was discovered?

So how are Thailand's monks different than the pope?

coffee1.gifgiggle.gif Whoops........there goes another rubber tree plant! Yadayada. That's how

Let's not forget that the real crime here is not that they chose/were offered to ride in a jet and/or carry a LV manpurse, but that they let themselves be filmed doing so. There's thus some intent underpinning the ostentation, which makes it particularly reprehensible.

Merely reprimanding the offenders rather than excommunicating them (or whatever word you use for 'kicking their ***** out of the institution' for Buddhists) basically broadcasts "go ahead, pimp like these guys, the worst you get is a slap on the wrist"

These guys have already been identified so I think its real. Monks are allowed to keep some hair during cold weather.

I just hope they behave a bit better in France.

buddhism isnt a religeon its a set of teachings buddha was a real person not a daity, (GOD),for whom no matter what belief you follow no-one has ever seen,and never will,,,,this topic just casts a bad light on the real genuine monks ,,male and female,,,as to the catholic church,,they like to preach to the very poor telling them theyl burn in hell etc,,all the while living like kings ,,,,,,,,hypocrasy at its very best ,,,,dont do as i do,,do as i say,,,and they still say condoms are evil,,,,grow up ,,like the ptp they need there power,,,,

• Like 1