Aussie envoy thrusts weapons in Phuket into the spotlight

webfact

Aussie envoy thrusts weapons in Phuket into the spotlight
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: The Deputy Head of Mission at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, Jonathan Kenna, yesterday placed the carrying of weapons on the streets of Phuket into the spotlight at a meeting with the Phuket Governor.

“I told the governor that the safety of the tourist is the most important issue,” Mr Kenna, speaking in Thai, told the press following a closed-door meeting with Governor Maitri Inthusut at Provincial Hall this morning.

“Governor Maitri and the Australian Embassy agree that we need to work together to protect the life and property of Australian expats and tourists during their stay in Phuket,” he added.

“There should be strict controls on the carrying of weapons. The embassy and the governor will work together on this issue and other issues about tourist safety,” Mr Kenna said.

The call for strict measures to curtail the carrying of weapons in public follows the death of Australian tourist Michelle Smith in Kata last year. Ms Smith died after being stabbed during a failed bag-snatch attempt (story here).

Regarding tourist safety at Phuket beaches, Mr Kenna confirmed that the training program between Australian lifeguards and the Phuket Sea Rescue Center will continue as it has done for years.

Governor Maitri broached the topic of traffic jams creating a major inconvenience for tourists visiting the island.

“I talked to Mr Kenna about the problems with transportation. Tourists can currently take only one main road from the airport to town – and in rush hour, there are long traffic jams.

“I explained to Mr Kenna that we are trying to find a way to solve this problem, such as offering a sea taxi service from the airport to Patong. Tourists could avoid using the road and travel by boat instead,” Gov Maitri said.

Mr Kenna and Gov Maitri also discussed medical tourism.

“Mr Kenna praised the medical treatment services available in Thailand,” said Gov Maitri.

“We provide quality medical services at reasonable prices compared with Australia and many other foreign countries. This makes Thailand an attractive destination for medical tourists,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Aussie-envoy-thrusts-weapons-in-Phuket-into-the-spotlight-21377.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-19

Phew. He diplomatically avoided the matter of Australians themselves shooting other tourists.

Exactly,Aussie Bikers with Freddie Kruger tattoos turning Patong into a South-East Asian version of the OK Corrall!w00t.gif

• Like 1

“I told the governor that the safety of the tourist is the most important issue,” Mr Kenna

Sorry but I think you'll find that it's the tourists money that is most important.coffee1.gif

At least the Governor didn't actually say - "You Farang just don't understand the way we do things in Thailand.." He probably thought it...

“I told the governor that the safety of the tourist is the most important issue,” Mr Kenna

Sorry but I think you'll find that it's the tourists money that is most important.coffee1.gif

At least the Governor didn't actually say - "You Farang just don't understand the way we do things in Thailand.." He probably thought it...

I do not get it. What makes Phuket so fantastic that tourists are willing to get cheated, beaten, raped and murdered? If all those "envoys" would apply common sense they would put a travel warning out and use clear language.

Visit Phuket only if you are aware of scams (jet ski and others), over- and double pricing, short changed and screwed from the moment you set foot on the island. Please sign bottom right as we are NOT doing ANYTHING to help you getting out of your choice of misery.

This would scare off quite some spenders and get the governer and his pussies to start thinking about their jobs. And the governor's English or rather lack of command of the language is NOT the reason, why nothing moves. Pathetic!

• Like 1

And who is to say that he never said it "and it was just not reported on that's all)

I do not get it. What makes Phuket so fantastic that tourists are willing to get cheated, beaten, raped and murdered? If all those "envoys" would apply common sense they would put a travel warning out and use clear language.

Visit Phuket only if you are aware of scams (jet ski and others), over- and double pricing, short changed and screwed from the moment you set foot on the island. Please sign bottom right as we are NOT doing ANYTHING to help you getting out of your choice of misery.

This would scare off quite some spenders and get the governer and his pussies to start thinking about their jobs. And the governor's English or rather lack of command of the language is NOT the reason, why nothing moves. Pathetic!

Any Aussie friends or family say they going to Phuket, I tell them to turn sharp left out of the airport and head 50 or 60km north.

Quiet beaches, nice places to stay. Khao Lak is delightful.

Why do you think the Germans and Scandinavians have nice resorts there?