BIB and red lights

bubblegum

Was driving on Sai Juan towards Viset road Rawai when 3 police bikes passed me. They were just cruising around and talking to each other. At the traffic lights all 3 off them ran the red light. Nice example they give :-)

Edited by bubblegum

My impression of Thai traffic lights is that they are there for decoration.

Many (not all) Thais regularly ignore them.

I now hold back a few extra seconds if first in a queue when traffic lights turn green.

Better to be safe than sorry

Actually kind of surprising. I rarely see one without a helmet and have never seen one run a light.

A while before your post I noticed a lot of police out on the street in front of the Chalong police station, but not stopping anyone, just observing traffic. Also a truck full of uniformed police of some kind in the circle going somewhere, so my first thought is there was something going on. Perhaps we will read something later that will explain your observations.

They are cops. They might be on the way to a crime scene.

They run red lights in any other nation when it's an emergency.

I wrote that they were cruising and talking to each other. Hardly underway to an emergency although.......:-)

But in many or maybe most countries by either law or protocol their emergency lights must be activated if they are going to violate the rules of the road to respond in an emergency.

But in many or maybe most countries by either law or protocol their emergency lights must be activated if they are going to violate the rules of the road to respond in an emergency.

Not in Thailand, perhaps they dont want to scare away the criminals

Not in Thailand, perhaps they dont want to scare away the criminals

Do the police bikes even have lights or sirens?

Ha Ha. Honda Wave fully kitted out with flashing lights and sirens - I would love to see that.

But seriously they do have big police bikes..not seen so many on Phuket, but they are here.

Saw the big BMW police bike in Phuket town last week.

Lights and radio attached and he was kitted out with boots and all. Beautiful brand new bike.

Very professional compared to the click brigade.

I must admit that if on the bike, no traffic approaching and no kids around I do the same and run red lights.

Ah but are you dressed in brown ?

Brown shorts sometimes smile.png

Is that when you have had a fright?

Yes, that socalled Russian in the youtube vdo who gets wached with a fake gun is really me.