Thai monks rebuked over 'ostentatious' jet ride

Tchooptip

The Buddha spoke Maghadhi, later standardised (together with other local dialects) as Pali, not Sanskrit.

Here are some relevant Pali terms used in the Vinaya, as defined by Bhante Sujato::

Ārāma: originally ‘park’, then ‘monastery’, since parks (like the Jetavana or Veḷuvana) were frequently offered as monasteries.

Āvāsa: ‘residence’. The most common and general term for a place where monastics stay.

Vihāra: ‘dwelling’. A building, usually in an ārāma/āvāsa where monastics dwell.

Vatthu: ‘site’. The piece of land on which a monastery or dwelling is built.

Kuṭi: ‘hut’. A small dwelling.

As Bhante Sujato notes, "There are a large range of other kinds of dwelling specified," all of them more or less equivalent to common connotaions of the English word 'monastery'.

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/who-owns-a-monastery-in-the-pali-vinaya/

Many Buddhists would agree that building and/or supporting a monastery is a good thing. Riding in private jets is another story.

It seems the predominant translation is dwelling for Bikkus/Bikkhunis.

Aren't most Thai Monastery's places of worship and ritual and not dwelling places for Monks?

Doesn't that make them more akin to a church rather than a dwelling place?

My contention has been that if the offerings are spent for churches then it is being misappropriated.

Monasteries have filled many important social roles in Thai history, and still do. To stick to a purely historical definition would deny a lot of children an education for example. Psychiatric care, marital guidance, funeral service and unwanted pet depository are a few more.

There are Wats which fit the definition in the strictest terms, through the entire spectrum down to the cash-for-merit bazzar. Thai Buddhism has expanded from being concerned solely with Nibbana to an integral part of the culture and both have changed because of it. For good and ill.

A monastery may have originally been primarily a dwelling for monks, but vihara and ubosot are both mentioned in the Vinaya. Monks needed a place to recite the Patimokkha and presumably a place to teach the laity. It couldn't be done outside in the rainy season. So I don't see how a monastery can be defined as simply a bunch of kutis or a sleeping hall. The monks did more than just sleep and wander outside.

• Like 1

The people I feel really sorry for, are the poor people, who have collected all this money for the big Jade Buddha. Some of them are extremely upset ---- and I mean extremely upset. It appears half the money is missing.