Gone fishing: Man snags Siamese crocodile at Phuket pond

webfact

Gone fishing: Man snags Siamese crocodile at Phuket pond
Phuket Gazette

croc.jpg
Mr Charee and a friend grabbed the crocodile in the dark, mistaking it for a monitor lizard. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- An elevator technician who went night fishing in central Phuket on Tuesday thought he had caught a monitor lizard.

But when he got to his house, he discovered he had manhandled a meter-long Siamese crocodile and brought it home on his motorbike.

Charee Pattangtanang, 31, went fishing with a friend, Wanchai Hansopa, at their usual spot – a lagoon behind The Valley housing estate in Srisoonthorn, Thalang.

“We saw something moving in a clump of grass, so we hit it with a piece of wood,” Mr Charee said.

“It was dark – we could not see clearly. We thought it was a monitor lizard, so we put it in a bag and took it home on my motorbike,” he explained.

“When we arrived at my home, we called the neighbors to show them what I had caught. That’s when we found out it was a crocodile,” Mr Charee said.

The young crocodile is still at his house, but tied up with rope as a precaution.

“I water it and give it some fish to keep it alive. We will just leave it tied up here for now until the municipality decides where to take it, ” Mr Charee said.

Srisoonthorn Mayor Worawut Songyos said his officers were looking into what to do with the reptile.

“I believe the crocodile was raised by somebody and then released because the owner could not take care of it anymore,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Gone-fishing-Man-snags-Siamese-crocodile-at-Phuket-pond-21391.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-20

Its unlikrly to be a pure Siamese crocodile as they were almost all killed off. More likely to have escaped from one the many crocodile farms.That happens to often when a flood occurs.What is unusual is it wasn't killed immediately.

I dont care how rare it is , this is why I only swim in my rooftop pool in the LOS . I dont like water that I cant see in ! But I have heard alligator is very tasty , I knew a few Cajuns from Louisiana that loved to go out and catch gators and cook em up :) Better you eat the gator than the gator eat you biggrin.png

Its unlikrly to be a pure Siamese crocodile as they were almost all killed off. More likely to have escaped from one the many crocodile farms.That happens to often when a flood occurs.What is unusual is it wasn't killed immediately.

I was going to say that it must surely be on the endangered species list!blink.png

1)"We saw "something" moving in the grass, so we hit it.... " why ?

Doesn't the Buddhist culture teach respect for other living things ?

2) and why would he have wanted to take a Monitor lizard home ? was it to be "lunch" ?

Edited by bumpkin
  • Like 1

1)"We saw "something" moving in the grass, so we hit it.... " why ?

Doesn't the Buddhist culture teach respect for other living things ?

2) and why would he have wanted to take a Monitor lizard home ? was it to be "lunch" ?

Exactly. BS story. A monitor lizard? If it bites you, the bacteria in it's mouth will give you a slow but SURE death. Anyone who is around these nasty bastards wouldn't get anywhere near them! Do Thai's really think we're that gullible? It's an insult to us FARANG!

A monitor lizard? If it bites you, the bacteria in it's mouth will give you a slow but SURE death. Anyone who is around these nasty bastards wouldn't get anywhere near them! Do Thai's really think we're that gullible? It's an insult to us FARANG!

you're thinking of komodo dragons there bud.. (not native to Thailand) and even then, if bitten, get to hospital you WON'T die.

as for monitor lizards... obviously never been to lumpini park, where you can practically almost stroke them... w00t.gif (but don't!)

A monitor lizard? If it bites you, the bacteria in it's mouth will give you a slow but SURE death. Anyone who is around these nasty bastards wouldn't get anywhere near them! Do Thai's really think we're that gullible? It's an insult to us FARANG!

you're thinking of komodo dragons there bud.. (not native to Thailand) and even then, if bitten, get to hospital you WON'T die.

as for monitor lizards... obviously never been to lumpini park, where you can practically almost stroke them... w00t.gif (but don't!)

A komodo dragon is a monitor lizard and actually the monitor lizards in Thailand does have venom. I have seen them in the queens park in Bangkok. Under a building. But thanks for your post .. not really