Big money bribe

invogue

"Invogue" - I can't wait for your next exciting instalement.

Firstly we had the fashion model then the market vendor, then the 'big bribe' and now the 'great escape'.

What next in your FANTASY life in pattaya? Can't wait for the your next thread , maybe it will be about a work permit.

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had a somewhat stressful drive home from Lumpini tonight. Being a Friday night there were cops everywhere trying bust people for drink driving and drugs.

First I saw them from 20 metres away and ducked down a side street. 10 minutes down the road there was another cop randomly pulling over bikes and I got flagged down. I took the advise of someone on TV who suggested I speed off. I was almost home when I saw another cop. I braked to a stop 10 metres away from him, he stared right at me as I did a U-turn in the middle of the road whilst I held up several cars who had to stop behind me. I was on Sukhumvit Rd with a concrete fence stopping me from crossing over, so I had to hit the footpath and drive for 50 metres before turning down a soi. I was worried the cop had put a broadcast over the police radio to look out for a falang girl in a cocktail dress and heels, so I drove down every back soi to get home.

It was the point where I nearly got run over when I stopped in the middle of the road and sped along a footpath to get away from the police that I had a moment of realisation. Can't I pay to get a fake licence from somewhere? Please PM me if you might know someone/something.

Exciting story rolleyes.gif

Just so you don't give people ideas, this would a pretty idiotic thing to do, risking life and limb to avoid a few hundred baht fine.

As you point out it would be much more expensive to have to get out of a fake documents charge than just not having a licence.

never carry your passport

This is counter intuitive but it is still very good advice. Carrying a passport only gives another party leverage to use against you. Carry a photocopy of your photo page and visa stamp if you want but personally, I don't even do that.

Then you'll end up having to invite the BiB into your home when you're required to produce the original, or if that's not convenient they can always drop you back at the station while you have a friend bring it down.

Better to have the copy on you, in general giving bureaucrats the paper they're expecting is the path of least resistance, recipe for smooth living in the LoS.

That's too time consuming when all they're after is a little pocket money. The more you give, the more they take. Anyway, I have a valid driver's license.

Edited by lannarebirth

That's too time consuming when all they're after is a little pocket money. The more you give, the more they take. Anyway, I have a valid driver's license.

-

There are times when they want to actually verify your immigration status. During office hours they can call in for the information based on just your name, but after hours they'll want to actually see the stamps. I see it as giving them an excuse to check out your home, basically inviting them in when they had no reason to do so before.

Once in a while you do get an honest one believe it or not, and if you start offering bribery money as a response to his perfectly legal request it's likely to raise red flags, as opposed to simply showing him your photocopy - which after all isn't hard or "time consuming" to create or carry.

Edited by boosta

-

There are times when they want to actually verify your immigration status. During office hours they can call in for the information based on just your name, but after hours they'll want to actually see the stamps. I see it as giving them an excuse to check out your home, basically inviting them in when they had no reason to do so before.

Once in a while you do get an honest one believe it or not, and if you start offering bribery money as a response to his perfectly legal request it's likely to raise red flags, as opposed to simply showing him your photocopy - which after all isn't hard or "time consuming" to create or carry.

Yup, seen that. I was the only passenger in a truck with a good friend driving, a retired NYPD vice cop. They pulled us over and went through all his papers, passport, visa . . . the lot.

To me they just said 'Hello falang!"

There's just no consistency.

Are you trying to say that the fact that he's an ex-NY vice cop means he's less likely to be a crim?

I wouldn't take it that way at all, quite possible he was right at the top of some watchlist. . .

Not like Thailand's got he monopoly on corruption you know, NYPD's maybe not quite as bad as LAPD, Miami or Chicago but. . .

Edited by boosta

Are you trying to say that the fact that he's an ex-NY vice cop means he's less likely to be a crim?

I wouldn't take it that way at all, quite possible he was right at the top of some watchlist. . .

Not like Thailand's got he monopoly on corruption you know, NYPD's maybe not quite as bad as LAPD, Miami or Chicago but. . .

No, but this is likely the least criminally minded person you could meet. Just that they checked all his papers and visa but none of mine.

Actually its probably more serious to be caught with fake ID than to have no licence?

No worries. Since this is an obvious wind-up I suggest that if you and your girlfriend were already at the hotel a simple short-time roll in the hay would have satisfied the cop and you'd still have the 3000 baht cheesy.gif

Although they cover both in theory, NYPD Vice is a lot more concerned with drugs than prostitution believe me. Unless they want to get a governor out. . .

Edit - gambling too

Edited by boosta

jesus, are you people immune to irony?

read some of the responses to danish man robbed in pattaya and see if my post rings any bells.

god save me from the obtuse and literal minded.

perhaps an idiotic smiley would have helped you along

This is a virtual forum...can't tell if you are an idiot smiler or not....

• Like 1

I'd like to put in a request for a sequence where she rescues children beggar slaves from their BiB owners.

Maybe she will have a great rent scam story...have not had one of those in a while....unless YOU are Invogue as well...

Why was your friend so eager to pay would be a better question.

i'll bet the 'friend' is in league with the police.

they have probably been planning .the heist for months.

this was far too well executed to be coincidence or bad luck.

And, if you dont mind my asking, what was your friend doing in an alleyway with such a vast sum of cash?

rings a few alarm bells to anyone who has been around the block like me.

Yah I thought you were being straight as well, silly me I thought you were just an idiot.

Although they cover both in theory, NYPD Vice is a lot more concerned with drugs than prostitution believe me. Unless they want to get a governor out. . .

Edit - gambling too

1970's Little Italy. Some hysterical stories.

You have a very steap learning-curve ahead of you, if you are going to enjoy your time here!whistling.gif

What you and your friend did, was just plain stupid!

Nope I wouldn't have handed over 3000 baht. My friend did without my agreeing.

Yes I did meet him at the hotel as I presummed I could pay him a less than 500 baht bribe and be on my way.

Well maybe your friend knows more than you do, Perhaps your friend is aware of the BIB in that particular 'zone' and knows not to challenge them?

On the other hand, perhaps your friend doesn't want to get entangled in any negotiations for his / her own reasons?

200 in BKK 50-100 in a rural province.

Don't think many would accept 50 baht anymore, maybe several years ago.

In my experience i have found rural BIB pretty friendly, most like a quick chat with a random farang to be nosey, often the fine or bribe is not wanted.

Last time I got stopped for no helmet was in Chiang Mai,I went up to the Police Station to pay my fine.The World Cup was on and they were far more bothered,me being English,with who was going to win the World Cup.Germany had just beaten England 4-1 and the Argies 4-0,so they were all convinced it was going to be them!

I told them I couldn't possibly say Germany and that I thought Spain were going to win it,I wonder if any of them took my advice and won some money?Anyway,eventually paid my 200 baht and left,I could probably have walked out without paying it and just skewered my ticket on the spike on the desk!