letter from immigration confirming my address

Hello, I am just gathering some information, I will need to open a bank account etc when I arrive in Phuket, I have read that for most things, bank, buying bike you need a letter from immigration confirming your address, a lease or rental agreement have to be shown, can anyone tell me is a minimum length of time required on the agreements?

I think when I first arrive I wanted to only stay somewhere a month or two while sorting out a place for a year but wanted to open a bank account straight away.

Thanks

UK

Non B Visa

I just opened a Kasikorn account with just passport. No problem. Had to write down my address on a piece of paper. All the works such as ATM, online banking and virtual credit card for safe online shopping.

Siam commercial requires a 1 year extension nowadays (or the immigration letter).

Bkk Bank also easy, but unless you have a long term visa (1 year extension) they will not give internet banking.

• Like 1

You only need a letter from Immigration if you want to purchase a bike or car. Not required for a bank account. For opening a bank account there are some banks that are easier than others, but most will open an account with just a tourist visa and a receipt from wherever you are staying

If one bank won't open an account for you , just walk down the road and try another one

Bangkok Bank will give you Internet banking, you just have to force them to call Bangkok and obtain the correct information regarding the work permit requirement which is no longer required but the word has not gotten to some of the branches

• Like 1

You only need a letter from Immigration if you want to purchase a bike or car. Not required for a bank account. For opening a bank account there are some banks that are easier than others, but most will open an account with just a tourist visa and a receipt from wherever you are staying

If one bank won't open an account for you , just walk down the road and try another one

Bangkok Bank will give you Internet banking, you just have to force them to call Bangkok and obtain the correct information regarding the work permit requirement which is no longer required but the word has not gotten to some of the branches

Sorry, was a bit wrong on Bangkok bank, they do not require a 1 year visa per se, but do require at least a non immigrant type visa.

Along with needing to call head office for some assistance, as most branches, when opening an account, will flag you as a tourist unless you have a 1 year extension AND points it out to them!

They will absolutely NOT allow internet banking when on a tourist visa.

For more info see this post by one of our members who works as a VP with Bangkok Bank, and is an excellent resource and great help for any matters you might have with Bkk Bank!

Sorry, was a bit wrong on Bangkok bank, they do not require a 1 year visa per se, but do require at least a non immigrant type visa.

Along with needing to call head office for some assistance, as most branches, when opening an account, will flag you as a tourist unless you have a 1 year extension AND points it out to them!

For more info see this post by one of our members who works as a VP with Bangkok Bank, and is an excellent resource and great help for any matters you might have with Bkk Bank!

This info contradicts info on on website.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

Click on documents required on this webpage: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

When I opened a bank a/c in Thailand (some years ago now !) all the bank staff required was my passport (containing, at the time , a valid "O" visa), a second form of ID and proof of address. The whole process was very easy and took no more than 15-20 minutes.

When I opened my bank account with Bangkok Bank, many years ago, they took my passport and made a photo copy of my Uganda visa.

It had long expired but they asked me to sign it, which I did and the rest was easy.

Which is strange as they have an an account application form labelled "Tourist account application"

What I said!

Bkk Bank will open a savings account for tourists and they will give you a be1st atm card (visa).

However, you will not be able to get internet banking.

Trying to activate ibanking (online or on atm) will give.you somewhere an error message saying "information not complete".

You will not get past this message until somebody at Bkk bank upgrades your account from tourist to resident.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What I said!

Bkk Bank will open a savings account for tourists and they will give you a be1st atm card (visa).

However, you will not be able to get internet banking.

Trying to activate ibanking (online or on atm) will give.you somewhere an error message saying "information not complete".

You will not get past this message until somebody at Bkk bank upgrades your account from tourist to resident.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, they update a code on your application which indicates to their computers that you provided the correct documentation for the account. This is the step that trips most people up since it has to be done by the branch that took and processed your application. Has nothing to do with tourist or resident, has to do with whether or not you have a a work permit (which is not required but will prevent you from obtaining online banking because Bangkok Bank cannot or will not update their software). You will have the same coding problem if you try and increase your ATM and transfer daily limit until your account is coded properly. Which can only be initiated by the branch which took your application

This info contradicts info on on website.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

Click on documents required on this webpage: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

I have read the link too thanks, never seen before, I really want the net access, got a little worried about the atm scammers but been reading a lot of people have a couple accounts and transfer sums across, I will attempt to look at the bank sites later today.

Just to let you know from my personal experience:

On a 30 day visa exempt entry, I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank at their main Silom branch in Bangkok in September 2012.

I was given the savings passbook and the Be1st ATM/Visa card. I was not allowed internet banking.

In January 2013 I entered with a 3 month Non-Imm O Visa. I was not allowed internet banking.

In April 2013 I obtained a one-year Non-Imm O Visa, reporting every 90 days, and I now have internet banking!

Once you fill out the paperwork, it takes them about a week to sms or email you your login i.d. and they mail you the password by post.

Further....in 2011, my teenage son came to Bangkok with a one year Non-ED Visa. He opened a bank account with Siam Commercial Bank and was given internet banking straight away. At that same time I was in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exempt and SCB would not allow me to even open an account.

Hope this helps.....

Edited by djhotsox

I think K-Bank give you the full works - ATM card, Internet banking and virtual card for online transactions without any long term visa or residency letter. They are also in my experience a decent bank. Even in the provincial branch I use they have some staff with a little English and all staff are helpful and courteous and I've had the same visiting their branches elsewhere.

I think K-Bank give you the full works - ATM card, Internet banking and virtual card for online transactions without any long term visa or residency letter. They are also in my experience a decent bank. Even in the provincial branch I use they have some staff with a little English and all staff are helpful and courteous and I've had the same visiting their branches elsewhere.

K Bank by far the easiest.

Just to let you know from my personal experience:

On a 30 day visa exempt entry, I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank at their main Silom branch in Bangkok in September 2012.

I was given the savings passbook and the Be1st ATM/Visa card. I was not allowed internet banking.

In January 2013 I entered with a 3 month Non-Imm O Visa. I was not allowed internet banking.

In April 2013 I obtained a one-year Non-Imm O Visa, reporting every 90 days, and I now have internet banking!

Once you fill out the paperwork, it takes them about a week to sms or email you your login i.d. and they mail you the password by post.

Further....in 2011, my teenage son came to Bangkok with a one year Non-ED Visa. He opened a bank account with Siam Commercial Bank and was given internet banking straight away. At that same time I was in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exempt and SCB would not allow me to even open an account.

Hope this helps.....

I was able to sign up for internet banking at both KB and BB with a savings acc I got on a 90 visa. At BB signed up at atm. Just needed a local phone# and address on file for them to send username and password. If I remember you can even have them send the password to your bank branch and pick it up with ID to complete sign up.