Farming Greenhorns - Tips for Surviving the Early Years

David48

I am new to this forum, but plan to give 'farming' a go when I semi-retire to my wife's village in coastal Songkhla, where she has a small plot of what appears (to me anyway) to be arable land.

I have 25 years of experience of living and working in Thailand and am fluent in the language, but no background in gardening or farming whatsoever.

I really just want to keep busy and would like to grow the things I like and consume a lot of: coffee beans, durien, Thai pumpkin...I think it is probably too late/impractical for me to have any ambitions to produce cash crops -- I just want to be self-sufficient in crops that are the easiest to grow: I just don't know what they are.

A lot of people in her area also raise oxen, and I am kind of interested in doing that too...but that might be too much of a time commitment -- I simply don't know what it entails because, once again, this is another area I have no expertise in whatsoever.

Anyway, any advice to this greenhorn would be most appreciated.

Mate you'll be alright, you speak the language, you've been here a long time. But I personally am not a big fan of durian as it made me quite ill one rare night drinking a bit of whisky with it. But it will take a few years to grow trees and fruit. What do other farmers grow in the area. You'll have plenty of time while they are growing to research techniques. If you do it properly you will get more than enough fruit for yourself all at once so a bit of pocket cash anyway. I don't know about coffee but veggies will be OK, you may need water though if it doesn't rain, they will keep you busy while you wait for the king of fruit. PS up here in Chantaburi now there is durian coming out of our earholes but I don't grow it.

Thanks David...there seems to be a surfeit of durian here in Phuket too. I have to add for the record that I once won a bet by downing a huge monthong durien and a bottle of Black Label...and I actually felt fine the next day. I think that threat is overrated...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For newbies take the time to read snip>

+1 ... I've ran out of likes for the moment.

Agreeing with the thrust of what you have written above ... thumbsup.gif

Just one point for discussion from my perspective ... renting the Farmland.

The Farm father rents ALL his ponds.

But that is a situation that works for him personally because he rents from relatives who live or work away from the Farm.

That said, the Farm house is one the one land owned by the Parents.

My point about sometimes renting is that what happens in the situation where the Farm Enterprise has failed to make a profit and what is left after a few years is a land holding in your (usually) wife's name of which you have no control ... but a lot of sunk capital.

But I don't wish to get carried away with the 'renting' bit ... just an option for some, but not many or all.

@ cornishcarlos ... I'm sure the a wayward python or trouser snake has been the undoing of more then one Farmer ... w00t.gif

Lol.. the wayward python, how I wish I read this advice earlier. Now I have a half grown rubber plantation and am looking at pig farming in Loei - is it going to be too cold in winter?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For newbies take the time to read snip>

+1 ... I've ran out of likes for the moment.

Agreeing with the thrust of what you have written above ... alt=thumbsup.gif>

Just one point for discussion from my perspective ... renting the Farmland.

The Farm father rents ALL his ponds.

But that is a situation that works for him personally because he rents from relatives who live or work away from the Farm.

That said, the Farm house is one the one land owned by the Parents.

My point about sometimes renting is that what happens in the situation where the Farm Enterprise has failed to make a profit and what is left after a few years is a land holding in your (usually) wife's name of which you have no control ... but a lot of sunk capital.

But I don't wish to get carried away with the 'renting' bit ... just an option for some, but not many or all.

@ cornishcarlos ... I'm sure the a wayward python or trouser snake has been the undoing of more then one Farmer ... alt=w00t.gif>

Lol.. the wayward python, how I wish I read this advice earlier. Now I have a half grown rubber plantation and am looking at pig farming in Loei - is it going to be too cold in winter?

If you have land @ altitude in Loei Province there are some very profitable Herbs that can be grown.

I could probably write a book on things not to do facepalm.gif

Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear to Tread)

At the moment I settle for a few salient points ... maybe your top 1 or 2 ... thumbsup.gif

Don't have children until you have established your business and it provides a postive cashflow.