Jet-setting Thai monk to explain himself

webfact

SANGHA
Jet-setting monk to explain himself

Wisit Chuanpipatpong
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Luang Pu Nenkham, who has recently been at the centre of a lot of negative publicity, is getting ready to clarify his position on Sunday, the National Buddhism Office's director Nopparat Benjawatananun said yesterday.

"He will hold a press conference and I will be there to listen," he added.

Luang Pu Nenkham landed in hot water after a video clip of him on board a private jet, sporting brand-name sunglasses and a Louis Vuitton bag went viral. More questions arose when a photograph of him lying next to a woman started doing the rounds on the Internet.

In addition, an activist lodged a complaint with the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) against the monk yesterday.

"I think his behaviour goes against the rules and beliefs of Buddhism," said Songkran Achariyasap, who chairs a network that monitors activities considered detrimental to national agenda, religion or monarchy.

Songkran, armed with documents and photographs, met CSD deputy commander Colonel Prasopchoke Prommoon yesterday. The CSD has agreed to investigate his claims.

"I have already assigned investigators to launch a probe. I will release the probe results at a later date," Prasopchoke said.

Songkran wants the division to investigate the case on 13 fronts, including Luang Pu Nenkham's status as a monk; his assets and the assets of those close to him; his donation campaigns; as well as his relationship with the woman seen lying next to him in the photo.

The activist also urged the CSD to check the background of people working for Khantitham Khao Na Co Ltd, a company linked to Wat Pa Khantitham, where Luang Pu Nenkham allegedly serves as abbot.

The temple is located on a plot donated by Lon Manas, who now wants it back. The 68-year-old donor said she had given the land to the monk in the hope that he would build a proper temple.

"More than 10 years have passed and he has still failed to construct a temple," she said.

Lon added that when she asked Luang Pu Nenkham about what had happened, he told her that if Wat Pa Khantitham gets registered as a temple, he would be subject to all kinds of scrutiny and so had decided against it.

"So, I will try to take the land back and ask other monks to help set up a temple instead," she said.

Nopparat said Lon had the right to lodge a complaint and hand the land over to other monks.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-22

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supporters of Controversial Monk Defend His Luxurious Lifestyle

mo.jpg
Photo: KHAOSOD English

BANGKOK: -- Spiritual followers of a controversial monk defend his lavish lifestyle which hit headlines around the world, even as torrents of public criticism continue to mount against him.

Luang Puu (Elder/Grandfather Monk) Nen Kam Chattigo, whose temple is based in Sisaket province, was seen on various images and videos riding a camel in his trip to Egypt, showing off a Mercedes Benz, smiling from his seat in a helicopter, and relaxing with an iPhone and Luis Vuitton bag on his private jet plane.

But the image which seems to touch off the nerve of the public the most is the one that appears to show Luang Nen Kam sleeping next to a girl. Both were presumed to be naked. The Office of National Buddhism has previously called for investigation into the matters, calling his actions damaging to the faith of Buddhists, since Buddhist monks were supposed to lead a humble life.

Although his title suggests that he is an aged monk, Luang Nen Kam is believed to be in his late 30s. His followers said that the title of Luang Pu denotes the years he had lived in his previous lives.

The monk himself has not spoken to the public since the issue surfaced. His temple staff said he′s currently on a trip in Europe and will be back in Thailand "soon". It is not clear which country he is traveling at the moment.

In the meantime, his spiritual supporters - which are believe to be numerous and include many influential businessmen and bureaucrats - are rallying behind him. Yesterday (20 June) a group of such supporters, led by Mr. Pattaradech Sopanpanich, hosted a press conference in Nonthaburi province to tell their side of the story. The conference was attended by more than 100 followers of Luang Pu Nen Kam.

Mr. Pattaradech said that the media attack on Luang Pu is "unfair", saying that he did not own or buy any such luxury. The helicopter and jet plane rides, he said, were paid for by the monk′s followers who want to offer convenient and fast means of travel for Luang Pu. As for Luis Vuitton bag, Mr. Pattaradech said they were all donated to him by the templegoers.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01UZ3hOek13TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-22

• Like 2

The head of my local temple here in Dallas has been a monk since age 12. When I mentioned this story to him, he smiled, said he was aware of the story, and said that he had just got back from a Buddhist meeting in Raleigh NC traveling both ways by car. That's 18 hours each way. He's 62 years old, Not all monks are corrupt but too many are.

• Like 1

In contrast...this is WAY BETTER than finding out another kid was molested by a Priest.

. . . and to think that Bush invaded Iraq, Stalin sent million to the gulags, Pol Pot murdered millions . . . you're right. This is WAY BETTER

What's astonishing is that anyone, Thai or foreign, would not suspect, by default, that these "religious leaders" are anything but corrupt. We are in Thailand, after all.

Indeed, indeed . . . donning a few robes doesn't change the person's mentality

• Like 1

Well there is no getting around it. He definatly has many more benefits than the ordinary monk.

But is that not common for Monks who are held in high esteem?

To be given presents and perks that most Monks do not get?

Got to admit that his refusal to have his temple registered as a temple looks mighty suspicious.

Defiantly a lot of circumstantial evidence against him.

Will prove interesting to hear his explanations. Having wealthy backers will certainly be brought up as a defense.

Has any one seen the picture of him laying next to a women? Are they in bed? did he have his robes on?

As for the monk driving 18 hours in the states well fear of flying is not uncommon.

I know that the Buddha preached to not be attached to things but that is not saying don't own things.

I forget the name of the former Prime Minister who became a monk after attaining his Monk status he left the Monk's was he broke and homeless because he had given all his homes and money away?

In contrast...this is WAY BETTER than finding out another kid was molested by a Priest.

. . . and to think that Bush invaded Iraq, Stalin sent million to the gulags, Pol Pot murdered millions . . . you're right. This is WAY BETTER

What's astonishing is that anyone, Thai or foreign, would not suspect, by default, that these "religious leaders" are anything but corrupt. We are in Thailand, after all.

"What's astonishing is that anyone, Thai or foreign, would not suspect, by default, that these "religious leaders" are anything but corrupt. We are in Thailand, after all."

Is that why some people come to Thailand?

I think that pretty much nails it. Clearly corruption here, the national past time, would apply across the board. I recall a few years ago there was a huge fight at one of the temples up north. Turned out to be about control over the money flow. As my signature says below, to clarify Thai issues, just follow the money....... I was at Tukcom yesterday, and walked by two monks in robes who were carefully examining an Iphone 4s for purchase. I broke into a smile.....

• Like 2

.....it would seem that..........to remind him of his vow.......all his assets should be seized......given away to the poor and auctioned off......

....then he should be defrocked.....

.....this austere pretense to gain advantage should be 'checked'......if he wants to 'wheel and deal'.....don't hide behind an amber robe....

....for advantage....

....maybe his 'sources' should be investigated too......

• Like 2

"What's astonishing is that anyone, Thai or foreign, would not suspect, by default, that these "religious leaders" are anything but corrupt. We are in Thailand, after all."

Is that why some people come to Thailand?

Why would the fact that religious leaders are corrupt be a reason for people coming to Thailand?

As for the Louis Vuitton bag and designer sunglasses...

Buddhist Monastic Code I: Chapter 8.9

84.Should any bhikkhu pick up or have (someone) pick up a valuable or what is considered a valuable, except in a monastery or in a dwelling, it is to be confessed. But when a bhikkhu has picked up or had (someone) pick up a valuable or what is considered a valuable (left) in a monastery or in a dwelling, he is to keep it, (thinking,) "Whoever it belongs to will (come and) fetch it." This is the proper course here.

So unless the bag and sunglasses belonged to someone else, he's guilty as sin.

They are pedantic buggers though,

87. When a bhikkhu is having a new bed or bench made, it is to have legs (at most) eight fingerbreadths long — using sugata fingerbreadths — not counting the lower edge of the frame. In excess of that it is to be cut down and confessed.

Edited by Fullstop

VIDEO REPORT: Officials confirm high-flying monk not on Buddhist business
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- If renowned monk Luang Pu Nenkham is in Phuket, it is not on temple business, the Phuket Gazette confirmed yesterday.

Luang Pu Nenkham is wanted for questioning after being filmed on board a private jet while sporting brand-name sunglasses and a Louis Vuitton bag.

Chatpawit Jinapong, Director of the Phuket branch of the National Office of Buddhism, told the Gazette that he must be notified of any high-ranking monks visiting the island.

“I must be informed of any high-ranking or well-known monks coming to Phuket… Unless they come on private business,” said Mr Chatpawit.

“I know Luang Pu Nenkham. He is famous, as we have seen in the Thai media recently. I have heard that he has a lot of wealthy followers. Nonetheless, I have yet to be informed of him coming to Phuket,” he said.

Officials at Phuket International Airport said they could not confirm whether or not Luang Pu Nenkham was on the island.

“We can confirm which aircraft, including private jets, have landed on and departed from Phuket, but we cannot release the names of any people on the flight manifests,” one officer said.

Followers of Luang Pu Nenkham denied on Thursday all allegations against their revered spiritual leader, including a picture allegedly showing him lying next to a woman.

“The picture is doctored,” said disciple Pattaradej Sopongpanich, who also countered that there was nothing wrong with Luang Pu Nenkham riding in a private jet, given that someone else had arranged the trip for him.

“He was invited to carry out rites in Phuket, that’s why he was on the jet,” said Mr Pattaradej.

Luang Pu Nenkham had the expensive Louis Vuitton bag, said Mr Pattaradej, because followers had given it to him.

Commenting on the huge donations Luang Pu Nenkham had received, Mr Pattaradej said the board of Wat Pa Khantitham, where the monk serves as abbot, had kept records of all the donations and how they had been put to use.

“The donations are used for good causes, like helping people in need,” he said.

Nonetheless, Si Sa Ket Buddhism Office’s director Virod Chaiyaphannana said he was verbally instructed to investigate all financial transactions to and from Wat Pa Khantitham.

“I will see what can be done in line with the law,” he said.

Additional reporting by The Nation

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/VIDEO-REPORT-Officials-confirm-high-flying-monk-not-on-Buddhist-business-21406.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-22