What are the things that annoy you about living in Thailand?

dogpoo

Useless Farang who contribute absolutely nothing to society or the community. These types are the most likely to demonstrate a lack of integrity, low morals and perhaps veer towards petty criminal activity. They have done little in terms of achievement in life and arrive in Thai with little or no money intent of having a great time perhaps at the expense of others. My father always taught me there are 'givers' and 'takers' in this life. Well the 'takers' here splash the tar all around. If you are unfortunate enough to be co-located with such you have two choices, either put up with it, or you move on and start again. One thing is certain you will always be judged by the company you keep.

///Can you define, "contribute absolutely nothing to society or the community?"

The majority of expats do not work, therefore do not pay tax, and you need a work permit to do volunteer work here.

Just by my presence here, I am contributing to the local economy, and through visas, exit taxes and paying VAT, I contibute to the Thai economy. I suppose I am creating employment, on a small scale.

I don't think I contribute to society or the community, but, I'm certainly not one of the people you describe.

How do you contribute to society and the community? ///

I can see how my generalization was perhaps unfair, for which I apologize.

A fair contribution to society might be to act with integrity and respect, treat those how you hope to be treated yourself, and don't be a drunk 7 days a week. I think its pretty clear what am getting at; just check out the 'farang' hot spots and you can see + the rural idiots who believe they are something special.

And for the community give freely to charity or the temple..... the amount does not matter. Observe where a couple of thousand baht might make a huge difference to a neighboring family - perhaps during an illness or a bereavement. This make up for the tax you don't pay..... perhaps.

Edited by iancnx

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Useless Farang who contribute absolutely nothing to society or the community. These types are the most likely to demonstrate a lack of integrity, low morals and perhaps veer towards petty criminal activity. They have done little in terms of achievement in life and arrive in Thai with little or no money intent of having a great time perhaps at the expense of others. My father always taught me there are 'givers' and 'takers' in this life. Well the 'takers' here splash the tar all around. If you are unfortunate enough to be co-located with such you have two choices, either put up with it, or you move on and start again. One thing is certain you will always be judged by the company you keep.

The majority of expats do not work, therefore do not pay tax, and you need a work permit to do volunteer work here.

Just by my presence here, I am contributing to the local economy, and through visas, exit taxes and paying VAT, I contibute to the Thai economy. I suppose I am creating employment, on a small scale.

I don't think I contribute to society or the community, but, I'm certainly not one of the people you describe.

A fair contribution to society might be to act with integrity and respect, treat those how you hope to be treated yourself, and don't be a drunk 7 days a week. I think its pretty clear what am getting at; just check out the 'farang' hot spots and you can see + the rural idiots who believe they are something special.

And for the community give freely to charity or the temple..... the amount does not matter. Observe where a couple of thousand baht might make a huge difference to a neighboring family - perhaps during an illness or a bereavement. This make up for the tax you don't pay..... perhaps.

Ok. I'll accept your description of "contributing to society" as an expat. I would like to think I meet that criteria.

How many Thai's here, in their own country, do you think "contribute to society?"

Edited by NamKangMan

Ok. I'll accept your description of "contributing to society" as an expat. I would like to think I meet that criteria.

How many Thai's here, in their own country, do you think "contribute to society?"

Few and far between, I know, but they are there. Some really really good people who are not motivated by greed or money.... in my experience the more Buddhist of the community if that makes sense.

Given we are 20 or 30 years ahead of them (compared to life in NYC or London, or Paris or Berlin), we perhaps should try and lead the way if we can, just in the tiniest ways, and hope our examples brush off!

Yes, local time management 'skills' can be annoying.

I have a few more to add:

1. The almost complete inability of most locals to read maps.

2. The Thai postal system method of assigning street addresses.

3. Double-parking on busy streets (this seems to be getting worse, especially in Phuket)

4. Failure of parties in minor vehicle accicents to clear their cars from the road so that other drivers can pass. (see Photo)

post-40708-0-12709900-1372136476_thumb.j

Regarding number 4.

It is illegal to move any vehicle from it's final position after an accident until the investigating police officer says it can be moved. This applies to motorbikes, too.

I have heard that, but it is a retarded regulation that needs to changed for minor accidents, at least in Phuket. If there is a fender-bender on Mt Mayhem, for example, it can effectively cause tailbacks from Kathu all the way to Patong for well over an hour. Anyway, that probably won't be an issue after the road collapses, which appears inevitable.

The whinging "pommies" (Brits) who complain about everything and compare everything with their home country

Australians always complaining about "whinging pommies" chip on shoulders or what smile.png

I'm not Australian . But when I was there I saw them whinging away, just as theyt do here

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

One thing that annoys me about living in Thailand is that living in Phuket is so much different to living in Thailand. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

That's the best thing about it tongue.png

Why then, are all the western tourists and expats moving out of Phuket, to go to Thailand? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

One thing that annoys me about living in Thailand is that living in Phuket is so much different to living in Thailand. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

That's the best thing about it tongue.png

Why then, are all the western tourists and expats moving out of Phuket, to go to Thailand? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

All? Western tourists are not coming to Thailand as a whole in the same numbers. Some figures were posted on another thread somewhere that showed that total number of visitors to Thailand from Finland (I think) was down quite sharply and Phuket very marginally less so. I suspect that is the case from many Western countries for economic reasons.

A few expats that can no longer afford to live in Phuket are leaving as are a few that are looking for something a bit different. Plenty are staying (whether they want to or not!) and there will always be a few new ones coming in to replace those departing.

Phuket and Bangkok are in my book relatively ok places to live and the only 2 places I would consider living in Thailand at this time. There are many other places I would much rather live but none of them are in Thailand and for the next 18 months at least I am committed to being here.

ATM machines which reboot during transaction due problem with Windows XP.. and eat the ATM card while this happen.

Banks which require customers to show bankbook to get a new debit card.

ATM machines which reboot during transaction due problem with Windows XP.. and eat the ATM card while this happen.

Really - I have never ever had an ATM reboot during many hundreds of ATM withdrawals.

And what is the big deal of showing your bank book to prove your credentials.

Really - I have never ever had an ATM reboot during many hundreds of ATM withdrawals.

This just happened on Friday to me. I was going somewhere and needed cash. While doing an transaction, the ATM got an error, rebooted and ate my card.

After this I had to go back to home to get my bankbook so that I could get a new card. Took an while to find the book as I have not used it for years.

Basically I don't understand the need of the bankbook at all. Those does not belong to this millennium. At least Krungsri bank don't have an option to have an account without the book. Does other have this option?

On the upside, while riding to Thalang Tesco, I found couple of new roads and locations, which was nice.

This has never happened to me, although I have seen some reboot or "crash" screens on ATMs.

Surely they would require more identification than just your bankbook. At least your passport should have to be required. I rarely update my bankbook. With internet banking, the bankbook is pretty much redundant.

What are the things that annoy you about living in Thailand

Above the law Thai Police-man getting away with Murder!!

Yes, that was a disgrace.

As stated before, same guy, same crime, but different province, the case would probably have a lot different result.

This is why Phuket has/will have a big crime problem. You can do anything you want here, and if you get caught, just pay your way out of the judicial system.

This has never happened to me, although I have seen some reboot or "crash" screens on ATMs.

Surely they would require more identification than just your bankbook. At least your passport should have to be required. I rarely update my bankbook. With internet banking, the bankbook is pretty much redundant.

I'm not sure anymore, but I think back in home we stopped using bankbooks in 1980's. At least that paper had no other meaning than keep records for the customer.

The bank also wanted to see my passport and took an copy of it, which is correct way to do. They also checked my signature.

This was an rant, not something I would go to protest in the front of the bank with sign "burn down the banks" :)

What really annoys me is getting a new bank book when the old one is full. It's really just the same procedure as applying for a new account. We have a joint account and we both have go to the bank to sign the papers and each provide ID paperwork.

What really annoys me is getting a new bank book when the old one is full. It's really just the same procedure as applying for a new account. We have a joint account and we both have go to the bank to sign the papers and each provide ID paperwork.

Last trip i lost my Joint account atm card and could not get another card unless other joint peson was with me at the bank....

What happens if i am out of Thailand and she looses her card???....

so we opened another account just in her name that now i can transfer funds via internet to it...just in case....thats another useless bank account i have geez

I'm not sure anymore, but I think back in home we stopped using bankbooks in 1980's. At least that paper had no other meaning than keep records for the customer.

The bank also wanted to see my passport and took an copy of it, which is correct way to do. They also checked my signature.

This was an rant, not something I would go to protest in the front of the bank with sign "burn down the banks" smile.png

My understanding was the bankbook was a hardcopy financial record for the account holder, because the bank was not posting statments back then.

I don't get statements posted to me here, so, maybe they are using the bankbooks in a similar fashion to the old ways of the west.

That said, both the bankbook and paper statements are redundant now, due to internet banking.

plastic bags. if Thailand is truly the hub of anything, its over bagging in 7/11, the markets, everywhere. i say put a 1 bhat tax on each plastic bag, the government will make billions and the streets will be clean of plastic bags in a week.

and straws...

The 10 year old on a motorbike, that cut me off, and then ran a red light....with his 4 year old sister on the back.

Is that the 10 year old that crashes into you and dies, and then you have to pay millions to get out of gaol? smile.pngsmile.png

Could be. But, that’s why I have a dash cam.biggrin.png

The 10 year old on a motorbike, that cut me off, and then ran a red light....with his 4 year old sister on the back.

Is that the 10 year old that crashes into you and dies, and then you have to pay millions to get out of gaol? smile.pngsmile.png

Better get a rear window cam as well. They crash into the back of you and it's still your fault here. :) :) :) :)

Better get a rear window cam as well. They crash into the back of you and it's still your fault here. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

It is front, and rear.