Good bye Pattaya

whatchamacallit

I feel your "pain". I am sick of the traffic and overcrowding too. I wish Pattaya would return to the way it was 5-10 years ago but that is probably not going to happen again in our lifetimes.

That being said, I would rather not return to the US. I STILL DO NOT miss the winters there even though I've never seen a snowflake in 5 years.

• Like 2

You've seen sense and left that 5h1th0l3, good on you.

There's a life outside of Pattaya but many a(n) idiot may not realise it. Good luck on your adventures and may the sun always shine on your face.

• Like 1

I first went there in 1974, it sure isn't the same place any more, couldn't live there myself, sure many love it, I always say that the best thing about Pattaya is the what you see in your rear view mirror when you are leaving. Perhaps it's my age !!!!!?????

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

Have a nice trip.

As you said, too many people here :-)

What I do not get is why people move so far when moving just 30 kms from Pattaya can make you feel like you are living in a private beach resort...

This is true. Living in Pattaya City simply isn't for everyone and it has turned for the worse, no doubt about it. Moving just a little outside, or even to another city makes all the difference in the world.

I honestly don't know how guys can live inside the city these days unless they are parked on a bar stool all day and night. I would have to be drunk all the time to deal with the influx of "high class tourists" and tour buses.

• Like 1

There is a difference between visiting Pattaya as a tourist and trying to live there as an ex-pat.

The 2 - 4 week tourist sees only the bright lights, the smiling faces, the thrill of the attention given by the girls, the cheap markets, the large choice of entertainment venues and restaurants etc.

The ex-pat sees Pattaya for what it really is. A nice seaside location spoiled by very grotty looking night time areas. (A critical day time stroll along Walking Street will identify all its warts and blemishes.) The rip off merchants, the jet boat scams, the reality of the female attention, the constant need to live within budget, the problems caused by alcohol fuelled violence, the traffic problems etc.

To live happily in Pattaya, one needs to be able to identify the reality from the fantasy. You need to live modestly and not as a tourist. Those things are easier said than done, so I really admire those ex-pats who have made the transformation and are content to call Pattaya home.

Just in case some of you are wondering, this post is not a Pattaya bash. I love the place and Pattaya will always be part of my life.....as a tourist, never as an ex-pat.

• Like 1

must be the 7 year itch kickin in... anywhere becomes normal after a certain amount of time...

a change is as good as a rest... or so they say...

I`m an Isaan resident... we go to beach resorts (in thailand) for our holidays... its always new again and fun... Its probably the best way to still enjoy places like pattaya or phuket... or wherever...

good luck

Edited by kristophon
  • Like 1

I, more than most, know the real history of Pattaya. I was in the US Army stationed in Sattahip in 1968 and 1969. I used to travel to Pattaya on my off time and it was nothing more at that time then a small fishing village with one hotel where rooms were the equivilent of five dollars a night and three bars where a large Singhai was half a buck. I returned on vacation in 1995 and what a shock. I came back several times after that on vacation and moved here when I retired in 2007. It has lost it's enchantment for many of the reasons already listed by others. I am married to a Thai and have a daughter. We are building a house in Buriram and will be moving there to live out my life in peace and happiness.

• Like 2

I moved to Korat from Pattaya a whileback. Although i work away a lot i still visit Pattaya a lot on my way to and from Koh Chang where i love to hangout. Pattaya is to busy now to live, but some great times can be had when i go there for a few days.

• Like 1

Bang Saray is a 15 minute drive away, as stated why have to travel to the other side of the world. I think home sickness is in play here.

Not really sure about that...are you selling condos there? On holiday weekends and most of the time during high season, it can be 30 minutes or more or over an hour a return trip. That's allot of time and gas wasted.

Have a nice trip.

As you said, too many people here :-)

What I do not get is why people move so far when moving just 30 kms from Pattaya can make you feel like you are living in a private beach resort...

This is true. Living in Pattaya City simply isn't for everyone and it has turned for the worse, no doubt about it. Moving just a little outside, or even to another city makes all the difference in the world.

I honestly don't know how guys can live inside the city these days unless they are parked on a bar stool all day and night. I would have to be drunk all the time to deal with the influx of "high class tourists" and tour buses.

Moving "a little outside" pattaya, whatever that means, is not practical for many due to transportation issues or lifestyle choices. I shop for fresh fruits and veggies and meats almost daily, many of them imported, so being too far from the major farang markets of pattaya is not practical. In addition, if one keeps fit and Ned's a full service gym, again, being too far from central pattaya is not on.

You steareatype of anyone living in pattaya being a barstool denizen is very out of date. My friends all live in pattaya and have full daytime schedules that don't include being near a barstool.

I like many others have also moved out.

Lived there for over 8 years then decided out of the blue one day that I had had enough that was 7+ years ago. Still go back to see friend's once or twice a year for a day or two that's enough for me.

After looking for a place to live found a nice town/city in mid Thailand and never looked back very little traffic only the odd tourist it's Thailand and not in Thailand makes a big differance. We live a better life than before and at half the cost would I ever go back to live there not on your life, I don't decry the peep's that like the place I did once before I found better. And trust me there are lots of better place's to live.

Re the above post I can get anything food wise imported or local I want, we also have several gyms 'well three' but how many do you want. We also have several restaurant's that only serve non Thai food.

If you have to work there thats a different matter but to live there out of choice I think not.

Edited by fredob43

I moved to Korat from Pattaya a whileback. Although i work away a lot i still visit Pattaya a lot on my way to and from Koh Chang where i love to hangout. Pattaya is to busy now to live, but some great times can be had when i go there for a few days.

yeah spot on...

no.1.. yep, koh chang is the best to chill and still relatively inexpensive (but probably not for long)... but yeah.. had a gr8 family holiday their october 2012

no.2.. yep.. pattaya is a gr8 place to hit every once in a while and splurdge for a couple of days... but live there.. nah...... as soon as you become known.. its boring...

Edited by kristophon

It's like groundhog day on here...same old subjects over and over...rinse and repeat...yawn.

Have to say thought the traffic on sukhumvit road yesterday was totally hideous....even my 4 year old was complaining.

Edited by hotandhumid
  • Like 1