The new gym you have been waiting for is now open in Jomtien

ericg1953

I stopped in today and met the owner of Bear Gym. All new equiptment and fully aircon. It is well suited for the serious bodybuilder as well as the guy just trying to stay in shape. 2 floors of machines and cardio and it all looks good. The owner seems like a very nice guy. 7500 baht per yr and 2300 on a per month basis. Its located in a row of shophouses on Soi Watboon between the new jomtien 2nd road and sukhumvit. Looks great for the price...clean, lots of equiptment and plenty of aircon.

Anyone remember the small gym on Beach Road years back? Can't remember the name to save my life, but exercising there across from the beach was always nice.

Amazing how the place has changed so much in just a few years, and I don't believe it's been for the better of the city.

Anyone remember the small gym on Beach Road years back? Can't remember the name to save my life, but exercising there across from the beach was always nice.

Amazing how the place has changed so much in just a few years, and I don't believe it's been for the better of the city.

it was called universe gym

i used to workout there

i seem to remember the boss was an ex Mr universe called Dennis and was carted off by the BIB for steroids (allegedly)

Edited by blackman

2300 a month, he is a joke and wish him to close soon then come back after he learn business.

Nobody can compete with Tony and he will learn it soon hopefully.

It is 7500 a year according to the OP so the monthly rate does seem a bit out of whack.

However if it is good then 7500 would be a very reasonable rate to pay.

Not sure about your nobody can compete with Tony comment. Plenty of people would change gyms from Tonys very quickly if there was a viable alternative.

2300 a month, he is a joke and wish him to close soon then come back after he learn business.

It is 7500 a year according to the OP so the monthly rate does seem a bit out of whack.

Not sure about your nobody can compete with Tony comment. Plenty of people would change gyms from Tonys very quickly if there was a viable alternative.

Some people look further as just price if its a well equipped gym an it has aircon its good. 7500 a year is nothing, ok it might not be good month to month but that means only tourists miss out. People really into training need a serious gym and I think that can compete with other gyms if there are enough serious people willing to travel the distance.

You don't just compete on price only. This was not having a go at you Tolley.

i used to workout there

i seem to remember the boss was an ex Mr universe called Dennis and was carted off by the BIB for steroids (allegedly)

is now on Suk road opposite the SSC lights.

Some people look further as just price if its a well equipped gym an it has aircon its good. 7500 a year is nothing, ok it might not be good month to month but that means only tourists miss out. People really into training need a serious gym and I think that can compete with other gyms if there are enough serious people willing to travel the distance.

You don't just compete on price only. This was not having a go at you Tolley.

What are you dreaming about ? Do you think that a small guy has opened a new California or Fitness first gym with top equipment ? Of course for this price it must be a standard gym, maybe with aircon if you are lucky, but anyway it won't even have as much equipment as Tony 100 % sure, so yes, Tony is still unbeaten, easy to guess !!

I guess we will wait for Tropo's review to see where the Bear Gym stands in the overall fitness picture here. Yes, its not centrally located to everyone, but I think it will be very successful. The 2300bht pm is geared to the russians in the jomtien area and he will get that. The 7500bht geared to the full time residents is very fair and competitive..he will get that also with no problem. One word of caution, there is alot of road construction right in the area of this gym and one would be better coming from Sukhumvit as opposed to Jomtien 2nd Rd.

The Bear Gym might be a little light on cardio equiptment but he has room for expansion on the 2nd floor and I think if he does the business and it warrants more equiptment he will get it..money doesnt seem to be an issue there.

Pool, tennis court, sauna, massage, squash, Muay Thai, secured parking for cars, badminton, ping pong, aerobics, yoga ???

No...ok, I'll stick with Fairtex.

Its not competing with Fairtex..Royal Cliff competes with Fairtex. ..Fairtex is not convenient to those of us in Jomtien . The Bear Gym is a weight training facility with new equiptment,good aircon and reasonable yearly fees. For the average to above average person looking to stay in shape, its fine

Edited by ericg1953

• 6 months later...

i used to workout there

The last owner at the beach road location was Shane Stratton. Though Dennis did pop in sometimes.

A bit on a old thread, but I thought I would add the correction anyway.

• 11 months later...

Hear is an update on Bear Gym (Medved). Steroid drug bust by immigration SWAT-team on one of the unofficial "employees" of the gym:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781455-pattaya-immigration-arrest-russian-accused-of-sending-steroids-to-russia/?utm_source=newsletter-20141204-0746&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Not a very nice place to work out it seems...

• Haha 1

• 5 years later...
On 6/23/2013 at 4:58 AM, bangkokstick said:

Tony is dead, but yes 2300 . month is unacceptable.

Just noticed tonight that as you turn round by the Old Hanuman statue heading to Jomtien beach the big property sales office on the left hand side appears to be being converted into either a gym equipment shop or an actual gym. Bit of a strange one.