Tight security at exam sites for teacher jobs

Lite Beer

1070 seems a low intake of teachers ,presumably, each year.

We have teachers in many areas looking after classes that are far to big.

Surely upping the number of teachers would be an easy way to start improving education.

It's not teachers but assistant teachers according to the OP.

• Like 1

i can't imagine anyone here going through 4 years of university to be a teacher knowing they face 80 to 1 odds against ever getting that job.

That is 80 to 1 to be an assistant teacher,

I wonder what the odds are to be a teacher?

• Like 1

i can't imagine anyone here going through 4 years of university to be a teacher knowing they face 80 to 1 odds against ever getting that job.

There's a lack of labour in Thailand but that doesn't apply to teaching assistants obviously. Even so that's a lot of applicants for so few jobs. I assume it's just in lower skilled jobs there's a shortage.

Robby nz, on 23 Jun 2013 - 08:17, said:snapback.png

1070 seems a low intake of teachers ,presumably, each year.

We have teachers in many areas looking after classes that are far to big.

Surely upping the number of teachers would be an easy way to start improving education.

It's not teachers but assistant teachers according to the OP.

If you had done some study on this Kimamey you would understand that the first step to becoming a qualified teacher is to become an assistant teacher.

After a time as an assistant, like in learning the job from qualified teachers, you then get promoted to a fully fledged teacher.

There is no way someone straight out of university could take over a classroom regardless of what degree they have.

Same as no one straight out of school could fly a plane, they first have to learn how to do the job.

Where I come from they have the same sort of thing except they are called student teachers.

There's a lack of labour in Thailand but that doesn't apply to teaching assistants obviously. Even so that's a lot of applicants for so few jobs. I assume it's just in lower skilled jobs there's a shortage.

Just had a thought. I remember the 15,000 baht starting wages for a government employe. I don't know what happened with that or if it would apply here.

Just had a thought. I remember the 15,000 baht starting wages for a government employe. I don't know what happened with that or if it would apply here.

vote catcher and hardly a follow-up. I think it was 15,000 bht per month you had to pay the local government boss to secure your job.

It's very competitive. Last I understood there were 200+ applying for a single position. Though I suppose there could be other positions at other schools the same 200 were applying for.

And with these odds, the teachers who get the teaching posts are meant to be the cream!

What are the others like who don't get posts? Thai education and University education in particular, can be rightly held up for ridicule. No wonder a Thai degree is a joke in the first world.

If degrees from King Mongkut's University are a joke (see World University rankings) where does that leave you perchance?

Was wondering what happens to all of those who miss out.

Do they become part of the 1% unemployed or are there other jobs for them in other fields?

I would presume that all those applying want to be teachers because they have some sort of a passion for education.

After all teaching is not a cushy sit on your ass do nothing 8 to 5 office job.

You have to front up to a mob of kids some of whom don't want to be there and try to impart some knowledge into them.

There are lessons to prepare at home, I have a friend who's Mrs is a teacher and any time I have visited them she always has a stack of paper work to do out of school time.

They are likely to be sent anywhere in the country away from there home.

The way I see it, it is something you have to want to do.

And for those who rubbish Thai Uni qualifications.

I suspect you haven't got the faintest idea and are only parroting what others have said.

The Mrs is doing a degree at an open Uni right now and I know how much work she is putting into it, a serious business for her.

And with these odds, the teachers who get the teaching posts are meant to be the cream!

What are the others like who don't get posts? Thai education and University education in particular, can be rightly held up for ridicule. No wonder a Thai degree is a joke in the first world.

If degrees from King Mongkut's University are a joke (see World University rankings) where does that leave you perchance?
Thai University Degrees apart from those gained at King Mongkut's University (apparently) are a joke. I have witnessed and reported examples on TV of English language MA Degree achievements and the actual abilities displayed by these people.

I firmly believe that a first world degree is the same as a Thai degree only in name. A bit like a catapult and a nuclear bomb.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know a comparison between the proportion of Thais who complete M6 and then go to University and get a degree, and the similar situation in the first world.

Education assumes university here. I think a higher proportion of students who complete secondary eduction go on to attend university in Thailand, but I don't have the facts to support it. All I have is experience of the families and friends I know and what they tell me.

As Thai education seems to be in need of improvement I don't think you can be high and mighty about one university (how many universities in Thailand? Chiang Mai has at least 11!). Oh yes, your assessment is based on a ranking which is based on - what?

I notice not a word on their ability to use the pad which is supposed to be the savior of education in Thailand.

Besides what is the criteria to be a teacher assistant?

With 83,930 people sitting for the test and only 1070 positions open.

I am sure that the bulk of them will pass the test.

Also the test is for teaching assistant. I wonder how the existing teachers would do with the same test?

How can there be 83k qualified applicants but only 1k places?

Why are they taking in patently far too many students when there are no places available for employment.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I notice not a word on their ability to use the pad which is supposed to be the savior of education in Thailand.

Also the test is for teaching assistant. I wonder how the existing teachers would do with the same test?

Why are they taking in patently far too many students when there are no places available for employment.

Excellent question.

The 83k are qualified, so presumably a proportion failed, so the disparity is even worse.

I would ask a further question - is this 83k out of 83k, or were there students who failed to join the lemming line and get their piece of paper - sorry 'degree'?

Excellent question.

The 83k are qualified, so presumably a proportion failed, so the disparity is even worse.

I would ask a further question - is this 83k out of 83k, or were there students who failed to join the lemming line and get their piece of paper - sorry 'degree'?

It's a joke, turning out thousands of degree holders in a narrow skill, when there are no jobs for them.

Maybe they should make the requirements just a little more exacting.

Thailand has far too many college graduates for the local labor market to absorb, maybe an excess of 250,000 each year.

Teaching is one of the few professional career tracks open for women here.

Teaching is a honored and respected career here.

Government teaching positions are highly prized here, perhaps not always for the most altruistic reasons.

Many of these testing candidates are currently working in private schools: pre-K - M3, where the working conditions are less than ideal. Long hours: 07:00 - 19:00, six or seven days a week, extremely low pay, almost no vacation, no benefits, at the beck/call of the owners.

In some locations the odds are closer to 1:100.

Any rigging now gets done "upstream" rather than in the testing facilities.

• Like 1

Thailand has far too many college graduates for the local labor market to absorb, maybe an excess of 250,000 each year.

Government teaching positions are highly prized here, perhaps not always for the most altruistic reasons.

Many of these testing candidates are currently working in private schools: pre-K - M3, where the working conditions are less than ideal. Long hours: 07:00 - 19:00, six or seven days a week, extremely low pay, almost no vacation, no benefits, at the beck/call of the owners.

Just got a flash on Facebook with this little chestnut hiding on the "teaching forum"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648763-quality-not-quantity-of-teachers-is-key-thai-chalk-talk/

Of course, none of them fit the requirments versus demand within the curriculum. They have 55k teachers studying "PE and Hygiene" whatever that combination means, but only 2k studying to be Chinese teachers. Yet again, a complete and UTTER screw up.

In years past, relevant organisations have complained about the shortage of quality teachers and educators. In response, teacher-training institutes began turning out a larger number of qualified teachers. However, this has lead to a new problem. Very soon, Thailand will have an oversupply of teachers.

According to a recent survey, hundreds of thousand of students are studying the five-year programme aimed at producing the so-called new breed of teacher.

In the 2013 academic year, 29,844 students will graduate and look for teaching jobs, and in 2014 academic year, 40,437 will graduate with the same teaching qualifications. In the 2015 academic year, the number of graduates from teacher-training programmes will be even higher - up to 56,382 graduates. In 2016, the number of graduates will reach 71,530 and in 2017, up to 61,329 will graduate from teacher-training programmes.

This means that in the next five years, the country will have a total of 259,522 graduates qualified as teachers.

But how many vacancies will be available?

Last month, the Thailand Education Deans Council commented that the number of students in teacher training was shockingly high. It also said that although up to 100,000 teachers may reach their retirement age in the next five years, the government would likely recruit just 20,000 new teachers to replace them.

People in Thailand care so much about status and degree, so they don't have to soil their hands with pesky dirty work or unpopular jobs like science or engineering...

There are many jobs available in Thailand,... but most of the university prospects don't want them, because they want the big money right away without even soiling their hands and feet dirty first... FACE VALUE...

Just got a flash on Facebook with this little chestnut hiding on the "teaching forum"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648763-quality-not-quantity-of-teachers-is-key-thai-chalk-talk/

Of course, none of them fit the requirments versus demand within the curriculum. They have 55k teachers studying "PE and Hygiene" whatever that combination means, but only 2k studying to be Chinese teachers. Yet again, a complete and UTTER screw up.

In years past, relevant organisations have complained about the shortage of quality teachers and educators. In response, teacher-training institutes began turning out a larger number of qualified teachers. However, this has lead to a new problem. Very soon, Thailand will have an oversupply of teachers.

According to a recent survey, hundreds of thousand of students are studying the five-year programme aimed at producing the so-called new breed of teacher.

In the 2013 academic year, 29,844 students will graduate and look for teaching jobs, and in 2014 academic year, 40,437 will graduate with the same teaching qualifications. In the 2015 academic year, the number of graduates from teacher-training programmes will be even higher - up to 56,382 graduates. In 2016, the number of graduates will reach 71,530 and in 2017, up to 61,329 will graduate from teacher-training programmes.

This means that in the next five years, the country will have a total of 259,522 graduates qualified as teachers.

Last month, the Thailand Education Deans Council commented that the number of students in teacher training was shockingly high. It also said that although up to 100,000 teachers may reach their retirement age in the next five years, the government would likely recruit just 20,000 new teachers to replace them.

Fits in with my observation that University is an inclusive part of the Thai education system.

In the first world, University is the exception, for those who aspire to and attain degree level.

In Thailand, it's the opposite. What qualifications does a student have who completes M4 (the GCSE standard)? What qualifications does an M6 student have?

A University place would seem to be 'well I'm good at woodwork, so lets get a woodwork piece of paper'. Then they can proudly say I've come through the whole Thai education system and got a 'degree'.

Thailand isn't getting the Degree students they need. They are getting students thrown at them!

Until they get their piece of paper, they don't appear to be considered 'educated'.

Fits in with my observation that University is an inclusive part of the Thai education system.

In the first world, University is the exception, for those who aspire to and attain degree level.

In Thailand, it's the opposite. What qualifications does a student have who completes M4 (the GCSE standard)? What qualifications does an M6 student have?

A University place would seem to be 'well I'm good at woodwork, so lets get a woodwork piece of paper'. Then they can proudly say I've come through the whole Thai education system and got a 'degree'.

Thailand isn't getting the Degree students they need. They are getting students thrown at them!

Until they get their piece of paper, they don't appear to be considered 'educated'.

But who is setting up these programmes? They magically created programmes to accommodate 50k+ teachers in a year or two?

They are crying out for engineers, hands on technicians, and they are busy turning out PE teachers.

But who is setting up these programmes? They magically created programmes to accommodate 50k+ teachers in a year or two?

They are crying out for engineers, hands on technicians, and they are busy turning out PE teachers.

My point exactly. Who is determining thailand's priorities?

Probably Thai culture

Probably Thai culture

It's about, what degree do Thai students HAVE TO HAVE in order to please their feudal family circles and create FACE and SOCIAL STATUS?? So in other words, the majority of students in Thailand are pressured by the expectations that parents assume are the best for them, they get emotionally pushed to get to the so called universities that just rip the money off them, and once they're unemployed,.. they're finished, can't speak any proper English, and clueless about Humanity empathy in the business world...

learning facts for trillions of Baht, with money and expectations hammered in their heads until the point of no return propaganda...

Probably Thai culture

It's about, what degree do Thai students HAVE TO HAVE in order to please their feudal family circles and create FACE and SOCIAL STATUS?? So in other words, the majority of students in Thailand are pressured by the expectations that parents assume are the best for them, they get emotionally pushed to get to the so called universities that just rip the money off them, and once they're unemployed,.. they're finished, can't speak any proper English, and clueless about Humanity empathy in the business world...

learning facts for trillions of Baht, with money and expectations hammered in their heads until the point of no return propaganda...

Well it does wonders for the education statistics.

Just look how many graduates we have.

• Like 1