Australia Tourist Visa - Will a Bad Credit History impact?

My TGF is about to have her car repossessed as it is under finance. She has now missed 4 monthly payments. She is worried if it is taken by the bank, she will lose her clean credit history and this may impact on her Aus. Tourist Visa application. I am assisting with the Visa Application by stating I will be providing accommodation and financial support for her trip. Does anyone know if a bad credit history may adversely impact on a tourist visa application?

The credit history wouldn't be a problem. It isn't checked.

But, even though you are providing financial support, Aus immigration will look badly on her lack of money. They look at "reason to return" and having no money would be a mark in the "No" box. That doesn't mean that she won't get a visa because of it, just that it won't help.

Thailand does not appear to have the sophisticated credit rating agencies found in places such as Australia and the UK.

If it did half of the nation would never get credit.

I get a print out every year recording all my credit card details and when I had a car loan that was recorded.

I think the credit bureau is pretty sophisticated, but I do agree with your conclusion and I do wonder how some people get approved for loans, but of course I don't really know their full circumstances.

The only impact that a bad credit history could influence the decision is if you say something and it is seen as the debts is a good reason for her not to return to Thailand. Be honest but don't volunteer information that is not required.

Thailand does not appear to have the sophisticated credit rating agencies found in places such as Australia and the UK.

If it did half of the nation would never get credit.

Not true - the National Credit Bureau www.ncb.co.th collects data on debtors from most financial institutions in exactly the same was as credit reference agencies in the western world do. Financial institutions routinely use the NCB to check credit histories of applicants before providing new lines of credit. Defaulting on loan repayments in Thailand will just as easily land you on the blacklist as it would elsewhere, and will prevent you from obtaining further credit.

Another poster here notes that he receives a printout from his credit card - financial institutions that post data (such as credit limits, outstanding balances and overdue / default balances) to the NCB are required by law to periodically provide copies of this report to their customers.

Contrary to your post, most Thais are honest people who do not default on loan repayments.

Edited by Thanet