Bringing in an expresso machine

Virtualrecluse

Buy a new one here ,It's not worth the hassle and most likely cheaper smile.png

Definitely don't buy a new one here.. They are more than twice the price !!!...

I've brought in a couple of Nespresso machines... no issues. So, I guess whether or not customs pay an interest in you depends on how large the package is.

I suspect the question is: Has anyone had to pay import tax when hand carrying electronics into Thailand (i.e. Radio, TV, Coffee Machines etc...)..

• Like 2

I can proof you wrong in one thousand occasions! ALL Espresso machines in Thailand are by at least double the price from Europe. Some are triple the price ! They are all taxed "luxury tax" !

Beware of buying them here. If you fly in and you have 20 kilos of free baggage, you can always bring a decent one that weights less. Have the invoice bill ready, but take the green lane , is my advice. I already brought 3 (THREE) Espresso machines into the country through the green lanes, no problem. IF, and only IF they make you show the contents, then wai a lot, have the bill ready, act friendly and be ready to pass some grease . .this way it ain't no big hassle . . . IF . . . . thumbsup.gif

Edited by crazygreg44

and hands off the pad-machines. They taste awful.

Spend a few bucks on a small handy electric coffee-grinder, and buy fresh beans only. If you live in the North, I recommend DOI-TUNG Espresso roast for full and Medium Roast for soft taste. North Thailand coffee tastes fantastic and best when milled freshly and pressed through a cup-holder machine at 15 bar pressure.

You can buy the DOI TUNG at nearly every Big-C . . red package, already ground. The milling grade is ground coarse. As said, get a coffee grinder, mill it to a finer grade and you are ready for the real Espresso experience . . . .

Edited by crazygreg44

I've brought in a couple of Nespresso machines... no issues. So, I guess whether or not customs pay an interest in you depends on how large the package is.

I suspect the question is: Has anyone had to pay import tax when hand carrying electronics into Thailand (i.e. Radio, TV, Coffee Machines etc...)..

If it's a relatively inexpensive domestic machine, as you say. You're going to be pretty unlucky if you get stopped at customs.

If you're caught out by customs and in your opinion they're asking too much in duty. Let them keep it and buy new.

Assuming it's an inexpensive machine, as you say.

Jerry

If you're talking about a good coffee machine, you'd need something like this.

post-4042-0-85586400-1372031411_thumb.gi

Obviously not the type of coffee maker you'd want to carry on board an aeroplane. Very heavy and quite expensive, but they make excellent coffee.

Whatever model and brand you choose to carry in, make sure that you can get somebody in LOS to provide service for it. These domestic machines often need attention.

If it's a relatively inexpensive domestic machine, as you say. You're going to be pretty unlucky if you get stopped at customs.

If you're caught out by customs and in your opinion they're asking too much in duty. Let them keep it and buy new.

Jerry

@jerry,

i would have to jump up and down on it a few times before i gave it to them,,

cheesy.gif

Not sure what type of a machine you are talking about.

A fully automatic machine with the grinder built in is a total waste here.

Bought one 6-7 months back from Festival Central.

It is constantly getting blocked on a 'fine grind' setting. And I can't even return it, because there is nothing wrong with the machine itself!

Problem: milled coffee gets clogged inside the mill. Air humidity! wub.png

Late april I brought a 10kg grinder Krups expresso machine with me, paid 300 euros.

Got picked out of the line to x-ray my bags because of that, nothing else.

Using it for 2 months now and very happy with the results: can get a very strong 20ml expresso to a 220ml mug with not very strong coffee and all varieties in between.

Edited by tartempion

Espresso machines, and especially Nespresso machines are horribly expensive here in Thailand.

Take e.g. the Nespresso machine: Here in Bangkok (Central World, Central Chidlom) they charge THB 19,000.00 for the most simple machine. The exact same machine costs in Europe the equivalent of THB 6,000.00 and includes coffee capsules for THB 2,400.00.

So if you can "hide" your little Nespresso machine in your luggage you can save a lot of money. And don't forget a good supply of Nespresso capsules. A box with 10 capsules costs here THB 400.00; in Europe THB 300.00. And in Europe you have the choice between some 20 different capsules. Here maybe 3 or 4.

And just for the fun of it, I once decided in a moment of total delusion to order a sophisticated Nespresso machine to be sent by post to me here in Bangkok. It arrived, no problem, but I had to pick it up at the central Post Office behind the train station. About 5 forms to fill out and then a hefty import tax of THB 10,00.00. I protested and that's when a clerk told me, not to declare it as a coffee machine, but as a TV. I bit puzzled I did the forms all over and the clerks had no problem seeing me again, this time for a TV. I paid only THB 1,000.00 plus THB 500.00 to guy who gave me the good tip.

I brought in a Philips Saeco Exprelia last week from Australia, cost (on sale) $A1500 down from $A2500... Checked it as oversize baggage box and all... This brand isn't available in Thailand (that I've seen in the regular retail joints)

Gave it to the mother-in-law to bring through customs... As suspected would happen, she got pulled up...

Feigned ignorance and the extremely pious customs officer informed her that she should be paying import tax for this but waved her through...

I still cringe thinking about how much that duty could have been...

Jerry

@jerry,

i would have to jump up and down on it a few times before i gave it to them,,

cheesy.gif

A good point.

Yes. I would probably want to do that as well.

Jerry

Does anybody know what the import tax percentage rate is for food machinery? Im looking to import something worth 60,000THB in China. The price in Bangkok is 328,000THB. Just wandering if its worth it. Anyone know the tax rate?

If You from Europe..buy an Nespresso in Your home country, as said before the prices in Thailand is almost triple..Just put it in Your luggage. But the problem can be the capsules for the machine, here in Pattaya where I live they are incredible expensive, it's not an option any day of the week..So what You need is capsule couriers. Whenever a friend or friend of friend comes from Europe tell them to bring it for You. I have a small network now so I'm OK. Just spread the word..Concerning if it's legal or not to bring a machine to Thailand I actually don't know..

I'm guessing it's the "luxury" excise tax (60% of CIF) + import tariff (which is dependant on where it is imported from - if china, it shouldn't be too large due to the Sino Thai FTA) + 10% Bangkok tax (I call it a Bangkok tax, because I'm in Bangkok, but it's the same if you're in another province) + 7% VAT and then you have the retailer markup tax...

My friend has just done this but after buying in Germany asked a friend to send by mail over here and to use it first and not clean it properly.. So that it could be classed as used. Apparently it was an expensive machine even in Europe.

The parcel arrived no probs but machine took some cleaning!!

I brought one in last February (in hand luggage as it was too heavy for weighed luggage whistling.gif ) - took some juggling and a bit of dismantling, but got it in. Went through Heathrow, New Delhi, Bangkok and Chiang Mai airports with only Heathrow having issues (it pinged on their xray machine - but they weren't concerned once checked). I actually got one in the UK from a closed down café (nearly new) for less that a hundred quid, about a fifth of the price here new! Works fine :) Now what I am trying to find is a decent hand bean-grinder (rather than an electric one).

Not sure what type of a machine you are talking about.

A fully automatic machine with the grinder built in is a total waste here.

Bought one 6-7 months back from Festival Central.

It is constantly getting blocked on a 'fine grind' setting. And I can't even return it, because there is nothing wrong with the machine itself!

Problem: milled coffee gets clogged inside the mill. Air humidity! wub.png

This is why I am trying to find a hand grinder - old school, but don't block up as you can just back up and forward again.