Getting a speedboat license in Samui?

I'm going to be in Samui for 2 months and a bit next spring, and I'm thinking about getting a speedboat license.

I have no experience with boats whatsoever, but I like the idea of renting one, taking my family out to uninhabited beaches or just cruising to nowhere.

So here are a few questions:

1) The boat I have in mind is something like one of those small boats that waterskiers use. What kind of license is required for that in Thailand?

2) Is there a school ins Samui that will provide classes etc.?

3) How many lessons are required to obtain the license?

4) Cost of lessons / license?

5) Once I have a license, where can I rent a boat for a day? How much?

I'm not interested in answers like "just give the guy who rents out the boat B1000 and he won't ask for a license". bah.gif I genuinely want to learn, I think it would be great fun actually.

Thanks!

IMHO

Don't waste your time....

Make your holiday easy.... ask around and hire a local boat guy....

95 % of the local "speedboat" captains don't even have a motorbike license, let alone a speedboat license...

( if there is even such a thing )

I was, some years ago, a live-aboard yacht captain here on the waters of Thailand and Malaysia... I once asked the local "boat boss" about a local boat license....

He laughed in my face for 2 minutes and then said "For Thai people only"....

If the rules have changed, I am " all ears ".....

It's not a question of easy or hard. I WANT to learn how to navigate a speedboat, including "traffic rules" and the whole shabang. Maybe at some point I want to go boating in other parts of the world, too. At home, I don't live near any sizable body of water - while being in Samui would be the perfect time to learn.

It's not a question of easy or hard. I WANT to learn how to navigate a speedboat, including "traffic rules" and the whole shabang. Maybe at some point I want to go boating in other parts of the world, too. At home, I don't live near any sizable body of water - while being in Samui would be the perfect time to learn.

Please forgive me if my reply was anything less than totally respectful...

Anyone who wants to truly learn how to navigate the seas is,.. IMHO, ..... O.K,... and absolutely worthy of any and all assistance....

Best of luck...

PM me for a basic list of essential books to study.

there is in north america a course called power squadron, many materials available online to step you through the theory and best practice, but don't assume a thai craft or skipper will be following the same rules even though they are international

If the OP is Brit BSAC (British Sub-Aqua Club) or the RYA (Royal Yachting Assn) would be a good place to start but I would advise against his plans for next year.

OP is german... And why would you advise against?

Sent from my MT27i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I spoke to the Head of the Marine Police a few years ago. I was a holder of a valid licence from Australia & was contemplating purchasing a boat at the time.

I asked him if I could get one, he said don't really need one just for leisure, I suppose commercial operators need one & you are not allowed to operate a marine vessel for hire .

Also what sort of insurance would you have?

So the solution is :

1/ Contact Marine Police when you get here & ask them yourself.

2/ Rent a boat with a captain.

The second one is the most advisable, water around Samui is rather tricky along the shore line with several submerged reefs & sand banks, so local knowledge of these is a must.

• Like 2

Officially yes you do need a license to operate a boat in Thailand. A captains license can be obtained from the Harbour Masters Office at the land end of the Seatran Pier in Nathon. The exam (If you are even asked to complete it) is all in Thai but you can take a Thai person to translate it.

In reality I doubt many of the boat operators around here have the correct license. I would recommend learning in your home country before you come here, there are places in Phuket that run courses but have not seen anything here.

Good luck and well done for trying to do the right thing!!

• Like 1

If the OP is Brit BSAC (British Sub-Aqua Club) or the RYA (Royal Yachting Assn) would be a good place to start but I would advise against his plans for next year.

Roo summed it up in post #10 but, having seen the probs that occur re Jet-Skis, Quad bikes, Jeeps etc I forsee a monumental headache for anyone that bends a boat!

Edited by evadgib

I have held a

Roo summed it up in post #10 but, having seen the probs that occur re Jet-Skis, Quad bikes, Jeeps etc I forsee a monumental headache for anyone that bends a boat!

I have held a Thai motorboat licence for 5 years. It was not overly difficult to obtain providing you have a basic understanding of the rules.

As the rules may have changed over the years I would suggest you contact the Marine dept in Nathon for an update.

If you don't have a licence and you have an accident you may find that you are not covered by insurance. or at least the insurers will use that as an excuse

for non-payment.

As you want to learn boating whilst on holiday it is far better to hire out a local skipper as there are some very dodgy reefs and sandbanks around here.

Might be worth talking to Petcharat Marina as they have a number of qualified skippers who might be available on a daily rate.

• Like 2

My friend had a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) on Ko Samui for three years,at the start he hired a local boatman for a couple of weeks to guide him around the reefs etc,he was stopped at sea twice by Marine Police over the next three years and gave them 1000 baht backhander each time for not having a licence,and when he saw them at the pier at Bangrak they laughed when he inquired about the need for a licence and joined him in getting drunk at the Boat Bar opposite Bangrak Tesco (he paid for the alcohol).

My friend had a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) on Ko Samui for three years,at the start he hired a local boatman for a couple of weeks to guide him around the reefs etc,he was stopped at sea twice by Marine Police over the next three years and gave them 1000 baht backhander each time for not having a licence,and when he saw them at the pier at Bangrak they laughed when he inquired about the need for a licence and joined him in getting drunk at the Boat Bar opposite Bangrak Tesco (he paid for the alcohol).

As I said to the O.P.

Don't waste your (expensive) time while on holiday here trying to obtain a boat license... It won't happen, and you will be left frustrated.... Yeah, it sucks... but that is how it works here...

Edited by Rooo
Double quote.

As said, why waste precious holiday time on such a pursuit? Get a licence at home that you can use in future, here just get a skipper with the boat & enjoy yourself without the worries, you will find the price won't be that much more.

They also know places you will never find on your own.

• Like 1

As said, why waste precious holiday time on such a pursuit? Get a licence at home that you can use in future, here just get a skipper with the boat & enjoy yourself without the worries, you will find the price won't be that much more.

They also know places you will never find on your own.

Spot on Rooo....

to get the licnese from what i can rememeber you need the registration number of the boat that you own or your friend owns, some money, passport and other documents but i cannot rememeber in ful. like suggested i would go to the marine park and ask local forang skippers what to do as they would have all the information for you, at least i would hope so if they ares skippers. Most thai people not bother with lisences but if you are forang i would try to do everything byt the book as any excuse to land you in trouble and they shall