Dengue fever

LemonLady

One of the simple precautions of trying to avoid dengue fever is don't breed your own. Make sure you don't have any still water lying around the house such as in saucers underneath pot plants. If there is some water you can't readily dispose of put a little bit of kerosene in it and it should kill off the larvae.

Where do they sell kerosene around here? Thanks.

Never mind. Just saw Tywais post. I'll try and find some of that stuff.

Edited by elektrified

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem of dengue fever is not just the mosquitoes but mainly basic social responsibility of each individual.

if you are suspected of dengue, its common sense to stay put, have some precaution against more mozzie bites to prevent spreading of the whole dam virus around your household and area but then there are idiots who think they are warriors by struggling, doing nothing, running about, visa run etc when infact all they are doing are spreading the dengue virus round by not doing some basic sense of precaution against more bite

aedes mosquitoes are all around and impossible to eradicate but people carrying dengue virus are not. its the morons with zero social responsibility that causes epidemic in some areas.

aedes mosquitoes are all around and impossible to eradicate but people carrying dengue virus are not. its the morons with zero social responsibility that causes epidemic in some areas.

You post must be a put-on but I'll bite. In which areas are people the main cause of dengue?

Has Dengue 3 weeks ago. Thought I was going to die for about 3-4 days. Got the chills one night. Next day went to the hospital and they confirmed dengue. Didn't stay in the hospital, just went almost every day for a blood test to look at my white bllot cell count. 6 days after the chills started, white blood cell count dropped a little, 7th day dropped a lot. 8th day came back to normal. Took about 7 days after the 8th day to feel completely normal.

Most important thing is to stay hydrated, especially in the first 4 days when your body doesn't want to eat or drink anything..............

Why does the gov not spray in planes over the most populated areas as they do in Florida?

The WHO has already developed very effective strains of organisms which feed on the mosquito larvae. This is used effectively in places like southern Taiwan where dengue fever is a problem.

The WHO states that this type of spraying from trucks is very effective and it will not harm other life. What is sprayed is not a chemical but another living organism that eats the young mosquito larvae.

I think humans can actually eat this stuff without ill effect, but it is too expensive to try to make a meal off it every day.

I got dengue approx a year ago. A mild case compared to most, only lasted a week. My fault, I had some standing water under plants in the house and I did notice mosquitos around. Here are my symptoms as I remember them:

- early evening I started feeling a bit punk, not sick, just "off". I normally sip on beer in the evenings and have the odd shot of straight scotch now and again. That evening I could not stand the idea of drinking beer at all, I just had a few sips of scotch and went to bed fairly early.

- next morning I felt like shit. My gf was worried but I told her to go to work, I was fine, I did not want any company, just to be left alone. By 10am I was stuck on the toilet sweating bullets from all parts my body. I was stuck on the toilet for about 3 hours, and the bathroom floor around me was totally soaked, I could not move, body was burning up like an oven set on HIGH. I wanted a thermometer to check cause I was sure my high temp would blow it off the end, no thermometer tho. Bowels were just passing water, explosively (this continued for the next 3 days).

- for 3 days I had no desire whatsoever for any food. I only drank water, a lot of water. My eyes could not stand bright lights or even being outdoors in the daylight (this sensitivity to bright lights lasted for almost a week). Minor aches and headaches, chills and sweats off and on, I slept a lot.

- afternoon of 3rd day I started to sip on some mild tea, progressed to soup broth, 4th day started eating small amounts of food as symptoms were rapidly diminishing, by day 7 I was not only fine but I felt better than I have in years, let me explain...

I have had sensitive/loose bowels (mild case) for the past few (~6) years, and a mild case of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidiasis that has persisted for at least 8 years which is likely what caused the bowel symptoms. When I was sitting on the toilet for 3 hours I got the strong impression that the extremely high temperature my body was experiencing was burning off the candida (yeast) in my bowels. I refused all medication my gf brought me and stuck with my high intake water flush and hoped that I was right about my high temp burning off the candida and the water flushing it out of my system. After 3 days I also drank quite a bit of my gf's Bai-Ya-Nang juice she makes fresh daily, that could have helped my quick recovery, no way of proving that tho.

I was right!

From day 7 to now (+ 1 year later) my body has not felt this good for at least 10 years if not longer. Normal bowels (90% of the time) and I feel great. I am 65yo.

Sometimes there is a hidden gem in what on the surface would seem to be a negative experience. Let your body do the talking and learn to listen to it is the message I got from that experience. Life's obstacles often carry hidden opportunities if approached properly.

Doug

Edited by Moderator to remove off-topic and unproven claim re cancer and herbal treatments

You post must be a put-on but I'll bite. In which areas are people the main cause of dengue?

instead of that why dont you ask yourself in which areas are people not main cause of dengue? other than primates, we are the only one else that is self circulating the virus. you have to understand mosquitoes only act as a form of transmission

instead of that why dont you ask yourself in which areas are people not main cause of dengue? other than primates, we are the only one else that is self circulating the virus. you have to understand mosquitoes only act as a form of transmission

So then by your logic, would a quarantine of all people infected with Dengue stamp out the disease?

the problem of dengue fever is not just the mosquitoes but mainly basic social responsibility of each individual.

if you are suspected of dengue, its common sense to stay put, have some precaution against more mozzie bites to prevent spreading of the whole dam virus around your household and area but then there are idiots who think they are warriors by struggling, doing nothing, running about, visa run etc when infact all they are doing are spreading the dengue virus round by not doing some basic sense of precaution against more bite

Dengue cannot be spread by person to person contact. http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/faqfacts/index.html

Dengue cannot be spread by person to person contact. http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/faqfacts/index.html

he's coming from a different angle - his claim seems to be that the mosquitos are getting infected by people and that's what causes the disease to spread.

he's coming from a different angle - his claim seems to be that the mosquitos are getting infected by people and that's what causes the disease to spread.

We've been there on this point several times over the years and the point is not valid, the poster needs to post a link providing proof that reverse transmission is possible, which it is not, simply: the virus is communicable from the mossie to humans but is not via the reverse route, do a search on this site, there 'loads of past discussions on it..

Edited by chiang mai

We've been there on this point several times over the years and the point is not valid, the poster needs to post a link providing proof that reverse transmission is possible, which it is not, simply: the virus is communicable from the mossie to humans but is not via the reverse route, do a search on this site, there 'loads of past discussions on it..

Not arguing the point - it stands to reason as otherwise it seems that quarantines would be implemented when people were infected with dengue. But if you happen to know, how do the mosquitoes get infected with dengue?

Not arguing the point - it stands to reason as otherwise it seems that quarantines would be implemented when people were infected with dengue. But if you happen to know, how do the mosquitoes get infected with dengue?

I don't know the definitive answer but it's presumed virus transmission occurs in the same way as it does with humans, air borne, absorption, inhalation and probably injestion also.

Sorry am I misunderstanding here?

Are you saying you don't think mosquitoes pick up the dengue virus from dengue infected humans, and then pass it on?? But they do, that's what transmission means. Mosquitoes can only get dengue virus by feeding on humans whose blood contains the dengue virus, ie infected humans.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your point, but if there are no infected humans mosquitoes couldn't transmit the virus from one person to another, this is quite correct.

Here's the ref: http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/articles/hottopics/transcripts/2012/05-dengue/10.html

Viremic human means infected human.

The life cycle of dengue virus is strictly dependent on only mosquitoes and humans. Once the mosquito feeds on a viremic human, there is a 10-day extrinsic incubation period in which the virus develops and passes from the mosquito intestinal tract to its salivary glands.

Human infection results from the bite of the infected mosquito.

The mosquito remains infectious for its entire 1-month life, and can transmit infection with as few as 100 viral particles.

Mosquito eggs actually can survive desiccation for several months, and repopulation will occur once they are rehydrated.

Edited by partington

Sorry am I misunderstanding here?

Are you saying you don't think mosquitoes pick up the dengue virus from dengue infected humans, and then pass it on?? But they do, that's what transmission means. Mosquitoes can only get dengue virus by feeding on humans whose blood contains the dengue virus, ie infected humans.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your point, but if there are no infected humans mosquitoes couldn't transmit the virus from one person to another, this is quite correct.

Here's the ref: http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/articles/hottopics/transcripts/2012/05-dengue/10.html

The life cycle of dengue virus is strictly dependent on only mosquitoes and humans. Once the mosquito feeds on a viremic human, there is a 10-day extrinsic incubation period in which the virus develops and passes from the mosquito intestinal tract to its salivary glands.

Human infection results from the bite of the infected mosquito.

The mosquito remains infectious for its entire 1-month life, and can transmit infection with as few as 100 viral particles.

Mosquito eggs actually can survive desiccation for several months, and repopulation will occur once they are rehydrated.

That's correct, I do not believe that mossies become infected with the virus, solely by comming into contact with infected human blood, chicken and egg anyone!

That's correct, I do not believe that mossies become infected with the virus, solely by comming into contact with infected human blood, chicken and egg anyone!

Oh I see. That seems a very perverse position to take!

All sites that deal with tropical medicine,including the Mayo Clinic reference I gave, will tell you that the dengue virus life cycle is: infection of mosquitoes which bite infected humans, and retransmission to new humans by these newly infected mosquitoes biting them.

I'm a bit baffled why you take up the position that this is untrue! It doesn't make sense, as it is a commonplace and uncontroversial feature of many tropical diseases carried by insect vectors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chicken and egg." Are you saying the dengue virus must have come from somewhere initially?

Well of course, like many viruses and pathogens, it came from another animal originally, probably another primate, but not necessarily. Think of bird flu crossing to humans, or badgers in the UK infecting cattle with TB.

Mosquitoes bite other animals too. As dengue evolved it was probably transmitted to humans by a mosquito that also fed on the animal in which dengue was a pathogen.

This is extremely common and well recognized route for the origin of many human diseases.

Edited by partington

Oh well, head above parapet ready to have it shot off.

Dengue was uncommon in CM until a few years ago.

Then the 'System' started to allow many Burmese labours in, to carry out tasks at cheaper rate then Thai citizens.

Burma never looked after its folk so many came over with dengue and that started the first slow but steady increase in rate of infections.

john

I got dengue approx a year ago. A mild case compared to most, only lasted a week.

There is no 'mild case of Dengue.' If you were over it in a week, it wasn't Dengue.

Reminds me of the girl who said she was 'slightly pregnant?'

I got dengue approx a year ago. A mild case compared to most, only lasted a week.

There is no 'mild case of Dengue.' If you were over it in a week, it wasn't Dengue.

Not true, the severity of dengue symptoms varies widely from patient to patient.

1 to 2 weeks is a pretty typical recovery time, with a big improvement often occurring at around day 8. The more serious cases are the ones that proceed into dengue hemorrhagic fever, but that's not most cases.

Not true, the severity of dengue symptoms varies widely from patient to patient.

1 to 2 weeks is a pretty typical recovery time, with a big improvement often occurring at around day 8. The more serious cases are the ones that proceed into dengue hemorrhagic fever, but that's not most cases.

While the individual patient response and symptoms may vary greatly, one either 'has it' or 'doesn't have it.' There are no levels of Dengue. There ARE different 'types' of Dengue though, with different symptoms, and some that are more life-threatening than others. But there is no 'mild case' of Dengue.

But... as neither of us are qualified doctors, how about we just agree to disagree? smile.png

Edited by FolkGuitar

While the individual patient response and symptoms may vary greatly, one either 'has it' or 'doesn't have it.' There are no levels of Dengue. There ARE different 'types' of Dengue though, with different symptoms, and some that are more life-threatening than others. But there is no 'mild case' of Dengue.

But... as neither of us are qualified doctors, how about we just agree to disagree? ohmy.png)

You seem to be making a distinction between a mild case of dengue and a case of dengue symptoms with mild symptoms. What's the difference? If two different people both test positive for dengue but yet the severity of symptoms is vastly different, is not one of those dengue cases more severe than the other?

You seem to be making a distinction between a mild case of dengue and a case of dengue symptoms with mild symptoms. What's the difference? If two different people both test positive for dengue but yet the severity of symptoms is vastly different, is not one of those dengue cases more severe than the other?

The difference is, as I believe you yourself pointed out, the words "test positive for Dengue." How many, who have stated that they had a 'mild case' actually were tested with laboratory blood work-ups? There are several diseases that present similar symptoms, and only a blood test can determine which disease is the causative factor.

The difference is, as I believe you yourself pointed out, the words "test positive for Dengue." How many, who have stated that they had a 'mild case' actually were tested with laboratory blood work-ups? There are several diseases that present similar symptoms, and only a blood test can determine which disease is the causative factor.

I had a case of dengue with mild flu-like symptoms, was tested positive, felt almost completely better after a week, and I have the data to prove it. While it's always possible that there are some people in this thread that incorrectly thought that they had dengue, you claimed that if someone was sick for only a week that it wasn't dengue that they had. That's just incorrect - they may or may not have had dengue but getting better after a week does not prove nor disprove it.

Edited by AngelsLariat

It is correct that Dengue affects different people to various degrees and these range from very mild flu like symptoms that last only a few days through to several weeks of serious illness including high fever and seriously aching joints. I've seen (and felt) the impact of Dengue on a number of people and it's rarely the same thing twice it seems.

WOW, slam that fraudulent pumper who is peddling bogus remedies.

What a reaction!!!

What I presented is an honest reflection/memory of what occured to me, step by step, and my thoughts/experiences along the way. I thought it may help someone who experienced similar symptoms. Nothing was exagerated, nothing misleading was intended nor stated. I assumed (bad word I know) I had dengue because so many others were getting it and once the symptoms began I spent several hours on the internet researching dengue fever which fit my situation. Also the recent increase in the number of mosquitos in our house from the standing water under the plants seemed an obvious connection.

I think what got some people's backs up here was my point that we should take more responsibility for our health by learning to listen to our body as it will tell us what it needs and does not need.

Yes I believe in natural remedies and have since a teenager. Back in Canada where we have fully paid health care, "natural medicine practitioners" are not only NOT covered (you have to pay out of pocket), they are actively and continually being attacked by Big Pharma who see Naturopathic Medicine and Practitioners as a threat to their monopoly over health care and their "legal" drug industry. I used Naturopathic Doctors for my own health needs and advice whenever practical and paid "out of pocket" even tho many times money was tight. Most Pharma Drugs are patented chemical copies of various plant ingredients - which can not be patented in their natural form, some reading...

http://publications.nigms.nih.gov/medbydesign/chapter3.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/why-plants-are-usually-be_b_785139.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_product

Anyway, to each his/her own. I believe in taking responsibility for my own health and encourage others to do the same. I do use mainstream doctors and hospitals where practical ie: lab tests, Xrays, mending broken bones, surgery when necessary, etc. However, unless an emergency I first try and see what I can do on my own via proper diet and lifestyle changes and natural herbs when available.

Back to the criticism, or rather back to responding to various attacks on my ethical character. I am curious as to which part(s) of my post offended you? Please quote them as I wrote them instead of viscious attacks of a general nature.

wow

Doug

• Like 1

I got dengue approx a year ago. A mild case compared to most, only lasted a week. My fault, I had some standing water under plants in the house and I did notice mosquitos around. Here are my symptoms as I remember them:

- early evening I started feeling a bit punk, not sick, just "off". I normally sip on beer in the evenings and have the odd shot of straight scotch now and again. That evening I could not stand the idea of drinking beer at all, I just had a few sips of scotch and went to bed fairly early.

- next morning I felt like shit. My gf was worried but I told her to go to work, I was fine, I did not want any company, just to be left alone. By 10am I was stuck on the toilet sweating bullets from all parts my body. I was stuck on the toilet for about 3 hours, and the bathroom floor around me was totally soaked, I could not move, body was burning up like an oven set on HIGH. I wanted a thermometer to check cause I was sure my high temp would blow it off the end, no thermometer tho. Bowels were just passing water, explosively (this continued for the next 3 days).

- for 3 days I had no desire whatsoever for any food. I only drank water, a lot of water. My eyes could not stand bright lights or even being outdoors in the daylight (this sensitivity to bright lights lasted for almost a week). Minor aches and headaches, chills and sweats off and on, I slept a lot.

- afternoon of 3rd day I started to sip on some mild tea, progressed to soup broth, 4th day started eating small amounts of food as symptoms were rapidly diminishing, by day 7 I was not only fine but I felt better than I have in years, let me explain...

I have had sensitive/loose bowels (mild case) for the past few (~6) years, and a mild case of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidiasis that has persisted for at least 8 years which is likely what caused the bowel symptoms. When I was sitting on the toilet for 3 hours I got the strong impression that the extremely high temperature my body was experiencing was burning off the candida (yeast) in my bowels. I refused all medication my gf brought me and stuck with my high intake water flush and hoped that I was right about my high temp burning off the candida and the water flushing it out of my system. After 3 days I also drank quite a bit of my gf's Bai-Ya-Nang juice she makes fresh daily, that could have helped my quick recovery, no way of proving that tho.

I was right!

From day 7 to now (+ 1 year later) my body has not felt this good for at least 10 years if not longer. Normal bowels (90% of the time) and I feel great. I am 65yo.

Sometimes there is a hidden gem in what on the surface would seem to be a negative experience. Let your body do the talking and learn to listen to it is the message I got from that experience. Life's obstacles often carry hidden opportunities if approached properly. IE: My gf got cancer 5 years ago. Her response was a total change of lifestyle and thru intensive Thai herb research a new natural herbal juice business that has helped her and many other people.

Doug

Reminds me of the time I had sex without protection. I told my gf to stand on her head for five minutes to avoid pregnancy. It worked!

T

• Like 1

Back in Canada where we have fully paid health care, "natural medicine practitioners" are not only NOT covered (you have to pay out of pocket), they are actively and continually being attacked by Big Pharma who see Naturopathic Medicine and Practitioners as a threat to their monopoly over health care and their "legal" drug industry.

Yeah, the Canadians are funny about doctors needing a medical degree and a license.