Tookays (big Geckos)

girlx

i seem to have a huge tookay living in my roof- it scares the crap out of me every now and then when i walk into the kitchen and see it scrambling up the wall. i have heard these are aggressive and thais seem to be scared of them, which makes me scared of them. how to get rid of them?

here's mine:

mar_tookay.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live with several and I have never heard anyone say they are aggressive. Nor have I ever heard a Thai saying they are scared of them. (14 years in Thailand).

I know they can scare you if they scarper when you come into a room but I am sure they are more scared of you!

They seem to set up home and won't move. They have large families I think - our last lot seemed to have 7 offspring and only came out at dusk when the cricket (?) started up.

Don't know how to get rid of them though!

I have never heard of any aggressive tookey - in fact you are lucky to even see them. And I have never known any Thai older than a child who was afraid of them. Much better than having rats or snakes in your kitchen I suspect. :o

hmm they are scared of them in my village, and i just read this:

The tookay lizard, the largest of all geckos, looks like something out of a children's fantasy book. Pink polka dots on a purple-hued body can deceive the unwary into thinking this is something cute and cuddly. It is not. The Godzilla of the gecko world, this ferocious creature stalks and eats insects as well as those adorable little house geckos tourists love to watch clinging to the walls of their hotel rooms. Not only a menace to geckos, when cornered the tookay has a disposition that makes a rat seem benign by comparison. Not in the least intimidated by an adversary hundreds of times bigger than it, the tookay will often attack any human that dares to disturb its hiding place atop a door jam, behind a picture frame, or hidden in the thatch of a beach bungalow. The lizard's powerful jaw and needle-sharp teeth can easily puncture skin, inflicting a painful and infectious bite. The more one struggles to be released, the tighter the vice-like jaws clamp closed.

...dunno but i know someone who paid some kids with slingshots to kill a family of them in his roof... i don't want to go to that extreme, just want to convince them nicely to leave.

Where did you read that may I ask? The Tooky currently living in my house gave the rats a run for their money - the rats were scared of it. But what human would ever get so close to one so that it could bite you?????? Sounds like an April Fools to me! Any seriously cornered animal will try to bite.

Repeat, Thai's are not scared of Tookeys!

please don't kill them... they are getting rarer all the time in Thailand, used to be everywhere, but I hardly saw any at all last time I was there.

I'm sure you could catch them with a net if you wanted then just release them somewhere else. I personally think you're pretty lucky having one!

Actually, I know a few thais (women) who are afraid of them. They were taught as children that they had better be good and go to sleep or the toukay would come and eat their livers.

The toukay is a harmless animal that eats cockroaches and other bugs as well as mice. I have had one living in my bedroom for years and welcome him. (or her!) My husband has caught them from time to time (they scare the tourists) and taken them away but either it comes back or it is replaced by another toukay.

Consider it one of the quirks of living in Thailand and enjoy your built in mouse/cockroach catcher.

Just have to add one thing, total <deleted> that they will attack someone. The only time I have seen one be aggressive is when I was trying to shoo it out of a bungalow bathroom with a broom and even then it didn't try to bite me, it just hissed at me.

Actually, I know a few thais (women) who are afraid of them. They were taught as children that they had better be good and go to sleep or the toukay would come and eat their livers.
I've heard that story as well, my wife is scared of them.

We've got some big ones here, you can't even get near them, so I dont think there is much chance of them biting you. Great for helping to keep the other vermin down

~

I must agree with most of the gentle advice above.

Long ago I was stunned when I saw one of these things in my wife's family home in the Chaiyaphum province and that was only one of the little ones!

While some may consider them ugly (as am I), they mostly desire to stay away from larger creatures such and you and I and they clean a house of far less desirable creatures. Who could ask for anything more, eh?

As to them devouring the smaller geckos, I have seen no sign of that and indeed they seem to share space very well together. But then when things get overcrowded and the pickins' are lean, we humans have been known to kill our own kind occasionally, yes?

I think that you have little choice but to make the delightful and accepting choice to welcome them into your home or find an area of Thailand where they do not prevail. We have the smaller geckos but not the Tookay but I and my Thai wife would certainly welcome them...

~

Sorry, me again..

The very short version of this, no matter what manner of "other" life you wish to discourage, is to eliminate their food source.

No food, no creatures...

I mean, how boring is THAT? :o

The scare piece of journalism appeared in a Phuket publication from a quick Google search. In the 35 years I have been living in Thailand I have never heard of anyone being bitten or attacked by a tookey. As with any living animal if you corner it I would expect it to defend itself. But I really do not believe you are in danger of becoming his supper. :o

I'll second that some Thais are indeed scared of geckos, or at least the sound they make. Something to do with ghosts (isn't everything here) apparently.

Incidentally there was a movie out last year about a gecko ghost women or something. Didn't watch it, just saw the trailer.

Edited by tom yum goong

Repeat, Thai's are not scared of Tookeys!

That's generalizing seonia. My wife certainly is as are her older sisters. When I found one in the bedroom peeking over the top of the curtain, I was certainly unsettled (he was very big). I mentioned it to some individuals at the university and some warned me they will bite and can give an infection (if cornered), some commented about being afraid of them, and some just thought it amusing.

So it suggests different experiences, stories or just an inate fear by some. I was just glad I could shoo him out of the room and get the door closed or else I would have been up all night. Now jinjocks on the other hand, no Thai I know has a problem with them nor do I.

I think some people consider it good luck to have a resident Tookay- or is that to be born within earshot of a Tookay?? Can't remember.

My wife, who is sane in all other ways, has a serious phobia of all lizards and is absolutely petrified of them. In fact I think this is her main objection to moving back to Thailand!

I also heard, some, particularly in Issan, BBQ them! Not sure if they are considered a delicacy or not!

Tookays/Geckos bring luck and are beautiful animals.

It's believed if they cry-out 7 times "GECKOO" you can do a wish which will become reality...sooo be happy with them :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I've just watched a neighbour trying to catch a tookay with a noose at the end of very long stick. No chance - he's not good enough. But no way is his wife going in the bedroom with the tookay in there (townhouse)!

The wife's father once demonstrated what a tookay can do by giving one a little poke with a stick, head on. The tookay clamped on and wouldn't let go.

Judging by the calls we seem to have a tookay epidemic in this area. People seem fine as long as the tookays know their place and they're pretty shy creatures anyway. Our resident keeps itself to the kitchen but I know the wife wouldn't be happy if it turned up in the bedroom.

Sorry Tywais - I sort of meant that Thai's on the whole are not scared of them, obviously there are individuals who have a prob with them. See what I mean?

LaoPo - I think the cry out "Took Key" ...... not "Geckoo" ...... :o

I know quite a few Thais that are uncomfortable with the Tokay and a few that are frightened of them. I have also heard the tale that if they say 'tokay' seven times it is good luck, but if they only say it three times it is bad luck (or something like that).

The Tokay also seems to have a fairly fearsome reputation. As a kid I was into snakes and lizards. I had a few Leopard Geckos and a snake. I remember that all books on the subject of keeping Geckos as pets strongly recommended against the Tokay due to its aggressive nature.

Most of the Thais I know are very scared of the tookay - both men and women. They have also told me that when the tookay bites it doesn't let go.

An old friend had a specially-crafted stick with a blade on the end with which he would kill the things. They would then be eaten. Apparently tookay tastes very good. :o

Most of the Thais I know are very scared of the tookay - both men and women. They have also told me that when the tookay bites it doesn't let go.

I first encountered one at my wifes family farmhouse up in Isaan. Went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and right on the wall about 2 feet from the lightswitch was a rather large one. It didn't seem upset by my presence or the sudden light and just sat there motionless.

Glad I didn't try to pet it............

Out in the villages in Saraburi province, most of the peple we know feel it's lucky to hear a tookay cry out a number of times.

They're pretty harmless and will generally flee from people. If cornered, they may open their mouth in a menacing fashion and hiss, but that's just part of its self-defense to scare off the "threat". If you get close enough to actually touch one, I wouldn't be surprised that it may bite, but again as a means of defending itself if it feels there's no way to escape. Just about any creature will do that. Just leave them alone and they won't do any harm.

The worst problem, if any, like jing-joks, they leave poop all over, and may lay eggs in places like clothes closets, dresser full of clothes, cupboards, etc.

As stated, on the plus side, they help by eating beetles, moths, mossies, the occasional mouse, as well as jing-joks.

Edited by AmeriThai

Tookays/Geckos bring luck and are beautiful animals.

It's believed if they cry-out 7 times "GECKOO" you can do a wish which will become reality...sooo be happy with them :o

LaoPo

I agree LaoPo.

I have 4 of them and I took this pic a few days ago.

post-1360-1143924044_thumb.jpg

Awfully sorry if i was wrong about Thais not being scared of Tookays - I have just never met one who is! Nice pic Allexx.

But I have to reiterate what I said before and what many posters have now said. I am not an expert in the field, but why would you ever get close enough to one for it to bite you?????????

Corner any animal/human and they will fight back. Goes for snakes too, we are inundated with cobras (King) on this island, but no one would push one into a corner!!!!!!

Actually I hear the sound more as "Ehhh Ohhhh"

Actually I hear the sound more as "Ehhh Ohhhh"

Yes...they don't pronounce the G...and CK....so that's right "Ehhh Ohhhh".... :o

To be serious...yes you can hear the sound "Ehhh-Ohhh"; that's why the Spanish call them Gecko.

LaoPo

I haven't seen (yet) any Tookays (or how ever it's spelt) around here, but lots of geckos. They usually hang around the lights on the walls, ceilings and overhangs.

I wish we had a few more though, as there seems to be a never ending horde of flies and mosquitos.

I'm glad we don't have any Tookays, because the "baby mafia" around here (the little kids) would harass them mercilessly, and probably end up killing any they caught (accidentally of course, just like they've done with the fish and turtles we used to have).

As for the Thais fearing the little lizards. Well, Thais tend to be a little superstitious. Telling kids tales of Tookays eating livers probably sticks with them into adulthood.

If someone ever discovered a real "monster living under the bed" or "boogeyman", or "Troll under the bridge", how many of you would be scared of it now ?

I just found this quote from a BBC web page...

Tokay geckos are commonly offered as pets - but their fierce bite makes them a potentially painful companion. Most captive tokays have been wild caught.

I have a couple of large ones in the house and garden...one used to watch TV with me. I will remember not to put my finger in his mouth next time he calls in. I'm still delighted to have him about though. (or is it "HER"?)

I've been told that if a gheko (any kind) drops on the floor in front of you that it is considered a very bad omen...and some people won't leave the house for a day if that happens.

Wildlife in Thailand is under pressure from all sides; fear food fast bucks and animal cruelty mean that nature in Thailand is on the retreat...please do your bit and don't interfer with this critter. he's ridding your house of inseccts and mice etc, so he's doing you a favour, please don't repay him by killing him!