Tookays (big Geckos)

girlx

This little bar steward gave me a nasty bite on the finger shortly after I took this photo. Luckily, it didn't hold on or give me an infection, but it bled a lot and hurt like he11.

//Edit - image was too large for post and had to be removed//

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-1360-1143924044_thumb.jpg

Given the choice of sharing my house with a tookay or that hideous thing in it's mouth I am pretty sure what I would choose :o

this photo shows how usefull these animals are!!! Why killing? Also a mouse bites painfull when touched. Try to move him outside the house!

To answer the original question you can kill them by spraying them with termite killer, the type of tin that has a little metal tube.

A good long spray will drop them then 5 minutes later they are dead. :D

I hate the things they cr-p every where and are noisy :D

I would not have any vermin living in my house with my family.

THATS a reason to kill these usefull animals like that??? :o

• 3 years later...

They do bite so be careful, I was taking pictures of a big tookay and was warned by Thais that they can jump and bite your neck or another part of you - when they bite they hang on and have to be prized off. So do not corner one and yes some Thais are scared of them , more so the women , i dont think so much scared as aware that they can be dangerous.

I think some people consider it good luck to have a resident Tookay- or is that to be born within earshot of a Tookay?? Can't remember.

My wife, who is sane in all other ways, has a serious phobia of all lizards and is absolutely petrified of them. In fact I think this is her main objection to moving back to Thailand!

I also heard, some, particularly in Issan, BBQ them! Not sure if they are considered a delicacy or not!

If a woman is pregnant and a Tookay calls once then the baby will be a boy - twice a girl.

Fascinating creatures. I recall a huge long albino tookay a foot in length that lived in the rafters of a wat I was staying in.

• 7 months later...

I have an adolescent tokay gecko that makes its noise all through the night just outside my bedroom doors/window. Its a lovely looking thing and there is no way I would harm it but is there a way to try and get it to move somewhere else so I can get some sleep ?? Is there something like a harmless chemical that gives off a smell they dont like ? How do people sleep with these things actually in their houses, the noise is so loud.

To answer the original question you can kill them by spraying them with termite killer, the type of tin that has a little metal tube.

A good long spray will drop them then 5 minutes later they are dead. :D

I hate the things they cr-p every where and are noisy :D

I would not have any vermin living in my house with my family.

THATS a reason to kill these usefull animals like that??? :)

That's why you keep the gecko. Because if your children won't eat the cockroaches and mice, so someone else has to do it...

I used to be an amateur herpetologist, captive breeding snakes and lizards including Tokays. I have been bit while handling them to clean there terrarium and they bite hard. I never received infection from the bites nor never been told by any fellow herpers of infections. They are aggressive but only when cornered and handled. I have been biten and to get them to let go hold their head under running water and don't move your hand.

They only slightly bother me when sitting out "of an evening" on my verandah listening to the sounds of the jungle and they drop one into my beer glass.

It discolours the ice and makes the Heinee taste funny.

When I respond and tell it to "begger orf" wiffee sayes that I should not talk to the night animals ....spirits ghosts etc...bad luck etc............

wot bad luck its just Sh..t in my beer.... I ll give it bad luck.

Anyway now I just sit and drink straight from the bottle so everyone incl. our Gekos,Tokeys,lizards ,frogs,spiders ,snakes,scorpions (2x named them Chas & Cam) are all happy.

Believe that we have some wolves running about on the mountain at the back but nobody has seen the tigers for a couple of years...

MPR...all welcome at the "Glen na" :)

Is it a 5, 6 or a 7 by the way? The number of times it normally says it 's name :)

I have had 5, 6 and 7 through-out the years but never an 8. Guess it's too stressed living in Bangkok. I have one again now, outside my bedroom window. It's a 5 and I'm looking forward to hearing it say good night to me :D

• 1 year later...

all nice replys but......

how to get rid of them?

was the topic question..

we got a couple big mean suckers in our home as well and lots of pesky little ones that poop all over they have to go,

as we don't want them near our newborn child at night.

Story goes they bite infants toes...

nobody seems to know the answer as to how to get rid of them ?

Come on KB help me out with this one...please