ทื่อมะลื่อ

klons

ทื่อมะลื่อ anyone have a definition? I think it probably means like

stone cold or emotionless from the following examples, but I am not

100% sure.

“สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น”

“ก็คนที่บ้านของเจ้าอุรคาทื่อมะลื่อกันทุกคน”

I think it means naive looking (stupid - too faithful).

(ทื่อมะลื่อ is a funny, rhyming name that you would give to somebody that's very naive/stupid - it's a stupid name)

Maybe the comparison with รูปปั้น is made because รูปปั้น is also brainless or naive looking. I am not sure.

I think รูปปั้น is not statue here but more something like this:

http://cameraphonepic.blogspot.com/

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

The examples are from the soap มณีสวาท. I’m going to stick with stone cold

emotionless. The people referred too as ทื่อมะลื่อ are actually ghosts that can change

into snakes. They are not naive or goofy looking. I’m only on ep. 4 and it’s been used 3

times so far. This is a picture of the first one สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น.

Looks like the normal kind of statue to me.

post-28513-0-45757400-1372116987_thumb.j

• Like 1

Klons,

Thanks for that reference to the Dictionary of New Words. It seems that the two sentences above reflect the two meanings provided in that dictionary. Definition 1. fits “สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น” while definition 2 fits “ก็คนที่บ้านของเจ้าอุรคาทื่อมะลื่อกันทุกคน”. What do you think?

Please provide us a translation of the two sample sentences from the Dictionary of New Words

เขาทำงานกันวุ่นวาย มัวมานั่งทื่อมะลื่ออยู่ได้.

ที่ผู้หญิงเขาไม่ชอบ ก็เพราะนายมันทื่อมะลื่ออย่างนี้แหละ.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

"She is incredibly beautiful and statuesque."

Isn't it amazing that "ทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น" is a metaphor similar to the English "statuesque"?

Isn't it amazing that "ทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น" is a metaphor similar to the English "statuesque"?

So where does ทื่อมะลื่อ fit in there? To say statuesque it would be understood without ทื่อมะลื่อ, would it not? So what does ทื่อมะลื่อ mean here?

Here's a Thai person's interpretation. However, David's translation is more elegant sounding to me:

"หน้าตาไม่สวย หน้าตาแข็งที่คล้ายกับรูปปั้น...เหมือนกับว่า..หน้าตาแข็งเหมือนหุ่น..หรือว่าคล้ายกับคนหยิ่งๆก็แปลได้เหมือนกัน..หรือว่าหน้าตาไม่ยิ้ม เฉยๆ อะไรประมาณนี้แหละ..."

• Like 1

So where does ทื่อมะลื่อ fit in there? To say statuesque it would be understood without ทื่อมะลื่อ, would it not? So what does ทื่อมะลื่อ mean here?

Seems to me that having both a metaphor (ทื่อมะลื่อ), following by a simile (อย่างกับรูปปั้น) is a bit of overkill. However, such repetition for emphasis or literary value is fairly common in Thai writing.

• Like 1

Klons,

Thanks for that reference to the Dictionary of New Words. It seems that the two sentences above reflect the two meanings provided in that dictionary. Definition 1. fits “สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น” while definition 2 fits “ก็คนที่บ้านของเจ้าอุรคาทื่อมะลื่อกันทุกคน”. What do you think?

Please provide us a translation of the two sample sentences from the Dictionary of New Words

ที่ผู้หญิงเขาไม่ชอบ ก็เพราะนายมันทื่อมะลื่ออย่างนี้แหละ.

Thanks.

Me? provide a translation? I can’t do translations, I can only say what something
means to me. so
Work was so overwhelming and crazy, all he could do was sit down like a zombie.
ที่ผู้หญิงเขาไม่ชอบ ก็เพราะนายมันทื่อมะลื่ออย่างนี้แหละ
Oops, can’t translate this one. At first I thought the girl was ทื่อมะลื่อ but I guess
it’s actually นาย who is ทื่อมะลื่อ.
And in the 2 examples:
สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น and
ก็คนที่บ้านของเจ้าอุรคาทื่อมะลื่อกันทุกคน
My take is they are both definition 1. But statuesque I don’t think
fits. In the first example (I’d have to go back and review) but I think
it was maybe a sarcastic statement like “yea she’s beautiful if you
like statues.” And in the 2nd example, all the people in the house
have cold staring lifeless expressions (well except for the Jao smiles occasionally.)
JMO in both examples ทื่อมะลื่อ means stone cold, lifeless.
Edited by klons

Thank you, Klons. I am sure my guess is faulty. I withdraw my comment about "statuesque." I certainly would like to understand these meanings and I suspect that you are correct. However, please do consider that the RID shows two definitions for the word.

I found someone who could explain several of the sentences to me. She explained ทื่อมะลื่อ in much the same way you did, Klons, by use of the English word "expressionless". Does this comport with your understanding?

สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น

She is incredibly beautifully, but her countenance with cold and expressionless, just like a statue.

What do you think?

As for the sentence: เขาทำงานกันวุ่นวาย มัวมานั่งทื่อมะลื่ออยู่ได้ the word "ทื่อมะลื่อ" was stated as a synonym of "เฉยชา" (passive, indifferent) such that the sentence would be rendered.

"Everyone else is busy working; how can you just sit there doing nothing?"

Again, I am not highly confident in these translations, nor in my understanding of the word ทื่อมะลื่อ in these contexts. I very much appreciate Klons's, and others, help with the answers. Thanks.

I found someone who could explain several of the sentences to me. She explained ทื่อมะลื่อ in much the same way you did, Klons, by use of the English word "expressionless". Does this comport with your understanding?

สวยตายล่ะ หน้าตาทื่อมะลื่ออย่างกับรูปปั้น

She is incredibly beautifully, but her countenance with cold and expressionless, just like a statue.

What do you think?

As for the sentence: เขาทำงานกันวุ่นวาย มัวมานั่งทื่อมะลื่ออยู่ได้ the word "ทื่อมะลื่อ" was stated as a synonym of "เฉยชา" (passive, indifferent) such that the sentence would be rendered.

"Everyone else is busy working; how can you just sit there doing nothing?"

Again, I am not highly confident in these translations, nor in my understanding of the word ทื่อมะลื่อ in these contexts. I very much appreciate Klons's, and others, help with the answers. Thanks.

Yes "expressionless" for the first definition. the "Thai person's interpretation" post by Justben I thought was very fitting for the context in which I saw it used. As for definition 2 i'm sort of confused. Maybe something like Kriswillems posted.

As for"Everyone else is busy working; how can you just sit there doing nothing?" I don't know. I was thinking he just sat down and shut himself off from the confusion.

Edited by klons