Today's Resident Certificate Experience

BuddhaMind

I needed ANOTHER Resident Certificate today and made my way in to immigration. Had my application all filled out, a copy of every page necessary from my passport, a letter stating that I live at the apartment building, two photos... and viola!!!! She handed me a slip of paper that said to come back on July 2nd and pick it up. So that's a new one. I'm done questioning what Thai people, what the Thai government, what any and every one in this country, are doing. That's the way it is today. Next week? Who knows. Good luck!

• Like 1

Why not get a yellow book? Makes life a lot easier.

Interesting you should say that. My wife and I went to the Hang Dong Amphur office last Friday and enquired re the obtaining of the "Yellow book". The head guy,after making us wait for a while while he read the paper, made it abundantly clear he would make us jump over many hurdles including having to cajole the head man at our village,plus another person to accompany us and act as a witness. We have lived, as a married couple, at our address for 5 years and we own the house.He continually asked "why you want? " My wife spent several minutes explaining why and he just blanked us.I know it was relativly easy a while ago but I'm not the only one that has had this recent experience at Hang Dong.Maybe its an easier process at other offices.

• Like 1

Interesting you should say that. My wife and I went to the Hang Dong Amphur office last Friday and enquired re the obtaining of the "Yellow book". The head guy,after making us wait for a while while he read the paper, made it abundantly clear he would make us jump over many hurdles including having to cajole the head man at our village,plus another person to accompany us and act as a witness. We have lived, as a married couple, at our address for 5 years and we own the house.He continually asked "why you want? " My wife spent several minutes explaining why and he just blanked us.I know it was relativly easy a while ago but I'm not the only one that has had this recent experience at Hang Dong.Maybe its an easier process at other offices.

When I got my yellow book about three years ago at the Doi Saket Amphur we also had to have the cajole or the head man of our village accompany us to the office. They just wanted him to verify that we both lived in his village, that's all. This is because there is a difference in your spouse owning a house and actually living in it, so the cajole assures the Amphur of this. I think we only paid the Amphur about 100 baht. By the way it is typical to put a tip in an envelope for the cajole once he has completed this task. We put it 500 baht and thought is was a good deal considering how many time over the past few years I have needed to verify my address for such things like a buying a car.

Went last Wednesday and gave in my papars for the R.C. Went in yesterday Monday to collect .Guess what not ready , have to go back Wednesday again .

Will be applying for the Yellow book but first have to get the R.C. NEXT WED.WILL BE MY 4TH VISIT IN TRYING TO GET IT .

Just for the benefit (or confusion, maybe) of relative newcomers to the Residence Certificate issue - it's been going on since 2008 when out of the blue CM Immigration stopped issuing them. The start/stop free/pay thing has been the norm ever since. If you think getting a Yellow Book is an easy option (and have some time on your hands) read this thread which recounts my frustrating experience way back then. Fear & Loathing On The Yellow Book Trail.

Maybe it's better now....

Just for the benefit (or confusion, maybe) of relative newcomers to the Residence Certificate issue - it's been going on since 2008 when out of the blue CM Immigration stopped issuing them. The start/stop free/pay thing has been the norm ever since. If you think getting a Yellow Book is an easy option (and have some time on your hands) read this thread which recounts my frustrating experience way back then. Fear & Loathing On The Yellow Book Trail.

Maybe it's better now....

Sorry its not better following our experience at Hang Dong Amphur office last week,made abundantly clear to us that it was to be a long and winding road. There is of course no logic to their reasoning why it should be so difficult just pure obstruction.

I have quite a different experience in getting my Baan Book (yellow one).

We visited the Amphur office on a Tuesday and got a list of required items - none difficult to obtain or create:

- copy of marriage certificate

- copy of her baan book and ID card

- copy of my passport's front page and of the most-recent yearly visa

- copy of my birth certificate

- listing of my parents names and their birthdates

For the next appointment, I was to bring the Village headman and one other witness who has known me for at least 2 years. The other witness was also to bring a copy of his ID card and baan book.

They asked if it would be ok to come back with all of that on Thursday (in 2 days). I agreed.

On the Thursday, went to my appointment with my papers and my two witnesses. The headman was about 20 minutes late, but when he arrived, the whole process took about 10 minutes.

I was then told the "yellow baan book" would be ordered and should arrive in about 2 weeks - which it did. That final appointment took about 15 minutes (most of it spent searching for the Amphur boss for his signature...), and I was handed my yellow baan book. I was warned by the Amphur manager that the yellow book was only valid as long as I maintained by visa.

The fee was 20 Baht for the attestation of the marriage license and 50 Baht for the book itself - official receipts for both were provided. No "other" payments were requested nor provided. My wife did give the Village Headman's wife a bottle of whiskey later saying it was "appropriate" for his coming to the City Hall office.

That was it, a done deal. Interestingly enough, in the 3+ years since, I have never been asked for it.

I have quite a different experience in getting my Baan Book (yellow one).

We visited the Amphur office on a Tuesday and got a list of required items - none difficult to obtain or create:

- copy of marriage certificate

- copy of her baan book and ID card

- copy of my passport's front page and of the most-recent yearly visa

- copy of my birth certificate

- listing of my parents names and their birthdates

For the next appointment, I was to bring the Village headman and one other witness who has known me for at least 2 years. The other witness was also to bring a copy of his ID card and baan book.

They asked if it would be ok to come back with all of that on Thursday (in 2 days). I agreed.

On the Thursday, went to my appointment with my papers and my two witnesses. The headman was about 20 minutes late, but when he arrived, the whole process took about 10 minutes.

I was then told the "yellow baan book" would be ordered and should arrive in about 2 weeks - which it did. That final appointment took about 15 minutes (most of it spent searching for the Amphur boss for his signature...), and I was handed my yellow baan book. I was warned by the Amphur manager that the yellow book was only valid as long as I maintained by visa.

The fee was 20 Baht for the attestation of the marriage license and 50 Baht for the book itself - official receipts for both were provided. No "other" payments were requested nor provided. My wife did give the Village Headman's wife a bottle of whiskey later saying it was "appropriate" for his coming to the City Hall office.

That was it, a done deal. Interestingly enough, in the 3+ years since, I have never been asked for it.

Same experience for me. Same documents required. Hang Dong District Office. So, what's all the fuss about?

We just finished one a few months ago at Hang Dong and yes had to jump through all those hoops . Its best to deal with the girl at the counter then she will send you to him once you have your witnesses one leader of the village and another any government employee ... Once thats done you come back in about two weeks to get your book and sign it ..... I gave both my witness's 500 baht . I bought some fruit for the girl behind the counter she was very nice to us ......

Congratulations on finding the opportunity to let us know you have a yellow book.

Now if everyone will please follow the advice, get hitched, buy gf/wife a house etc, you'll all be OK.

Well, you have to differentiate between a "yellow" house registration and a Certificate of Residence. The latter does not require a Thai wife, house/flat anything. You can apply earliest after 3 years of continued (three times one-year visa) stay in Thailand (i.e. when you left in between you did that with a re-entry permit). The application window opens usually second half of December. You need to have either a work permit and a pay check of THB 100'000/monthly+ OR support Thai dependents (i.e. wife and/or children) OR have parked a huge investment for a certain period of time with a state bank; for the latter I do not know the amount and time frame.

Once the papers are compiled and filed you will be called in for a) fingerprinting and B) an interview in Thai language. Having passed that barrier then you wait until ...... decision day upon which you see the immigration and pay THB 194'000 (for single or married to a non-Thai) or half (if married to a Thai); fees are per person.

The difference to Thai citizenship is that you cannot vote nor buy land; everything else is like Thai (you purchase condos in the Thai contingent in your name), no 90 days and if you do not leave the country you have to do absolutely NOTHING anymore. Leaving the country needs an endorsement and a re-entry permit; both at THB 5'700 without any other papers (expect photograph) and it will allow unlimited travels into/from Thailand for 365 days. You get listed in the BLUE house registration which copy suffices for driving licenses, vehicle purchases etc.

It might look a little steep but I would do it anytime again. In 1988 I paid THB 25'000, now it is eight times more but still worth it unless you want to carry on with the 4 x yearly 90 days circus, the one-year visa, the re-entries, the copies, photos, signatures etc. etc. You do yourself a HUGE favour.

And should you head for Thai nationality (which I am not for other reasons) then it takes 5 years of said Certificate of Residence and off you go to learn singing the National anthem. wink.png And I prefer to coffee1.gif over getting excited on such things!

To my knowledge there is no requirement to be married to a Thai in order to get the yellow book. Recently in Chiang Rai I saw afarang man and his farang wife get issued their yellow books.

This is true you just have to be a renter and in the country legally

The forum is full of misunderstanding, misconceptions and half-truths because everybody thinks about his/her case and does want to listen.

There are three different things

1) letter of residence usually required for driving license, this is actually a proof of your address

2) house registration (yellow of blue book) - address of a condo you bought with your name on it.

3) Permanent residence book - some sort of a "green card": you do not need a visa anymore but you still need a work permit.

Please, do not write if you do not understand what it is about, because wrong info may cost those who actually believe this board

Edited by JHenry
  • Like 1

DonaldBattles post #14
"To my knowledge there is no requirement to be married to a Thai in order to get
the yellow book. Recently in Chiang Rai I saw a farang man and his farang wife
get issued their yellow books."

BB1955 post #19
"This is true you just have to be a renter and in the country legally."

Above is my situation and I have been given a new yellow book at three amphur
already.

After changing your address, you report the new address to the previous
amphur of residence. They give you a letter stating that you have reported
moving to a new amphur. With this letter and the yellow book you must report
at the new amphur or you will be fined.

Congratulations on finding the opportunity to let us know you have a yellow book.

Now if everyone will please follow the advice, get hitched, buy gf/wife a house etc, you'll all be OK.

Well, you have to differentiate between a "yellow" house registration and a Certificate of Residence. The latter does not require a Thai wife, house/flat anything. You can apply earliest after 3 years of continued (three times one-year visa) stay in Thailand (i.e. when you left in between you did that with a re-entry permit). The application window opens usually second half of December. You need to have either a work permit and a pay check of THB 100'000/monthly+ OR support Thai dependents (i.e. wife and/or children) OR have parked a huge investment for a certain period of time with a state bank; for the latter I do not know the amount and time frame.

Once the papers are compiled and filed you will be called in for a) fingerprinting and cool.png an interview in Thai language. Having passed that barrier then you wait until ...... decision day upon which you see the immigration and pay THB 194'000 (for single or married to a non-Thai) or half (if married to a Thai); fees are per person.

The difference to Thai citizenship is that you cannot vote nor buy land; everything else is like Thai (you purchase condos in the Thai contingent in your name), no 90 days and if you do not leave the country you have to do absolutely NOTHING anymore. Leaving the country needs an endorsement and a re-entry permit; both at THB 5'700 without any other papers (expect photograph) and it will allow unlimited travels into/from Thailand for 365 days. You get listed in the BLUE house registration which copy suffices for driving licenses, vehicle purchases etc.

It might look a little steep but I would do it anytime again. In 1988 I paid THB 25'000, now it is eight times more but still worth it unless you want to carry on with the 4 x yearly 90 days circus, the one-year visa, the re-entries, the copies, photos, signatures etc. etc. You do yourself a HUGE favour.

And should you head for Thai nationality (which I am not for other reasons) then it takes 5 years of said Certificate of Residence and off you go to learn singing the National anthem. wink.png And I prefer to coffee1.gif over getting excited on such things!

Erm nope. That's Residency - a Resident Certificate is just proof of domicile (address). Immigration used to given them out free - then for 500b and now not at all (as the Gov. announced that they were in fact free and immigration does bugger all for free). The alternative is to use you embassy/consulate for the same thing (this is often quite expensive - in the UK's case its stupidly expensive for a half page standard form letter with a squiggle)

Once the papers are compiled and filed you will be called in for a) fingerprinting and cool.png an interview in Thai language. Having passed that barrier then you wait until ...... decision day upon which you see the immigration and pay THB 194'000 (for single or married to a non-Thai) or half (if married to a Thai); fees are per person.

There is one more HUGE difference between CR and Thai citizenship: The CR doesn't allow you to work in Thailand. You still need a Work Permitsad.png

Bloody hell all that to buy a Honda Wave?

I think you're talking something entirely different.

DonaldBattles post #14

"To my knowledge there is no requirement to be married to a Thai in order to get

the yellow book. Recently in Chiang Rai I saw a farang man and his farang wife

get issued their yellow books."

================================================================

Yellow book is for foreigners owing a condo. Blue book for Thais and PR owning condo. You need to own a condo, not wife to get the yellow book.

BuddhaMind and Anto...what offices are you having this problem in? Either of you going to Jomtien?

Chiang Mai immigration .I used to live down in Jomtien up to 3 years ago .Jomtien Soi 5 is a model of how am immigration office should be run .I always had a quick eficient service there .