Indonesian haze has no impact on Thai tourism

webfact

Indonesian haze has no impact on Thai tourism
By Digital Media

13720527901981.png

BANGKOK, June 24 – The Indonesian forest fire-produced haze, which has affected Singapore and Malaysia, has not yet impacted Thailand’s tourism, said Surapong Techaroowichit, chairman of the Thai Hotels Association.

There is no sign that the haze will affect Thai tourism as there have been no cancellations of room and tour bookings during this period, he said.

Thai tourism is running normally and continues to grow beyond last year's numbers.

Haze in Pekanbaru on Indonesia's Sumatra island worsen Monday, causing eye and nose irritation and forcing residents and tourists alike to wear protective face masks.

Volunteers are distributing masks on main roads in Pekanbaru where visibility has dropped to about 800 metres.

Regarding the joint Thai-Indonesian air force exercise "Elang Thainesia 2013" set to be held today through July 5, the concerned authorities are assessing the haze situation to decide it will impact the drill or not. The first flight exercise will be held tomorrow. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-24

Can't see how it would affect Thailand anyhow tourism wise. A long way to go to get here and even then the southern provinces are not noted for tourism.

that is not to say they don't have some really nice pourist places but they have an ugly side to them that is left unchecked and can kill you any where.

The haze drifts across neighbouring countries, including southern-thailand, and will inevitably affect tourists visiting places like Phuket & Samui, and thus Thailand's own reputation.

But the TAT hope perhaps this may still help attract visitors, heavy-smokers perhaps, or residents of heavily-polluted countries ? wink.png

Might one propose a new slogan ... "Visit Thailand - It's less-smoggy than Hell !" laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

I just returned from Kuala Lumpar this afternoon and it was terrible,as we flew in visibility was 300 metres at the airport,on the dive into the city it was a really thick fog,on the way back this morning it was even worse,I hope the wind does not blow this north,I was only outside for twenty minutes and I felt physically sick.The newspaper New Straits Times said the government has declared a State of Emergency this morning in the southern Malay states,closing all schools and telling people to stay indoors.

Man, the cynicism here is deafening. How is there anything wrong with the government tourism agency reporting on possible impact of the haze on tourism? I live in Singapore, and the equivalent agency has said that tourism may drop by 20% or more depending on how long the problem continues. Is it wrong for a Tourism Board to discuss such issues? No... that's their business. Same for the TAT. These are important issues because of the importance of tourism to the economy. Because one agency discusses the impact on one (important) element of the economy does not mean health consequences are considered unimportant... that's simply not the purview of the TAT. But course, it seems a good number of people here will take any opportunity to take a shot at Thailand or its government...

• Like 2