English edition Bangkok Post in Ubon

jcb2001

There is a paper shop on the road that borders the southern side of the big park where the candle festival is held. I cant tell you the name of the street but if you drive down the main road in Ubon towards the bridge over the river, turn left at the river end of the park and the paper shop is about 300 metres along on the right side of the road opposite the Tourist office. A friend of mine used to buy the Bangkok Post there everyday until he went online.

Hope this helps

Try the book shop on the corner across the road from the TAT. It's on Thanon Khuenthani going West - East on the south side of the city park Tung Si Mueang. smile.png

Very good and detailed Ubon map can be bought in WW. It's made by a Kiwi mate who used to teach at an University here!

Hence it's easy to find the right street name when the map is nearby. biggrin.png

For 14 years I had the Bangkok Post delivered daily to my home in Ubon. Three years ago I stopped the service because I just wasn't reading the papers.

However, the service was great. Delivery to my house every day. You contact the newspaper and magazine delivery people you see around town They deliver Thai newspapers like Thai Rath and Daily News to dozens of Thai households and businesses every day. No problem to add the Bangkok Post. Mind you, every so often I got The Nation instead.

They bill you once a month.

Just a thought. Traffic these days in Ubon is so congested and to drive all the way down town to buy a newspaper makes for expensive reading.

Bookshop in the back of the ground floor of Robinsons on Chayangkul, but its usually sold out by midday. Info may be out of date - have not looked for it there in the last 18 months, so maybe not sold anymore.

Does the BP on-line news have the same info as the printed newspaper? It seems to me that there is more news in the newspaper than the on-line edition. Can anyone confirm this?

Does the BP on-line news have the same info as the printed newspaper? It seems to me that there is more news in the newspaper than the on-line edition. Can anyone confirm this?

The online edition has nowhere near the same number of articles as the print version does. Even though I live in Pattaya and the BP is available ( if you get to a store before their limited supply runs out ) I have found it cheaper to subscribe to a online actual print version of the BP available here, since you are seeing the actual pages of the newspaper on your computer screen

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Here is a screen cap of todays The Nation (since we are not allowed to quote the BP)

post-10942-0-53205300-1372250300_thumb.p

I subscribe to the BP each year and it is the exact paper you buy from the shops.

The one you have seen is the free on line version which is just a few items they pick out.

When I go away anywhere in the world I can still download the BP to read, which is useful.

You can even send the crossword page to your email to print out but I never bother doing that.

The other useful thing is if you miss an edition then you can backdate and download the one you want.

HL biggrin.png

I subscribe to the BP each year and it is the exact paper you buy from the shops.

The one you have seen is the free on line version which is just a few items they pick out.

When I go away anywhere in the world I can still download the BP to read, which is useful.

You can even send the crossword page to your email to print out but I never bother doing that.

The other useful thing is if you miss an edition then you can backdate and download the one you want.

HL biggrin.png

This is exactly the same service that I listed in my post above, only yours is exclusively BP. (ie. BP have licensed the technology from Press Display ) With mine I can choose other foreign newspapers to view if I don't want the BP that day

• 2 weeks later...

I used to by my Bangkok Post at the magazine stand in Makro. Don't know if it is still sold there .

Bangkok Post isn't sold there anymore.

Only place in Ubon where the newspaper is sold nowadays, is the shop across the Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT).

• 9 months later...

Am i allowed to post a link which gives free access to BKK Post plus other Thai and worldwide newspapers?

Over 2000 in total.

If you can't post the link, can you PM me it? Cheers.

Problems with PM function.

http://library.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/accountingloginlibrary.aspx?returnurl=%2fpressdisplay%2fviewer.aspx

This online content is available to anyone in the UK who has a library card.

In the space where it asks for Barcode/Library Card No. Just put in any combination of 7 or 8 numbers and then you are logged in(i put 2345678)

On the left you will see a list of countries,just click on any of them to view the online content.

Hope it works as well for you as i does for me..

You can get more than the 'cut-down front page' on-line. Subscribe for 'top stories', 'local content' and 'business news' and you'll get quite a lot to read. You will not get any of the opinion pieces but who would want journalists'/proprietors' hopelessly biased opinions in Thailand anywaysmile.png

Edit: The cut down front page e-mail arrives about 5am so you can be at least au fait with the big issues pretty early in the day! I tend to watch Channel Asia News over breakfast coffee (CTH package). Best news-in-English coverage of SE Asia Region and Thailand, though you do have to endure some parochial Singapore content.

I just go to the online addition and read what I want to, http://www.bangkokpost.com

I start my mornings by reading it on my phones browser with the mobile addition http://m.bangkokpost.com

Then I open Thailand Live on the news forum to read what I want that's shown on it after I go online then keep refreshing during the day to get the latest posts This is today's news. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719663-thailand-live-friday-18-apr-2014/

You can get more than the 'cut-down front page' on-line. Subscribe for 'top stories', 'local content' and 'business news' and you'll get quite a lot to read. You will not get any of the opinion pieces but who would want journalists'/proprietors' hopelessly biased opinions in Thailand anywaysmile.png

Edit: The cut down front page e-mail arrives about 5am so you can be at least au fait with the big issues pretty early in the day! I tend to watch Channel Asia News over breakfast coffee (CTH package). Best news-in-English coverage of SE Asia Region and Thailand, though you do have to endure some parochial Singapore content.

The link i provided gives the full online Bkk Post not the cut-down front page.

• 1 year later...

I used to by my Bangkok Post at the magazine stand in Makro. Don't know if it is still sold there .

Bangkok Post isn't sold there anymore.

Only place in Ubon where the newspaper is sold nowadays, is the shop across the Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT).

UPDATE:

Bangkok Post is also sold in a shop in Ratchabut Road (one way street, walking distance from the shop opposite TAT).

I don't bother - their free news feeds provide access to a wide range of their detailed articles these days (more so than 2 years ago when this thread was being debated). The actual news articles are probably truncated - I haven't checked as what with the availability of 24 hour news TV channels (Sky, Beeb, Channel News Asia) I find I really only go for local opinion commentary and locally related magazine type articles, which the so called (misnamed IMO) "Bangkok Post On-Line Top Stories" e-mails provide access to.

I recognise that some like the feel of a newspaper and I don't diss that. If you buy it daily though you should realise that it mounts up to not far away from the price of a CTH satellite subscription [sky, Channel News Asia, Fox News(oh no!!)]

Archived