Olde Bell Closing Down Sale

OldeBellPedr

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why there are all these negative comments about Chinese Thais considering that when a farang loses his life savings, it's usually to an uneducated Thai female from a rural area of Thailand. In general, the Chinese prosper because they work hard and this prosperity is often viewed jealously by people who don't work hard and aren't prepared to risk/invest their own money in a business. There are bad apples everywhere, but most of the ones I've met in Thailand were not Chinese Thai. For example, most Thai policemen are not Chinese Thai. Most corrupt local government officers are not Chinese Thai.

The owner of the building is Chinese!

For what it is worth, I have had a bunch of Chinese Thai landlords and all of them have been fair with me. I am sure that there are some bad apples out there , but in my experience, it is not the norm.

Wait.. what? Is the pogrom cancelled?!

Oh mann...

Apparently not in New Guinea.

Where is the Dog and Bone ?

Go past Makro, past the next Seven 11 and immediate turn left.

One of the best pool tables in Chiang Mai and a smattering of rather good players!

Richard

How is the parking for someone with a car?

Fine. Easier in the evening perhaps as the shops across the soi are closed so can park there, otherwise, park just down the road. Bikes right outside. Just got back from the Quiz (monthly) at Dog n Bone - good fun (we came 3rd - with 2 adults and 2 kids on our team :))

If I could just draw you all back to the original point of the thread! We have a large amount of stuff to sell at V. cheap prices Today.Thursday any time from midday onwards. Most items 20 Baht. Books, CD's, DVD's, bric-a-brac, pubs odds and ends - Beer glasses, condoms, light boxes, jugs, mugs, plates, cutlery and such like. As well as clothing, electrical items, The sale runs from midday to 4pm.

20% discount on food and drinks from 12-5pm.

Fish 'n chips 120 Baht, Sausage Hash 80 Baht, tomato and basil soup 45 baht. Beer Chang 60 Baht a pint!

Why not make an afternoon of it!!!

• Like 2

Great time at the Old Belle - this forum is definitely NOT reflective of how the Chiang Mai community feels about this place

We will miss you - but all the best!!! Definitely an exciting time to take on new frontiers

Great time at the Old Belle - this forum is definitely NOT reflective of how the Chiang Mai community feels about this place

We will miss you - but all the best!!! Definitely an exciting time to take on new frontiers

I've only seen positive things said about the olde bell and Perdr and Beer on this post and that is quite a big achievement. Good look to them both on their new lease on life, I say. I think they both deserve a well-earned rest.

Thanks Chiangmaijoe! That's my experience. All the posters on this thread have been most kind. As have all the people who passed on good wishes we received today at our sale. Thank you all for coming - the sale surpassed our wildest expectations!

A reminder that tomorrow we have a Karaoke night - mainly for Beer and her friends, but there'll be plenty of room for husbands and boyfriends at the bar with me and the earplugs!!

Saturday, join us for the Lions against Australia at 5pm and an Indian Chicken Curry (medium spicy) and rice for only 50 Baht per head from 7pm for anyone with a beer or glass of wine in hand!

Sunday is the last ever final day at The Olde Bell British Pub!!

Breakfast Special: Order one of our set breakfasts or A la carte breakfast items totalling 100 Baht or more between 9am and 1pm and we’ll give you a FREE Bloody Mary (or any vodka and mixer)

Last Sunday Lunch on the very last day. Served from 1pm – 9pm. I shall be on parade from 1pm and would love to see you all before we depart.

Roast Beef, Roast Pork, Roast Lamb, Roast Chicken,or Vegetarian Chestnut loaf . Available 1pm-8pm

We’ll be buying in extra stocks for this special day, but it’s strictly 'whilst stocks last'

Join us for the British Grand Prix 7pm. A Free dram of single Malt to everyone in the pub at 7pm and you never know what else!!

Table Top Sale - Thursday's sale hundreds of items sold at 20 Baht, but there are still loads of books, CD's and bric-a-brac left, and from 1pm Sunday, all remaining items will be sold at just 10 baht each!! First come, first served!

hope to see you before we take our leave!

• Like 1

I know tony sold his share in the business,last year he did that.i saw him after in Tesco lotus after the event.but I do know that lady who owns the property next to tony,s big bikes lives in bkk.she wants big money for rent or sell.it is not worth what she is asking,that is why it is empty

I know tony sold his share in the business,last year he did that.i saw him after in Tesco lotus after the event.but I do know that lady who owns the property next to tony,s big bikes lives in bkk.she wants big money for rent or sell.it is not worth what she is asking,that is why it is empty

Therein lies the problem for many of us Geoff.

The trouble is, they don't seem to care if their buildings lie empty for years, they won't negotiate: they name their price and you can take it or leave it.

Edited by OldeBellPedr
  • Like 1

The trouble is, they don't seem to care if their buildings lie empty for years, they won't negotiate: they name their price and you can take it or leave it.

That is the way most businesses work. I don't think you would be very tolerant of customers who wanted to negotiate the price of a pint of Guinness or your fish and chips even if they were to remain unsold for a long time. You name the price and they can take it or leave it.

But Tony's new coffee shop became available when the landlady put up the rent beyond the previous owners limit.

You win some, you lose some.

Shame to see the old place go Pedr (my old dad will be disappointed that the only other Lions fan in Asia, has left too) - where will I bring the girls for the Songkran water fight now sad.png - and my old dad on his thrice yearly visits.

With Tuskers and The Guitarman a footnote in history and the Old Belle soon to be - almost no reason to venture in to town for a beer any more.

UN Irish Pub, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Chiang Mai Saloon, Kafe and so on?

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

Right, but he said 'venture into town'. The Pub is venturing out of town. wink.png

The Pub had no Guinness or Draught Bitter the other day only Draught Tiger so I'm not sure it warrants the title 'British Pub' anymore unless it was a blip

The Pub had no Guinness or Draught Bitter the other day only Draught Tiger so I'm not sure it warrants the title 'British Pub' anymore unless it was a blip

I wouldn't imagine Pedr really cares ! after all he is hardly going to get in a lot of stock if he is closing down now is he thumbsup.gif

I agree..... my bad, I didnt read the earlier posts properly. I thought they were mentioning another Pub out of town had no beer. Next time Ill open my eyes completely and read it all and in its context.

It would be suicide to restock a this late stage..... and Pedr aint stupid!

I wouldn't imagine Pedr really cares ! after all he is hardly going to get in a lot of stock if he is closing down now is he thumbsup.gif

I assume he's talking about The Pub http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

not The Olde Bell.

I assume he's talking about The Pub http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

not The Olde Bell.

Sorry my mistake.

Not sure why there are all these negative comments about Chinese Thais considering that when a farang loses his life savings, it's usually to an uneducated Thai female from a rural area of Thailand. In general, the Chinese prosper because they work hard and this prosperity is often viewed jealously by people who don't work hard and aren't prepared to risk/invest their own money in a business. There are bad apples everywhere, but most of the ones I've met in Thailand were not Chinese Thai. For example, most Thai policemen are not Chinese Thai. Most corrupt local government officers are not Chinese Thai.

Because when you get landlords who make all their money from renting out land they own to people who do all the hard work developing businesses, while said landlords sit on their <deleted> working hard to count all the rent money they get, it seems a little unfair in life.

Landlords prosper through being parasites. It's not conducive to giving them too much respect really. Greed is ugly.

talking to a very well known resturant owner of many years in chiang mai,who had a very popular franchise chain a few years ago,which is still going.who decided to expanded to bangkok,were the owner of property was chinese,and he had put a large depoist down,when he got after a while a visit by the chinese mafia,and given 48hours to get out,no questions asked,i think the rent rise in cnx is certinally a better choice

I don't think the change in the lease terms is the only cause of the Demise of the Old Bell, I tend to think I have been told the place was for sale a couple of years ago .Is this action by the owner of the building just the final straw that broke the camels back?.

That is the way most businesses work. I don't think you would be very tolerant of customers who wanted to negotiate the price of a pint of Guinness or your fish and chips even if they were to remain unsold for a long time. You name the price and they can take it or leave it.

The difference is that most businesses in UK and I imagine in Oz, NZ,EU, US etc lease for very long periods of time, the contract is legally drawn up and the tenants have legal rights, whereas here you get multiples of 3 years generally, with so many opt outs for the landlords as to render them almost worthless. for 6 years we had a very good contract, drawn up by a reputable lawyer and the landlady stuck to it. 3 years with a further 3 year option. 6 months before that contract ended she announced that she felt it was her job to draw up the contract not ours. I said, I wanted to see that contract 3 months before we signed the renewal. she prevaricated and bounced us into her idea of a contract 2 days before renewal. Our choices were leave or sign.

I can assure you Mr. Loaded that Thai/Chinese business practice is NOTHING like it is in the West. All the cards are stacked in the property owners favour. As to your last comment. I regularly put on half price Fish 'n Chip specials and all manner of other food promotions during the low season, whereas I charge full price in the high season. I respond to my customers needs and demands.as best I can - because I want them to 'take it' not 'leave it'

I would add my humble support to Pedr, it's exactly as he says. The common threat,from an owner, can also quite often be "well take me to court" if the landlord tweaks a lease or interferes with the tenants while thy are conducting business. The owner knowing full well he/she holds all the cards in this country.I don't know that many business people here in CM but its happened to a couple of friends of our who just had to give up and walk away. Loaded your comparison of Pedr's situation with a glass of beer or fish and chips is frankly pretty pathetic.I think most people would consider the Olde Bell has contributed greatly to the local scene and will be sorely missed by many satisfied customers.

• Like 1