Thailand rejects BRN YouTube demands

Lite Beer

Thailand rejects BRN YouTube demands
By English News

13721402816946-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, June 25 – Thailand today ruled out a Muslim militant group’s demands via a video posted on YouTube for withdrawal of military and police forces from the kingdom’s far South.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said it was unnecessary for the government to abide by the BRN demands and that it is the responsibility of the Thai authorities to decide if troops will be pulled out of the southern provinces.

BRN leaders agreed in the latest peace talks with the Thai security delegation in the Kuala Lumpur meeting to stop attacks and violence in the South during the holy month of Ramadan from July 9 through August 7.

The BRN announcement on YouTube, however, said they would stop attacks on the condition that Thai government soldiers, army rangers and police must be withdrawn from the three southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat including five districts of Songkhla province during Ramadan.

The militant group also demanded that the Thai prime minister must endorse all their latest conditions and make an official announcement by July 3.

“It seems the BRN is unable to control the situation or order a non-violence operation during the Ramadan,” Mr Chalerm said in response. “More security measures will be ordered during the Muslim fasting month.”

Mr Chalerm said he will call a meeting with the National Security Council (NSC) and the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC) to map out a guideline in response to the new BRN move and set a guiding principle for future negotiations with other militant groups.

Paradorn Pattanatabut, NSC secretary general, said the BRN’s new demands were only a psychological move which is unacceptable to Thailand.

The proposals were not made through Malaysia which is the facilitator in the ongoing peace talks as agreed in the latest peace dialogues, he said.

A withdrawal of military troops from the South must be requested by southern residents, and not a particular group of people, he said.

“The Southern people have not mentioned troop withdrawal so far. Therefore, we do not accept their demands. In addition, the language spoken on YouTube was Malaysian and we doubt that the message was conveyed within the proper context,” he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-25

NSC waiting for Malaysia to provide interpretation of BRN's demand

BANGKOK, 25 June 2013 (NNT)-The National Security Council (NSC) will not consider the BRN's conditions, proposed on a Youtube video, at this point saying that they must be for the benefit of local residents, not for any particular group.

NSC Secretary General Lieutenant General Paradorn Pattanatabutr said the NSC is aware of the militant group's proposals, which have been broadcast via the Youtube video, however, the NSC will not react to the video yet as it is still waiting for Malaysian authorities to provide an interpretation to the messages the BRN is try to convey to Thailand. He also denied a claim that people in the restive South want the military presence out of the area, saying there is no report of such a claim from the people themselves.

The NSC Secretary General expressed his belief that the reason for the BRN to go public about their demand was to gain support from people, adding that the video they posted has so far not affected the image of Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-25 footer_n.gif

If this were a game of chess, Chalerm would have lost all his pieces

That's why he doesn't play chess. It involves thinking before action.

In all fairness though, it's a horribly messy situation. Years of incompetent handling, and an ‘enemy’ that doesn’t really want a truce on any terms than 100% there own mean fixing it won't be easy, and maybe even impossible. Thailand isn't the only country facing this problem after all.

Edited by Katipo
  • Like 1

Go home BRN, you're drunk! If you want the cops and army to disappear from the area then you simply have to give up your ridiculous demands, put your weapons and bombs away and end the feud!!! It doesn't work the other way round because you guys aren't in control, you never have and never will be!!! Also, if you hate being part of Thailand so much then simply pack your things and .... off to Malaysia!!!

Thailand rejects rebel demands for Ramadan ceasefire

BANGKOK, June 25, 2013 (AFP) - Rebels in Thailand's Muslim-majority south called Tuesday for the army to return to their bases over Ramadan in exchange for a ceasefire during the holy month, a condition swiftly rejected by the kingdom's government.

More than 5,500 people have died in the near decade-long insurgency in Thailand's south but optimism for peace has flickered recently after talks between authorities and some rebel groups including the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN).

Near-daily attacks on security forces and civilians have continued despite the talks.

Listing conditions for a Ramadan ceasefire, a breakthrough trailed after the last round of talks on June 14, a BRN spokesman said the group would "stop" its operations if Thailand meets demands including pulling security forces back from villages to their bases.

The Thai army must leave "the villages and go back to their camps", the BRN's Hassan Taib said in a video posted on YouTube, also calling for a suspension of "ambushes, road blocks or arrests" in Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani provinces which border Malaysia.

Thailand must announce its official response to the demands by July 3, he said.

"From our side, the BRN will not only reduce but stop any (violent) action. This is to give respect to Muslims during Ramadan," Taib added.

Ramadan starts around the first week of July.

The demands were given short shrift by Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung who said "there was no way" the government would concede to pulling security forces back to their bases.

"It's the government's right not to accept these demands," said Chalerm, who oversees Bangkok's response to the southern unrest, casting doubt on the BRN's capacity to curb the violence.

"The BRN cannot control their people," he added. "I don't believe that violence will decrease -- we have to have our own (security) measures."

Thailand's National Security Council chief and lead peace negotiator Paradorn Pattanatabut, said he would wait for the BRN's demands to be delivered officially through talks facilitator Malaysia before making a judgement.

But he said Thailand had to respond the demands of the south's people and "not one particular group."

Talks started in March with the BRN, who are held responsible for much of the grinding violence which has killed more civilians than soldiers.

Since then, the once reclusive group has made a series of public demands, including for separation from the kingdom of Thailand, which annexed the south more than a century ago.

Thai negotiators have raised the idea of creating some form of locally-elected administration in the region, but full autonomy for the south remains taboo as the constitution insists the Buddhist-majority kingdom must not be divided.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-25

Go home BRN, you're drunk! If you want the cops and army to disappear from the area then you simply have to give up your ridiculous demands, put your weapons and bombs away and end the feud!!! It doesn't work the other way round because you guys aren't in control, you never have and never will be!!! Also, if you hate being part of Thailand so much then simply pack your things and .... off to Malaysia!!!

Erm... the region is traditionally and predominantly Muslim and ethnic Malay, and was only annexed in 1909.

I'm sure they would be part of Malaysia had Thailand not claimed sovereignty over them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said it was unnecessary for the government to abide by the BRN demands and that it is the responsibility of the Thai authorities to decide if troops will be pulled out of the southern provinces

An admission that the government is not in control of the armed forces.

The first sign of a failed state.

they know who the leaders are, just shoot the mongels. Giving them free reign to do as they please is pathetic.

The current government is pretty bad but I'm not sure they warrant assassination.

they know who the leaders are, just shoot the mongels. Giving them free reign to do as they please is pathetic.

The current government is pretty bad but I'm not sure they warrant assassination.

Somchai Neelapaijit

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said it was unnecessary for the government to abide by the BRN demands and that it is the responsibility of the Thai authorities to decide if troops will be pulled out of the southern provinces

Chalerm isn't even in control of himself let alone anything else.

• Like 1

they know who the leaders are, just shoot the mongels. Giving them free reign to do as they please is pathetic.t

Of course, the leaders of the various factions are on a wanted list, but tracking them down is not an easy task.

Well, so much for both sides negotiating to agree to consider a possible reduction or even a stop on violence during Ramadan. Now waiting for a terrorist to tell the government "It's your fault when we continue violence during Ramadan" sad.png

BS. The government will not subject itself to blackmail as "it's your fault when we continue violence".

Erm... the region is traditionally and predominantly Muslim and ethnic Malay, and was only annexed in 1909.

I'm sure they would be part of Malaysia had Thailand not claimed sovereignty over them.

Should parts of Isaan go back to Laos?

• Like 2

Well it is a little late now to fret over that.

Here in 2013 they are a part pf Thailand and Malaysia dosen't want them.

Well, so much for both sides negotiating to agree to consider a possible reduction or even a stop on violence during Ramadan. Now waiting for a terrorist to tell the government "It's your fault when we continue violence during Ramadan" sad.png

Well even if they had agreed to the demands. The mayhem would still continue. The BRN does not represent the active militants. A truce with them would only come about through the Imen or is it Iman. If any one is going to be able to talk peace during the Ramadan They are the ones. Not some person who consumes way to much alcohol for his own good.

1909, 1805 or 2013 what's the difference, they are part of Thailand and it doesn't matter what religion they have.

Next the Catholics gonna claim their part of Thailand?

Look at the world picture, in EVERY non-muslim country in the Western world where a large population of Muslims reside there is trouble, because those Muslims want to enforce their own rules and laws.

Nobody tells them to stay, if they want to be Malaysian, let them move over the border, there's still some free space available.

1909, 1805 or 2013 what's the difference, they are part of Thailand and it doesn't matter what religion they have.

Next the Catholics gonna claim their part of Thailand?

Look at the world picture, in EVERY non-muslim country in the Western world where a large population of Muslims reside there is trouble, because those Muslims want to enforce their own rules and laws.

Nobody tells them to stay, if they want to be Malaysian, let them move over the border, there's still some free space available.

exactly. Turning over like b...s is even worse.