Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Anyone know "The Place" in Lipa Noi?

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a villa in Samui for ~2.5 months next spring, with the following characteristics:

1) high-speed internet (an absolute MUST)
2) walking distance from a quiet beach (i.e. not Chaweng),
3) 2+ bedrooms,
4) no more than 80,000 baht per month
After contacting multiple agencies, by far the best option (in fact, the ONLY option matching all characteristics above) is www.theplacethailand.com in Lipa Noi. A 2-bedroom villa at 50,000 per month, 2 minutes from the beach. It's a really quiet area (need a car, but so what), and looks quite nice.
However, one agent (not the one marketing the place, obviously) tells me that this development is inactive, unfinished, and the builder has left the island. Well, as long as my villa is finished, that's not necessarily a deal-killer, but it certainly does raise red flags.
So: Anyone know this place?
Edited by yoellax

It was a bit of a derelict building site last time I visited , but all the villas are walled in anyway .. Is close to the beach but far from anything else

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

I don't know it but Lipa Noi is a long way from anything and you'll be hard pushed to find any restaurants there. Shopping you'll have to either go to Tesco in Lamai (limited goods) or the slog into Chaweng to Big C, Makro and Tesco. Alright it's not hours, but the roads in Samui are not the fastest in the world. I suspect if you're getting a cheap deal the place is not finished and you'll have building going on all hours of the day and night. I'd keep looking, there are loads of villas on the many holiday rental sites and many would welcome a long term let that time of year.

I don't know it but Lipa Noi is a long way from anything and you'll be hard pushed to find any restaurants there. Shopping you'll have to either go to Tesco in Lamai (limited goods) or the slog into Chaweng to Big C, Makro and Tesco. Alright it's not hours, but the roads in Samui are not the fastest in the world. I suspect if you're getting a cheap deal the place is not finished and you'll have building going on all hours of the day and night. I'd keep looking, there are loads of villas on the many holiday rental sites and many would welcome a long term let that time of year.

I don't mind having to drive to Chaweng for shopping - not like I need to go there everyday. Also don't mind having to drive to Nathon or similar for dinner. It's not a holiday, I'll be working most of the time anyhow.

Regarding other villas, I've been drawing lots of blank with several different agents. It's tough to find a long-term beachfront 2-bedroom house for a reasonable rate. Most beachfront properties (or rather, properties in beachfront developments) are 120,000 per month and up, and are much bigger than what we need. We'd be totally fine with a 80-sq.m. 2-bedroom house, as long as it's a beachfront development.

If you have any suggestions for villas, please send me a PM.

Off the top of my head

1 There are are more options. Tons of villas withing walking distance to quiet beaches. I will send you a PM when I have a bit of time.

2 The agent may or may not be telling the truth. Maybe they wanted to rent to you something else?

3 I have never heard of the place, but I would look carefully at the management company/who is running it? What if the phone/electric bill is not paid to to 'issues'. (I do not mean not paid by you - but who will you be paying?) The last thing that you need is to end up in a fight between suppliers and owners/management people.

Sorry - a bit confused.

Post #1 reads 'walking distance to a quiet beach'

Post #5 reads 'beachfront' which is it?

What months are you looking at?

Edited by Tropicalevo

Sorry - a bit confused.

Post #1 reads 'walking distance to a quiet beach'

Post #5 reads 'beachfront' which is it?

What months are you looking at?

I'm looking for a villa within a beachfront-development. "Walking distance" means walking distance for a two-year old. "Quiet" means not in Chaweng. West or South Samui are fine, as is Maenam, or similar.

I'm looking for something like mid-March to end-of-May 2014 (some flexibility here...)

Any suggestions welcome - please keep in mind that high-speed internet is a MUST, as is the distance to the beach. Also, a pool would be great - could be shared or private. Budget 80,000 per month...

If you're struggling to find exactly what you're looking for, then at that monthly budget, it might be worth considering some of the 2 bed family bungalow options to be found at some resorts, where I'm sure they would consider doing a long term deal for you. Somewhere like Smile House resort in Bophut etc. Then you get the beach nearby, the pool etc. and just need to check on the internet speed.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

it might be worth considering some of the 2 bed family bungalow options to be found at some resorts, where I'm sure they would consider doing a long term deal for you. Somewhere like Smile House resort in Bophut etc.

I'll check on that particular one, but in my experience those resorts don't do long-term rentals at competitive rates. They always provide daily breakfast and maid service, and thus the rates are more hotel-like. I already checked with the Coconut resorts in Maenam, they had absolutely no interest whatsoever.

If you know a particular resort that really offers this, please let me know.

it might be worth considering some of the 2 bed family bungalow options to be found at some resorts, where I'm sure they would consider doing a long term deal for you. Somewhere like Smile House resort in Bophut etc.

I'll check on that particular one, but in my experience those resorts don't do long-term rentals at competitive rates. They always provide daily breakfast and maid service, and thus the rates are more hotel-like. I already checked with the Coconut resorts in Maenam, they had absolutely no interest whatsoever.

If you know a particular resort that really offers this, please let me know.

Even at their standard rates, this particular example would fall within your budget. I'm guessing there might be others. Maybe worth checking on sawasdee.com ?

Cheers.

Perhaps I should start a new thread, since this no longer fits the headline ...

I've found an alternative to "The Place" in Lipa Noi, which is Baan Tropicana in Ban Tai. The rate is about the same (50,000 per month) for a 2-bed villa, and supposedly it's only one minute from the beach.

Any opinions on this one? How is the beach in that area (click here for map) compared to Lipa Noi? Is it crowded?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx

Edited by Rooo