"Movable House"

As most of Farangs know, the land he can not own, only the house on it (theoretically). Conventional homes can hardly be "moved". Still: Under certain circumstances, it would be very beneficial for a Farang if he could move HIS home to a different location.

Now hear this: Pre-Fab and "moveable" homes now available in Thailand. Very appealing exterior and interior. 2 sizes available, living area 50 or 100 sqm.

If interested, PM me. Cheers.

Possibly true and I'm interested if I stay longer term.

But in the past, the cost of buying one, then moving it- has been higher than the cost of building one onsite, then walking away and building another on the next site if things do go sideways with a land lease.

Has that changed?

If you dont trust your wife, why did you marry her

A vast majority of couples trust each other at the time of marriage. It's just time that will tell, if the trust was justified or not.

Every year, a good number of Farangs must discover, that trust can be a very one-sided affair. The parting of ways, (most of the time) means to the Farang, that his "immovable assets" remain where they are upon his leaving.

In a case like this, it would be in favor of the Farang, if at least he could take part of his investment with him, instead of leaving it ALL behind. (In form of a "movable" Pre-Fab home, for example.)

Only some "food for taught" for potential Farang house-builders in Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Without going into discussing again if marrying and trusting a Thaiis wise, let's look at the realistic choices for a foreigner to own a detached house in Thailand.

I do not think the "movable house" is a great idea. First and foremost you have to consider that you will be living in a trailer. I've lived in a double width one for a shortwhile, it was decent confortable and all, but it was still a trailer. No style, just a boring square place. Actually the entire town, a miner's town what like that, and it sucked. I don't know what other thinks but a trailer is not an house. Even a traditonal, wood built Thai house is better.

Then, you still have to enter a long time contract and deal with any possible inconvenience related to not owning the land.

And finally in case you decided to move, look at the related expenses, lost value, and aggravation related. Or do you really want to live the moment when your Thai landlord will offer to buy it for a tenth of the price you paid.

I think that if one is really determined in owning, find a escamotage to own land and house, or even better lease 30+30 yrs, build what you like and can afford, protect it with the best legal means possible, and then forget, you are not going to live forever anyway.

Me myself I'm not going to do anything anyway - Thai don't want foreigners to own property - fine with me, I'm happy enough owning the moment.

I had this idea a few years back. Ship in mobile homes that can be put on wifes land. If divorce ensues, you can ship the unit back to companies land in nakorn nowhere bought for storage or resale.

Great idea, just take a lot of capital. Even thought of contacting mobile home mfgs in US.

Trouble is Thai homes so cheap. Farangs though always have to.build em.out special. If more guys just built what Thais live in.and deal.with that, ez to.walk away. Most guys in a condo in bkk would lose more.

Edited by bangkokburning

Without going into discussing again if marrying and trusting a Thaiis wise, let's look at the realistic choices for a foreigner to own a detached house in Thailand.

I do not think the "movable house" is a great idea. First and foremost you have to consider that you will be living in a trailer. I've lived in a double width one for a shortwhile, it was decent confortable and all, but it was still a trailer. No style, just a boring square place. Actually the entire town, a miner's town what like that, and it sucked. I don't know what other thinks but a trailer is not an house. Even a traditonal, wood built Thai house is better.

Then, you still have to enter a long time contract and deal with any possible inconvenience related to not owning the land.

And finally in case you decided to move, look at the related expenses, lost value, and aggravation related. Or do you really want to live the moment when your Thai landlord will offer to buy it for a tenth of the price you paid.

I think that if one is really determined in owning, find a escamotage to own land and house, or even better lease 30+30 yrs, build what you like and can afford, protect it with the best legal means possible, and then forget, you are not going to live forever anyway.

Me myself I'm not going to do anything anyway - Thai don't want foreigners to own property - fine with me, I'm happy enough owning the moment.

Today's pre-fab-homes have very little resemblance of the "Trailers" back in the US years ago. Today, it's hard to say, if it's a standard construction or a pre-fab. (Time has not stood still.)

And above all: A pre-fab can not possibly be compared to a traditional wooden Thai-House (on stilts). The demontage of such a house and re-erection on an other site is far more labor-intensive than moving a pre-fab to an other location. (Not to forget, that those wooden structures are likely to be infested by "Woodworms", because the wood was not treated in the first place against those pests.

Further: A pre-fab is a finished product. Plumbing in place, fully equipped kitchen, plus air-condition and solar-panels on the roof (in my case) all at no extra cost. = A finished product!

Given the complicated legal "ownership/possession"-issue in Thailand, it should be some "food for taught" for future farang-investors here in Thailand, at the least.

Cheers.