Van driver injured by 2010 crackdown wants to confront Abhisit

webfact

On the 20th of May in the aftermath of the 'cleanup' we had "Police said elite troops had orders to shoot on sight anyone looting, committing arson or inciting unrest, following several days of urban warfare in the capital."

As for 'live fire zone', the army declared parts of Bangkok as such after violence re-erupted after the renegate general Seh Daeng was shot on the 13th of May. Lots of grenades fired by 'friendly militants' who just wanted to show their displeasure of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/15/redshirts-warn-civil-war-thai-troops

Well you see, here is an operative phrase, "Police said elite troops had orders to shoot on sight anyone looting,",

I don't think that would get anyone very far at all in a court of law.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

I would also be interested to learn how the van driver is so sure that the rounds that hit him were from the military.

<snip>

Because part of the evidence presented at court was a video of the incident in which you saw soldiers shooting at the van.

Well you see, here is an operative phrase, "Police said elite troops had orders to shoot on sight anyone looting,",

You would have to keep in mind that the army were only called in in the first place because the police refused to do their job.

Had, right from the start the police kept control then it is very likely things would not have developed as they did.

So believing the words of a police officer while decrying those of an army officer as we saw on another topic is pretty selective to say the least.

• Like 1

A few more details on this case which also saw a taxi driver and a 14-year-old boy killed by army firing at the van which had strayed into the live fire zone near Airport Rail Link's Rajprarop station.
2012-09-17 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/584972-army-behind-thai-protest-death-inquest/
2012-12-20 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606384-bangkok-criminal-court-concludes-army-killed-14-year-old-boy-during-2010-violence/

You would have to keep in mind that the army were only called in in the first place because the police refused to do their job.

Had, right from the start the police kept control then it is very likely things would not have developed as they did.

So believing the words of a police officer while decrying those of an army officer as we saw on another topic is pretty selective to say the least.

that's how it escalated out of control...by their passiveness to step aside, the designated area expanded..then it went downhill from there..they literally stepped aside for the mobs coming in by pick up truck.

that's how it escalated out of control...by their passiveness to step aside, the designated area expanded..then it went downhill from there..they literally stepped aside for the mobs coming in by pick up truck.

That's the point. The quotes about there being shoot on sight, are reportedly from police.

It appeared that there was an officially stated shoot on site policy implemented, which would have probably put Abhisit in the poop.

<snip>

I would also be interested to learn how the van driver is so sure that the rounds that hit him were from the military.

<snip>

Because part of the evidence presented at court was a video of the incident in which you saw soldiers shooting at the van.

And did this video also show him entering a live fire zone, and refusing to stop or acting in a suspicious or threatening manner?

<snip>

<snip>

And did this video also show him entering a live fire zone, and refusing to stop or acting in a suspicious or threatening manner?

They want to leave that out; selective pro-PTP clips-only accepted.

(Also funny how the videos are starting to disappear on youtube).

8th April - State of Emergency declared.

15th May - Several areas of the city near the protesters were designated as "live fire zones" by the military, and protesters entering these zones were to be shot on sight.

19th May - A curfew was declared and troops were authorized to shoot on sight anybody inciting unrest.

You were warned.

OK ! so just who authorised the "Shoot on sight" order. Against your own unarmed people , that is murder. This van driver was unarmed, the taxi driver was unarmed, the 14 yr old boy was unarmed and the nurse who was killed was unarmed, the Journo was unarmed but killed, the RTA had a "turkey shoot "that day, and Abisit and Suthep just could not care less.

I think you should have a look in the dictionary for the definition of "a day".

Besides that, the driver was shot because he didn't stop at a check point. The taxi driver and the boy were shot because of the van driver. The journo was shot during a battle between armed red shirts. And finally, the nurse was probably shot by armed red shirts (aka black shirts). That was over a period of about 6 weeks, not a day.

Van Driver Injured By 2010 Crackdown Wants To Confront Abhisit

Posted Image

Mr. Samorn Maithong showing the wound he said was caused by soldiers' gunfire.

Image: KHAOSOD English

BANGKOK: -- The van driver shot and injured during military operation against the Redshirt protesters in May 2010 says he wants to meet Former PM Abhisit Vejjajeeva at the court and ask him what the former leader has to say about the operation that led to his injury.

Mr. Samorn Maithong was driving his van in central Bangkok on the night of 15 May 2010 when he encountered a roadblock manned by the soldiers who were tightening their grip around the Redshirts′ main encampment. The van was subsequently shot upon, and Mr. Samorn was injured by the gunfire. He had insisted the soldiers shot him.

While Mr. Samorn escaped with gunshot wound, others were not as lucky. A taxi driver and a 14 year old boy were shot and killed as they observed the gunfire from a distance. The court′s inquest has said last December that the taxi driver, Pan Kamkong, was killed by the soldiers who manned the checkpoint.

Recently, the Division of Special Investigation (DSI) forwarded the files about his injury to the Attorney General in order to process the criminal case against Mr. Abhisit, whom the DSI named as the person responsible for authorizing the military operation. Mr. Abhisit is scheduled to appear at the court this 26 June, but it is not certain whether he would show up in person.

Speaking to our correspondent, Mr. Samorn expressed his pleasure to know that his case is being processed by the DSI and said he would attend the court hearing tomorrow (26 June) as well. He said he hoped to meet Mr. Abhisit there so he could ask the former Prime Minister about his feeling for what he had done. [more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qRTFNek0zTVE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-25

Play around a war zone when the military is trying to clear up a terrorist operation and you are asking for it. Too bad, so sad.

8th April - State of Emergency declared.

15th May - Several areas of the city near the protesters were designated as "live fire zones" by the military, and protesters entering these zones were to be shot on sight.

19th May - A curfew was declared and troops were authorized to shoot on sight anybody inciting unrest.

You were warned.

Shot on sight?

Where did you get those rules of engagement from?

Suthep said that he believes this to be in line with international best practice, you see he has never heard of Water Cannon, Tear Gas or Rubber bullets. The RTA found it much easier to shoot innocent protesters sheltering in a temple than to control the Southern Terrorists.

Actually the soldiers did try with various non lethal weapons first, but they were shot at, captured, beaten and killed. You can google the pictures. Do you know any soldier anywhere in the world who wants to enter a gunfight wielding teargas, rubber bullets or a water cannon? I don't :-)

• Like 1

"he encountered a roadblock manned by the soldiers who were tightening their grip around the Redshirts′ main encampment. The van was subsequently shot upon, and Mr. Samorn was injured by the gunfire".

"He had insisted the soldiers shot him".

Based upon what evidence?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he approached a road block manned by soldiers, and then came under fire, is it in any way conceivable that other soldiers had fired on the road block... or is it more likely that the fire came from those opposing the soldiers? Being a logical kind of person, I know which argument I prefer...!!

well it would appear he was shot in the back - only examination of the vehicle and where he was in relation to the soldiers he claims shot him would provide a clue to his claims but of course the DSI already investigated this so it must be true that he was shot by soldiers........right

• 3 weeks later...

The action against Abhisit is nothing but a ploy to have a chance to bargain for Thaksin's return. It is nothing about innocents getting shot by the army. I'm sure some innocents were shot but I doubt any were murdered. I am sure many of those injured intended to injure or kill others too.

If you choose to run around in an area where there are violent protest going on or try to run brought a military checkpoint without stopping then what can you seriously expect.

I do not understand the people who support this government when it seems absolutely obvious that the PTP is totally uninterested in anything save getting Thaksin home free of his criminal conviction and absolved of the other cases against him, and the proceeds of corruption.

What policy has actually benefitted the people, I. Don't mean on the face of the policies because most are blatant glossy adverts, but rather beneficial in the long term?

Policies that WOULD benefit Thailand might be something along the lines of:

1. No tolerance of corruption law and double punishment for those convicted.

2. Mandatory Dual language education programme with free education from age 5 and transportation arrangements,properly supervised, for those living more than 2 kilometers from school. A target for all school leavers to be able to read and write English to a minimum level to ensure current students are in the best position to take advantage of ASEAN (where the universal business language is English).

3. A programme of school infrastructure expansion to maintain buildings and equipment as well as stringent accounting and expense controls on private schools.

4. An overhaul of the justice system and access to justice incorporating more modern court procedures and targets for the e goth of trial procedures to stop delays by lawyers.

5. A police investigative arm and complete overhaul of the role of police, specific laws controlling the police and an overhaul of their salary arrangements.

6. An increase in the education and employment of tax officials to monitor VAT fraud and a massive expansion in the remit and authority of the anti- corruption department.

There's a selection of ideas for any new political party wanting to help the people of Thaiand better their quality of life.

Not going to waste my time with this just want to know why he dosen't want to talk to Thaksin the instigator and financial backer of the whole thing. Is he afraid he will have to give his money back.

actually maybe if he was awarded money to tell the truth but then that would still be bought and paid for

It's about time some of these people realised they could be hero's by simply telling the truth - what an opertunity to actually be remembered in Thai history