Thai Public Health Ministry observes "National Iodine Day"

webfact

Ministry of Public Health observes "National Iodine Day"

BANGKOK, 26 June 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Health, under the Ministry of Public Health held an event to commemorate the “National Iodine Day on June 25.

The event was held at The Mall Ngamwongwan department store, in Nonthaburi province under the theme “Wisdom builds the nation, Thai people must not lack iodine”. Deputy Public Health Minister Chonlanan Srikaew presided over the opening ceremony of the event.

According to statistics, over 20 percent of the Thai population do not care to consume iodine-added products, resulting in a high number of people with iodine deficiency. The trend continues to be a health problem that must be solved with cooperation from all sectors, both public and private, the deputy minister said.

Iodine deficiency shows severe effects on pregnant mothers, some leading to miscarriages. Iodine deficiency can also result in malfunctions in the child, both before and after birth. It can cause low IQ, mental retardation and even brain damage in children.

The World Health Organization has set to lower iodine deficiency by stating that purified salt consumed in communities must contain iodized salt at a minimum rate of 90%.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-26 footer_n.gif

I must admit I've never heard of National Iodine Day until now so when will Chalerm use his influence and lobby for a National Ear Medicine Day for the nation that is, he seems to have one everyday.

They could have it on the No Alcohol Day.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Table 1. Common Sources of Dietary Iodine

Cheese

Cows milk

Eggs

Frozen Yogurt

Ice Cream

Iodine-containing multivitamins

Iodized table salt

Saltwater fish

Seaweed (including kelp, dulce, nori)

Shellfish

Soy milk

Soy sauce

Yogurt

http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/

I am surprised Thai's don't have iodine surplus. eggs, soy sauce, soy milk, salt water fish, and shell fish. all prevelant in Thai cuisine. Throw in an ever increasing consumption of dairy products...

What you say is true but I think there is more to it than that.It was my underrstanding that many Thais have a problem with there thyroid. I take that to be not enough Iodine. I could be wrong on that.

We had a friend who would take Iodine and mix it 50/50 with water, use a small paint brush 1 and 1/2 inches wide and paint it on an area of her body arm leg it didn't matter. Her skin would turn Yellow and at first you could almost see it return to it's natural color. After a while it would stay yellow for up to an hour before it would start to fade.

She was healthy and for some reason started to lose weight also.

Maybe an old wives tale but it made since to me having watched it for a while.

Any one else know anything about this?

We had a friend who would take Iodine and mix it 50/50 with water, use a small paint brush 1 and 1/2 inches wide and paint it on an area of her body arm leg it didn't matter. Her skin would turn Yellow and at first you could almost see it return to it's natural color. After a while it would stay yellow for up to an hour before it would start to fade.

Please explain EXACTLY what this process or test was designed to achieve.

Iodine used in this way (as Hypoiodous acid which is what you describe) will oxidise when exposed to the oxygen in the air and so change color.

Are you suggesting that this is a method to administer a dose of Iodine?

Or just a way to dye skin like a tattoo?

Sounds like another Thai "wisdom" folklore cure that is nonsense. crazy.gif

• Like 1

Table 1. Common Sources of Dietary Iodine

Cheese

Cows milk

Eggs

Frozen Yogurt

Ice Cream

Iodine-containing multivitamins

Iodized table salt

Saltwater fish

Seaweed (including kelp, dulce, nori)

Shellfish

Soy milk

Soy sauce

Yogurt

http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/

I am surprised Thai's don't have iodine surplus. eggs, soy sauce, soy milk, salt water fish, and shell fish. all prevelant in Thai cuisine. Throw in an ever increasing consumption of dairy products...

What you say is true but I think there is more to it than that.It was my underrstanding that many Thais have a problem with there thyroid. I take that to be not enough Iodine. I could be wrong on that.

She was healthy and for some reason started to lose weight also.

Maybe an old wives tale but it made since to me having watched it for a while.

Any one else know anything about this?

People need micrograms per day. For a normal greatly healthy person there is enough in food, if you use a shake of iodised salt a day, or some soy sauce, it's should be more than enough.

Please explain EXACTLY what this process or test was designed to achieve.

Iodine used in this way (as Hypoiodous acid which is what you describe) will oxidise when exposed to the oxygen in the air and so change color.

Are you suggesting that this is a method to administer a dose of Iodine?

Or just a way to dye skin like a tattoo?

Sounds like another Thai "wisdom" folklore cure that is nonsense. crazy.gif

Well if you had read my whole post you would have noted that at first it would oxidase and disappear real fast. After a while a couple of weeks give or take it would stay yellow for quite a while.

You tell me why it originally disappeared very fast and after a while it took an hour.

She said she was doing it to loose weight which she did.

It by no means was under controlled conditions just some thing she told me about and I got to see the time difference,

You have explained to my satisfaction why it changed color now explain why after a while it stayed on her a lot longer.

I pretty much agree with you that it is probably an old wives tale but I can not explain the time differentials for the fading. It made no difference where she put it on her arm or leg.

When I bought over to Thailand a Salt Grinder ... I filled it with salt with added Iodine.

The GF's niece suffers from a thyroid problem, which could be due, in part, or whole to an Iodine deficiency.

I couldn't believe the headline for starters and I was dumfounded when I read the story.

What is all of this nonsense about?

There are far more pressing issues than this regards health such as don't trust 99% of prescriptions given out by health advisors. They could shut down all of the fastfood and processed food companies, encourage the partaking of exercise, get everyone to expose at least 30% of their bodies to the mid-day sun for 20 minutes a day. NB; these are only a personal opinion and not health advice and please consult a health advisor first. Not sure if he will agree the first one though!!!!

My father applied a tincture of iodine to all the cuts and grazes that I picked up in my boyhood. I do not hold a Ph.D. Go figure.

Along with many others, I still use it. A small bottle of Betadine is a staple in most first aid kits. I've also seen it as a solid (consistency was a bit like boot polish, in the same kind of tin). I has a fall in Indonesia, and some very kind man with filthy dirty hands produced a tin, stuck his finger in it and covered a big graze on my arm.

I remember reading about concerns over iodine deficiencies in Australia. Apparently milk processing equipment at farms used to be cleaned out with iodine every day, and the tiny amount of residual left on the stainless steel after rinsing was enough to seep into the following day's milk, but they don't use it any more so there's none in dairy products, and of course we're told constantly not to use salt, hence people no longer get sufficient.

I'm full of useless information like that. Never remember important things because my brain is so full of useless information.