Best retirement visa procedure coming from Los Angeles.

Again, you do not NEED any "retirement visa" (commonly called an O-A) to retire in Thailand.

This I can say with 100 percent confidence.

It is NEVER required. It is only an option for starting.

You can start with a 30 day stamp or tourist visa and do a CHANGE OF VISA status in Chiang Mai as part of a two step process, with the second step being the annual retirement extension.

Many people also start with a SINGLE entry O visa obtained at a "friendly" consulate in their home country or commonly in the region, Malaysia and Laos. Then they later start with a retirement extension done at their local Thai immigration office.

To suggest someone would need to travel back to the USA to retire in Thailand is simply incorrect information ... sorry.

If you want to choose the O-A option, which is only one choice, not required to retire here, then that is true, only available in the home country.

To suggest someone would need to travel back to the USA to retire in Thailand is simply incorrect information ... sorry.

If you want to choose the O-A option, which is only one choice, not required to retire here, then that is true, only available in the home country.

Jing, All my comments to this OP have dealt with the O-A Visa, and you certainly do need to get it in your home country. No need to state in the first sentence that I have given them incorrect information, and your second statement that I am absolutely correct. Please read all posts. I am unsure why you keep asking the OP about all of his financial information when in his first post he told you he is aware of what he needs to do financially.

The OP has already decided on an O-A. I wanted him to state his financial intentions for qualifications because only with that info could anyone give him more CUSTOMIZED advice/info on the pros and cons of starting with an O-A or not. For example someone who is a full income qualifier does not have the problem of needing a seasoned Thai bank account and would often be a better candidate for starting without an O-A.

It would really be great if people gave more info when asking for advice here but asking for followup info when they don't that might help in giving better info is NORMAL.

Again, to suggest anyone needs to get ANY visa in your home country to begin retirement in Thailand remains incorrect, and I won't apologize for correcting incorrect information posted here, when I am confident it is incorrect. Not only don't you need an O-A "retirement visa" you don't actually need ANY visa from your home country, though generally I would recommend having some visa to start.

Whether you were only talking O-A or not you did not specify O-A when making your wide assertion about needing to back to the USA. Regrets if there are any bad feelings about that, but this is about communicating facts and information to help people out.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. You guys are getting confusing. Based on the OPs situation, what would be the EASIEST option. I know I just did this and getting the "retirement" visa from the LA office was a breeze. 90 day reporting here in Pattaya is a 5 minute job. Other than that, dealing with immigration is a major headache.

IMHO, if I could get most of this done via mail in the US, I'd go for that option. Am I missing something? Thanks!!!

Not really confused. The OP has decided now on an O-A so this case is basically sorted. At first, it seems he didn't even know there were OTHER options than starting with an O-A. Knowing your options is generally a good thing in my book.

Not really confused. The OP has decided now on an O-A so this case is basically sorted. At first, it seems he didn't even know there were OTHER options than starting with an O-A. Knowing your options is generally a good thing in my book.

OK. But just for my clarification, if he hadn't decided, what would be the easiest route?

OK. But just for my clarification, if he hadn't decided, what would be the easiest route?

There is no one answer for all retirees but based on the info that has been shared, the O-A sounds just fine! Like I said -- sorted.

Different people here have different approaches. Mine is based more on customization and yes sometimes needing to ask questions that might be relevant to the situation.

Some people think the O-A is always the best and/or easiest option for all retirees. I will never think that.

I've noticed some people seem to be always trashing the O-A no matter the situation. I won't do that either.

For many people, either path would be perfectly OK, but for other people, there is a clear reason why one option is better than the other (O-A vs. not starting with O-A).

Edited by Jingthing

Single entry "O" visa and a quick visit to the immigration guys secures a one year (renewable) extension of stay !

Seems very simple to me !

However some may enjoy the effort involved in obtaining police and medical reports as part of the "O-A" process!

My

Again, you do not NEED any "retirement visa" (commonly called an O-A) to retire in Thailand.

This I can say with 100 percent confidence.

It is NEVER required. It is only an option for starting.

You can start with a 30 day stamp or tourist visa and do a CHANGE OF VISA status in Chiang Mai as part of a two step process, with the second step being the annual retirement extension.

Many people also start with a SINGLE entry O visa obtained at a "friendly" consulate in their home country or commonly in the region, Malaysia and Laos. Then they later start with a retirement extension done at their local Thai immigration office.

Jing, All my comments to this OP have dealt with the O-A Visa, and you certainly do need to get it in your home country. No need to state in the first sentence that I have given them incorrect information, and your second statement that I am absolutely correct. Please read all posts. I am unsure why you keep asking the OP about all of his financial information when in his first post he told you he is aware of what he needs to do financially.

The OP has already decided on an O-A. I wanted him to state his financial intentions for qualifications because only with that info could anyone give him more CUSTOMIZED advice/info on the pros and cons of starting with an O-A or not. For example someone who is a full income qualifier does not have the problem of needing a seasoned Thai bank account and would often be a better candidate for starting without an O-A.

It would really be great if people gave more info when asking for advice here but asking for followup info when they don't that might help in giving better info is NORMAL.

Again, to suggest anyone needs to get ANY visa in your home country to begin retirement in Thailand remains incorrect, and I won't apologize for correcting incorrect information posted here, when I am confident it is incorrect. Not only don't you need an O-A "retirement visa" you don't actually need ANY visa from your home country, though generally I would recommend having some visa to start.

Whether you were only talking O-A or not you did not specify O-A when making your wide assertion about needing to back to the USA. Regrets if there are any bad feelings about that, but this is about communicating facts and information to help people out.

I am going to be going the full cash in the bank route as I don't have any income after retirement at this point. This may change in future but I am not going to count on it.

For many people, either path would be perfectly OK, but for other people, there is a clear reason why one option is better than the other (O-A vs. not starting with O-A).

------------------

I was unable to get an O-A visa when I retired simply because I then had my legal residence in Greece where I worked and lived at the time I applied for retirement.

Therefore my "local police force" was Greek and that gave problems getting a police report for the Q-A visa,

So I got a non O visa instead, and extended it later in Thailand based on retirement.

Easy, just have the funds or income required by immigration rules.

• Like 1

There is a office on Larchmont street across for the LA Thai Consulate that helped me with my O visa. You can PM me for their name and phone number. My wife and I used their services because we were totally lost on how and what type of visa I needed. It cost, but it was well worth it for us.

Also, there is the requirement to check in with your local Thai Immigration office every 90 days, so it is pretty important to have a permanent address if you go for the O visa from LA. Sounds like a tourist visa might be you best bet until you can decide where you want to live. Good luck and have a great retirement.

I assume you mean an O-A visa.

Strange, but my Thai visa just says "O". Issued in LA.

Thanks everybody for all your input.

I am not saying this not necessary, but I can't find any reference to needing a police report on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website. I found the health requirements, visa form, fees, address, hours, FAQ's but so far no mention of a police record report being needed on the LA Thai Consulate website. I will give it another poking around later tonight.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=47

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa.aspx

I live in Modesto, Ca and mailed my O-A Long stay Visa application in on June 24, 2013. I got it back in 12 calendar days, approved and glued into my US Passport! I hear parking is difficult near the Thai Consulate and USPS Express Mail may be a snap for you. Good luck and see you in LOS. I arrive August 12th.:)

A lot of very good replies on this topic. My understanding is that to get the retirement extension on income alone only requires the affidavit from the US Embassy that needs no bank statement or check stub verification. Is that true? Simply swearing that you get 65,000B a month income is all that is required? Of course I won't swear it if it wasn't true.

Thanks everybody for all your input.

I am not saying this not necessary, but I can't find any reference to needing a police report on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website. I found the health requirements, visa form, fees, address, hours, FAQ's but so far no mention of a police record report being needed on the LA Thai Consulate website. I will give it another poking around later tonight.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=47

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa.aspx

Look here:

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence. The verification must not be more than three months old.

If anybody is planning on getting a non OA visa and bringing your wife along this from previously posted link is very important.

If the applicant's spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the applicant's valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting documentation. If the applicant's spouse is not qualified for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+), the spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary Residents.

This means the wife would be getting a multiple entry visa and making border runs every 90 days because she would not be able to get a dependent extension based upon the OA entry.

The best choice is in this case would be for both to get a single entry non-o visa from a honorary consulate and get an extension of stay here.

I live in Modesto, Ca and mailed my O-A Long stay Visa application in on June 24, 2013. I got it back in 12 calendar days, approved and glued into my US Passport! I hear parking is difficult near the Thai Consulate and USPS Express Mail may be a snap for you. Good luck and see you in LOS. I arrive August 12th.:)

Did you have to submit a police report and did you use the Los Angeles consulate?

I live in Modesto, Ca and mailed my O-A Long stay Visa application in on June 24, 2013. I got it back in 12 calendar days, approved and glued into my US Passport! I hear parking is difficult near the Thai Consulate and USPS Express Mail may be a snap for you. Good luck and see you in LOS. I arrive August 12th.smile.png

Did you have to submit a police report and did you use the Los Angeles consulate?

There is NO DOUBT that you must submit a police report for any O-A application anywhere.

If for some reason you think it is a big problem for you to either obtain a police report (most people say it's easy and cheap) or for some reason you don't want to reveal what will be IN your police report to the Thai authorities, then you don't have to apply for an O-A, and you can use another retirement in Thailand visa path that does not involve an O-A as already discussed on this thread (as starting without an O-A will NOT require a police report).

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, a police clearance letter is required. I followed the LA Thai Consulate website requirements exactly and provided all the documents it listed. What was a bit confusing was the notarized copies of everything. I had the original set of required documents notarized and then made copies of it. Worked perfectly. Follow the official website is my advice.

It wasnt easy to find on the la thai site http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

you can get an LA police report online google search it you can download at once and edit it if necessary (have them also mail you one as the cover sheet will be time stamped if you have time)

medical cert can be filled out by your vet its just a formality

what is important is be sure that when you make copies of all to send ( keep one copy for yourself ) BE SURE TO GIVE THEM THE ORIGINALS as copy #1

and if your planning on staying in thailand get from AAA a international drivers license (car and bike) it will save you time at motor vehicles here

lastly when you clear immigration here they will staple your white immigration exit form to your passport(you will get this on the plane) MAKE SURE THE ENTRY STAMP THEY STAMP INTO YOUR PASSPORT IS FOR 1 YEAR

i just did all this before i arrived in april this year everything went smoothly

had a small blip when i tried to open a bank account here,,,but just went to another bank and no problems

This notarization requirement is why I recommend that you do not use the Los Angeles Consulate (or Chicago) for a O-A. Use the Embassy in Washington, which does not have the notarization requirements

But he's near LA. A lot of people prefer not to mail their passport if they don't have to.

This notarization requirement is why I recommend that you do not use the Los Angeles Consulate (or Chicago) for a O-A. Use the Embassy in Washington, which does not have the notarization requirements

But he's near LA. A lot of people prefer not to mail their passport if they don't have to.

Well like they say, up to you , but when one reads about all the problems this notarization requirement has had for other members, the US Postal Service option to the Embassy in Washington trumps being close to a consulate, IMHO

Well like they say, up to you , but when one reads about all the problems this notarization requirement has had for other members, the US Postal Service option to the Embassy in Washington trumps being close to a consulate, IMHO

Why is it a problem? My bank did it for free. Took 15 minutes and we were done.

Why is it a problem? My bank did it for free. Took 15 minutes and we were done.

See this post by NancyL as an an example of problems caused by the notary requirement at Chicago

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649946-application-for-ret